Sram force 22 bb30 crank spindle

hi all. Have a cannondale supersix evo 2015. Replacing my Sram Rival 22 pf30 chainset with force 22 bb30 and have noticed the spindle length is longer on the new force setup.

I only have the existing spacer that was used drive side on the Rival setup, which ive kept in place. Do i need to put this on the non drive side for it to fit better? Or buy some others? Currently, it's way off and the front derailleur would need massive adjustment

Also im presuming my q factor will be increased using these new cranks. Guess there's no way around that :-/

Thanks

Comments

• chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    edited September 2020
    Okay, so I lined them up properly and the force spindle looks just over 2mm longer than rival (measured from the adjuster). There's already a spacer on the non drive side but looks like I'll need another 2.5 either before or after the preload adjuster to take up the extra length. Shape of the rival arm is curved so appears the q factor might end up the same from what i can tell

If anyone thinks im wrong using the 2.5mm spacer then pls let me know!

Ps a cassette spacer is 2.5mm.. could i get away with using one?

Cheers
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    have you checked the sram install document? that should show which spacers go where

might be this one...
    https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/user-manuals/sram-road/drivetrain/95-6118-015-000-rev-c-road-cranksets-and-bottom-brackets.pdf
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • chatlow
    edited September 2020
    Thanks, yeah i saw that that and although it seems to apply correctly to my previous sram rival 22 setup (alu, so 13mm DS spacer, nothing on NDS unless spacer was provided), it doesn't match up with my new force 22 setup (carbon, so 13mm DS, 4.84 spacer, then preload adjuster on NDS)

When its on and tightened, there's around 2mm side to side movement, so I thought it needed a 2.5mm spacer on NDS, but when measuring spindle length from the adjuster on both, there seems to only be a mm difference - so I'm not sure what size to get now :-/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    edited September 2020
    from memory my red has the 13mm ds, and on nds there's the adjuster (which maybe has a thin washer with it to go on the inside edge nearest the bearing shield) plus 2.5mm between the adjuster and the inner face of the crank arm

edit: also, each side has a wavy washer immediately outside each bearing shield

allowing for adjustment range, perhaps that's the 'missing' c. 1mm you have?

afaik the spacers should come with the cranks, you can get spares...
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SRAM-BB30-Spacer-Kit-2x-2-5mm-_50289.htm?sku=135153
    ...whether you need zero, one or both must depend on the bb shell width

not my image, but mine looks similar to this but i have the wavy washer too...

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • chatlow
    Thanks, okay, gonna go with the gap left over when new crank fitted, and it looks like 2.5mm spacer will fix this. Hopefully i dont need the wavey washers too but sounds likely!
  • chatlow
    edited September 2020
    @sungod looks like ive got it fixed without extra spacers. Adjuster was pretty loose so tightened it slightly and dialled it out over half way before tightening the crank. Then i was able to fill the extra gap by adjusting out a little bit more. No side to side play now, although its spins with a bit more resistance so maybe need to play with it and add more grease.

Adding a 1mm spacer would also have worked but appears there's no need

Thanks anyway