Rose no longer shipping to UK!

So this halfway down the road.cc page today 1916/09/2020 https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-16-september-2020-277297

They won’t ship bikes or frames to the UK anymore due to changes in production processes and legal reasons. These being that we have our cockpits the wrong way around. Always wanted one but I guess it maybe difficult to buy a new one now

Comments

• ☝️☝️ Thanks
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rose-halting-sales-of-bikes-to-uk/

Another thread on it here from the Singletrack forum if you're interested.
  • Thanks for the clarification. Went onto the website earlier and there were no bikes, just a load of gear in the sale. Shame, as the latest Rose SL was on my (albeit quite long ) list for a new bike.
  • Thanks for sharing
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    So it seems to do with legal requirement for UK bikes to have front brake on the right hand side. Hasn't this always been the case, or recent change/update?
    I can't understand what difference it makes which side the brakes are on? (Especially as disc brakes become more common and in fact as drive/ride on left, I would've thought safer to have front brake on left, when indicating to turn right)
    It's not even comparable to a left hand drive car import.
    Could we expect other direct wholesalers likes of Ribble/Canyon et el to follow suit?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    andyh01 said:

So it seems to do with legal requirement for UK bikes to have front brake on the right hand side. Hasn't this always been the case, or recent change/update?
    I can't understand what difference it makes which side the brakes are on? (Especially as disc brakes become more common and in fact as drive/ride on left, I would've thought safer to have front brake on left, when indicating to turn right)
    It's not even comparable to a left hand drive car import.
    Could we expect other direct wholesalers likes of Ribble/Canyon et el to follow suit?

Ribble are based in the UK so no.
  • I presume the UK market could not have been big for them, I personally had never heard of them until recent news. It will certainly be there loss.
    So Far!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    loltoride said:

I presume the UK market could not have been big for them, I personally had never heard of them until recent news. It will certainly be there loss.

Why would it be their loss if as you say the UK market wasn't big for them ?

They did a really nice gravel bike that I was looking at so I'm disappointed at the news.
  • A friend of mine recently bought a Kona hardtail from Go-Outdoors and it was supplied set up 'euro' style. He damn near had an accident after years of riding UK style and instinctively going for the 'wrong' brake. Thankfully they were hydros so a hose swap was a doddle.

So it turns out Go-outdoors shouldn't have supplied it that way at all. Makes me wonder if there have been any other people who have been sold similar setups and had issues.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    edward.s said:

A friend of mine recently bought a Kona hardtail from Go-Outdoors and it was supplied set up 'euro' style. He damn near had an accident after years of riding UK style and instinctively going for the 'wrong' brake. Thankfully they were hydros so a hose swap was a doddle.

So it turns out Go-outdoors shouldn't have supplied it that way at all. Makes me wonder if there have been any other people who have been sold similar setups and had issues.

Surely though, the first thing anyone does, esp on a new bike, is to "test" the brakes... Followed by ensuring handlebars and other bolts are tight, gears index and tires have air in them 😁
  • fenix said:

loltoride said:

I presume the UK market could not have been big for them, I personally had never heard of them until recent news. It will certainly be there loss.

They did a really nice gravel bike that I was looking at so I'm disappointed at the news.
    I would of thought having to pull out of one of the largest consumer markets in the world would be a lost for any company not able to make it work.

Why don't you just go and purchase the bike from store if your that disappointed, problem solved.
    So Far!
  • fenix said:

loltoride said:

He was either being ironic or just a mistake in his post. Not saying he isn't incorrect, it's just that I prefer to think of non condescending alternatives before I judge someone to be intrinsically wrong. To be wrong is a slippery slope to being a moron. But I'm rambling off topic..........

Never ordered from Rose, how did they compare to CRC, Wiggle or the big A?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    loltoride said:

fenix said:

loltoride said:

I would of thought having to pull out of one of the largest consumer markets in the world would be a lost for any company not able to make it work.

Why don't you just go and purchase the bike from store if your that disappointed, problem solved.
    Why don't I travel to Germany to buy a bike. In the middle of a global pandemic?

By the time you add the travel costs and expense and my time - well it's no bargain any more is it.

It's a nice looking bike but a lot of bikes available in the UK are nice too. So I went for one of them.
  • FWIW, when speaking to Rose for this article, I got the impression that they really do plan to reenter the UK market in the future.

I think the double hit of trying to accommodate the UK's legal requirements in serial production alongside Brexit uncertainty is simply too much to stomach for now. We'll update that original news story as and when we hear more from Rose.
    Assistant Editor for BikeRadar.com. Keep up to date with my latest work here.