Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Lever Pull On Shimano R8000 Mechanical Shifters

Presuming this is possible, can someone please point me in the direction of how I can adjust the pull of the levers so they are closer to my hands when on the drops?

I seem to remember on other models there was an allen bolt located somewhere you could turn to get them closer?

Thanks :)

Posts

  • Can't recall an allen bolt, I do recall some rubber inserts in older models that would do a very marginal job of it, but I don't think you can change the position significantly
  • ibr17xviiibr17xvii Posts: 361

    Can't recall an allen bolt, I do recall some rubber inserts in older models that would do a very marginal job of it, but I don't think you can change the position significantly

    You could deffo bring the levers quite considerably closer on the previous gen 105, I did it with my CAAD12.

    It's not a dealbreaker but I do find myself reaching for the levers more than I'd like when down on the drops.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 2,604
    When you pull the rubber hood back at the top, is there not a screw head that you adjust for the reach.
  • ibr17xviiibr17xvii Posts: 361
    webboo said:

    When you pull the rubber hood back at the top, is there not a screw head that you adjust for the reach.

    That was what you did on the older 105 shifters, there was a small allen bolt you could use to adjust them.

    I've honestly not had a look at my R8000 shifters, I hate messing about with the rubber bits on the hoods, never seem to be able to get them back in place as they were.

    Just had a Google of it but can't find anything.
  • ibr17xviiibr17xvii Posts: 361
    Quite an old video so hoping it's the same on the newer stuff!

    Cheers for that :)
  • wongataawongataa Posts: 875
    ibr17xvii said:

    Presuming this is possible, can someone please point me in the direction of how I can adjust the pull of the levers so they are closer to my hands when on the drops?

    I seem to remember on other models there was an allen bolt located somewhere you could turn to get them closer?

    Thanks :)

    Download the manual from Shimano. It tells you there how to do what you want - reach adjustment.
  • ibr17xviiibr17xvii Posts: 361
    wongataa said:

    ibr17xvii said:

    Presuming this is possible, can someone please point me in the direction of how I can adjust the pull of the levers so they are closer to my hands when on the drops?

    I seem to remember on other models there was an allen bolt located somewhere you could turn to get them closer?

    Thanks :)

    Download the manual from Shimano. It tells you there how to do what you want - reach adjustment.

    I was struggling to find it TBH but I’ll have another look.

    Cheers.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 2,604
    On my Dura Ace 9100 you just pull back the rubber at the top and the screw is there like in the video. I’m positive it’s the same on my 105 11 speed. I haven’t got the bike with it on with me at the moment to look. Although it might be Allen screw on the 105 rather than slotted screw head.
  • ibr17xviiibr17xvii Posts: 361
    webboo said:

    On my Dura Ace 9100 you just pull back the rubber at the top and the screw is there like in the video. I’m positive it’s the same on my 105 11 speed. I haven’t got the bike with it on with me at the moment to look. Although it might be Allen screw on the 105 rather than slotted screw head.


    The bloke on the video said it was a 2mm allen bolt on 105 which makes sense as I'm 99% certain I used some kind of allen key to adjust my old 105.

    Looks promising it is just a flathead screwdriver needed for Ultegra.

  • wongataawongataa Posts: 875
    ibr17xvii said:

    wongataa said:

    ibr17xvii said:

    Presuming this is possible, can someone please point me in the direction of how I can adjust the pull of the levers so they are closer to my hands when on the drops?

    I seem to remember on other models there was an allen bolt located somewhere you could turn to get them closer?

    Thanks :)

    Download the manual from Shimano. It tells you there how to do what you want - reach adjustment.

    I was struggling to find it TBH but I’ll have another look.

    Cheers.
    All the manuals are in the technical documents section. Te documents labelled dealer manual are the instructions.
Sign In or Register to comment.