Colnago C64 Carbon

Anybody know where the carbon tubes are made? I know they frames are bonded and painted in Italy but do they actually make their own tubes?

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,110
    edited September 2020
    Toray Japanese carbon fibre with tubes made in Toray's China factory AFAIKS.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,584
    I thought they claimed even the carbon came from just down the road from the factory?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I think they used to get carbon fibre from an Italian supplier but that supplier went out of business and they switched to Toray who seem to have factories everywhere. That's just from digging through other forum posts so who knows.
  • Why does it matter?
  • I like to know where my money's going if I spend it I guess, like to know the 'story' behind the stuff. Especially for the cost of it.

The fact that they don't make the tubes isn't completely surprising though. I doubt the steel bike builders have smelters in the back, they're ordering tubes from somewhere too.
  • In Colnago's case they order their own unique steel tubes from Columbus (DT 15V for the Master X Light) which is approx. 5 miles from manufacturer to manufacturer. So for them it pretty much is round the back.

• Not for the C64
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Invariably any carbon bike frame will have some Chinese heritage unless you go with a niche brand with someone such as Parlee.

If you look at Pinarello, it would be interesting to have an informed view which has a greater cost to the business , marketing or manufacturing.

There’s nothing wrong with bring a brand whore but taking time to research where your hard earned cash is going is to be commended.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    slowmart said:

Invariably any carbon bike frame will have some Chinese heritage unless you go with a niche brand with someone such as Parlee.

So what Chinese heritage does a C64 have? If they make them using Toray carbon fibre that is a Japanese business with manufacturing plants in several countries.

PP