Frame Damage - advice

Morning everyone.

Absolutely gutted - took the bike out of the car this morning to discover quite a deep hack into the frame of my Tarmac SL6 - its been caused by the handlebars being rotated 90 degrees to fit the bike in and a small rivet from the direct mount brakes has came into contact with the frame. It must have got a thump of pressure downwards at some stage to create such an indent.

Bike is only finished over a month ago so my stomach actually turned when I seen what happened.

Just wanted to ask for some advice - it seems to have gone through a few layers of carbon, but is quite small overall in length and diameter. To stop paint/lacquer from flaking would it be best practice to put a little bit of nail varnish over the affected area to seal it up, or is there something more effective?

I assume the damage is not structural due to the small size, but its never going to look right again without a proper carbon repair, which is just out of the question at the minute :'(

Any advice very much appreciated

Comments

• Nail varnish then tape over to protect it. Stick a rubber cap or something over the contact area on the brake caliper. Or mould one over it using a blob of black silicon sealant.
  • Cheers @oxoman and @darkhairedlord.

I was contemplating contacting the guy that sprayed the bike to get a repair done, but theres no way will be cheap and funds just won't allow it at the minute.

I'll have a go with the nail varnish and see how it goes, its not going to look great, but its not going to affect the bike overall which is the main thing I guess.
    I could maybe look into getting it fixed properly when funds allow.

I'll have a look at the contact point of the caliper later and work some sort of rubber based protector as the bike will be in and out of the car at least once or twice a week from now as the nights draw in, on so I can get a quick ride in over lunchtime.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020
    That’s superficial damage by the looks of it. Buy some glittery nail polish from Superdrug or somewhere, that looks a bit like that colour. Do a touch up job and no one will know. In future, wrap the brake callipers in bubble wrap, and put a bit of packing foam over the tubes, if your transporting the bike anywhere.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    A proper repair might not cost as much as you think. I had some deep gouges around the BB area of my De Rosa SK caused by a chain jam. I got a pot of the matching paint from the manufacturer for 18 euro, and Andy at Magnafibre did a fantastic job on the repair for £60. It will be a little bit dearer if he is supplying the paint. Getting the paint to match will be the biggest problem, and you'll be without the frame for a few weeks. It's worth messaging him a photo of the damage and seeing what he says.

As a temporary measure, just put a little round black frame protection sticker over it.
  • bobones said:

A proper repair might not cost as much as you think. I had some deep gouges around the BB area of my De Rosa SK caused by a chain jam. I got a pot of the matching paint from the manufacturer for 18 euro, and Andy at Magnafibre did a fantastic job on the repair for £60. It will be a little bit dearer if he is supplying the paint. Getting the paint to match will be the biggest problem, and you'll be without the frame for a few weeks. It's worth messaging him a photo of the damage and seeing what he says.

As a temporary measure, just put a little round black frame protection sticker over it.

or a self adhesive tube patch...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Ouch! Gutted for you.
    You have a stunning bike there and I would be devastated as well, even if it is only superficial damage.

I would apply some clear nail varnish and then try to hide it with some type of sticker or patch. Maybe get a name sticker or something similar. I know it's a strange place to put a name sticker but I'm sure there is something which would look good and hide the mark.

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Take it in the shop and see if the carbon can be repaired.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    To be honest, I think the first place I would call would be the people who did the original paint job. They may be sympathetic or, indeed, positively helpful given that you have placed your custom there before - you know they have the right paint . . . rather than doing a full, expensive "spray job" they mau be able to do something satisfactory with a brush in two minutes - my guess is, this would probably be better than you having a go with a bottle of nail varnish! If you don't ask them you won't know.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533

To be honest, I think the first place I would call would be the people who did the original paint job. They may be sympathetic or, indeed, positively helpful given that you have placed your custom there before - you know they have the right paint . . . rather than doing a full, expensive "spray job" they mau be able to do something satisfactory with a brush in two minutes - my guess is, this would probably be better than you having a go with a bottle of nail varnish! If you don't ask them you won't know.

Thanks @laurentian (and thanks to all who have replied).
    Yes i've been in touch with the guy who sprayed it for me and he's gutted too, said to bring it in and see if he could do anything without involving a lot of money.
    I'm going to bring it over to him this week to see what he thinks - i''l update hopefully with good news once I know more.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I am intrigued as to the purpose of the nail varnish?

Obviously not corrosion prevention.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    navrig2 said:

To prevent further peeling of the lacquer?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    navrig2 said:

It makes you feel better because you have done something.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533

navrig2 said:

To prevent further peeling of the lacquer?
    That was certainly my thinking on it.