Pedals

Stefan_320
Stefan_320 Posts: 5
edited September 2020 in Road beginners

Hello all,

I recently purchased my first ever road bike and I need help with pedals!

My road bike has this type but I've researched them and it seems these tend to be more appropriate for off road riding? These are two bolt right? Should I be switching them out for a three bolt type? Need to buy shoes too so want to make the correct move here!

Thanks so much,
Stefan

Comments

• Is it new? Go back and I'm sure the shop will sort it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    They're perfectly fine to use with a road bike. They have the advantage of being double sided so usually easier to get used to for a beginner.
  • Is it a new bike?
    Did you choose the pedals?
    You have ended up with these if that is all they had in stock, bit of a bugger if you have road shoes mind...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Snap! SPDs here as well. I fitted a spare pair out of the box of bits onto new gravel bike last week just to get going. Realised I had bought them in 1997. Still working sweet as.
  • I had SPD’s fitted to my first road bike back in 2017 because I liked them and I didn’t know better. Now all my bikes have them and because I cycle to work it’s good to have the double sided facility.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    SPDs for me as well. I use Shimano A520 but I think they’ve stopped making them. I was lucky to get a new set last month. The good news is with all of this Gravel stuff, there is a lot better selection of 2 bolt /SPD shoes now
  • cq20 said:

The good news is with all of this Gravel stuff, there is a lot better selection of 2 bolt /SPD shoes now

I like the sound of that.