Groupset & Wheelset advice

My first post on this site, so Hello everybody ! I've done a fair amount of research to where my head is now spinning a bit so I would appreciate some advice from you bike gurus out there.
I recently purchased a new 2018 S-Works SL6 Tarmac Frame Set (minus the BB) as the price was too tempting to pass up but more importantly to me was having the opportunity to own a bike with DI2 and Disc as my other road bikes have mechanical shifting and rim brakes.
Money is an issue so obviously I want to chose wisely on the build. Unfortunately Dura Race is way out of the equation, Ultegra is still in the uncomfortable zone but a possibility, whereas Shimano 105 is affordable, however, I have never ridden with that groupset so I need other riders input who have or had 105's ? Also would having Shimano 105 on the bike be detrimental as far as resale , as most higher end Frame Sets tend to have the more expensive groupsets on them ?
Lastly, I know a good wheelset is important but spending anywhere above $1600 is also not in the equation, so again I would appreciate recommendations on a wheelset, costing ideally between $850-1100. I'm open to buying used but that can be problematic. I have checked out Rovel CL 38 (new), CLX 40 & Zipp 303 used but please let me know if I should be looking elsewhere ?
One last thing, Ceramic Bottom Brackets, is it money well spent / justified ?
Thank you for your time. Ride safe & stay well !

Comments

• As far as I know, 105 isn't compatible with Di2. Minimum requirement is Ultegra. I use 105, being a recreational cyclist, I don't think I need anything higher and they are clean, sharp and reliable.
    Trek Domane SL5
    Giant Defy - upgraded
    Leisure cyclist
    #CycleLondon
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited September 2020
    Surely if money is an issue then you shouldn't bother with Di2? It's good but it is quite an additional expense over mechanical groupsets.

I'm assuming you're American so if so get wheels from Light Bicycle. They're a Chinese company but have a US warehouse and you can get fantastic wheels in your price range. There's none of the risk of them being shipped from China as long as they're in stock in their US warehouse.

Ceramic BB bearings are a waste of money, especially if you're on a tight budget.
  • As Oxoman says.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    For the price of Ultegra Di2 you can get Dura ace mechanical.

Personally I'd get the Di2, once you have tried it you'll never want mechanical again.

Wheels wise you could go for the older Roval CL50 as they're will be loads coming up as people switch to the new Rapides.

Ceramic BBs are pointless, I've got the ceramicspeed one on my S-Works and can tell no difference between it and a standard bearing.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Whilst 105 is perfectly adequate for 99% of us, I think on an S-Works frame you want at least Ultegra.

+1 for some Lightbicycle wheels. You could get a set built up on some DT Swiss 350 or 240 hubs with CX-Rays that would be lovely. The Roval wheels use DT Swiss internals I believe.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    mrb123 said:

Whilst 105 is perfectly adequate for 99% of us, I think on an S-Works frame you want at least Ultegra.

+1 for some Lightbicycle wheels. You could get a set built up on some DT Swiss 350 or 240 hubs with CX-Rays that would be lovely. The Roval wheels use DT Swiss internals I believe.

Yeah the Rovals are DT internals (I'm on my second set of CL50s).
  • Thank you to everybody that replied to my questions. "gifted animal" you're right, swore I saw 105's available in DI2, my mistake. The reason I purchased the S-Works Tarmac Frame Set was that it's compatiable with either DI2 or mechanical groupset and it's Disc as well which seems to be the way the industry is heading. However, it sounds like a lot of riders aren't prepared to buy into those upgrades for whatever reason which I greatly respect. I guess if a cyclist has never converted to DI2, then what you've never had, you don't miss. It's probably a good idea to throw on the Dura-Ace or Ultegra mechanical groupset from one of my other bikes first so I can get the the new Frame Set up and running before any additional outlay on Ultegra DI2.
    From fellow riders replies, it sounds like the Wheelset needs to be my focus. I definitely do not want too deep a rim as I have them on another bike which are too twitchy for me in a cross wind.
    Happy I didn't pay for a Ceramic BB, considering the comments : )
    My Best, Fellow Brit