ROSE no longer selling to UK customers

2»

Comments

• I currently have two Rose bikes, including the new Reveal which is superb both in looks and in performance. I was eyeing up their Backroad also so this is disappointing news. They do have a representative and small showroom in the UK, I have the details somewhere so the lady running that will know exactly what is going on. If this is a permanent thing maybe that has all shut down though.

• For interest, the regulations for motorcycles in the UK are the same.
    I understand that it’s about turning right across traffic, whilst signalling. Jamming on a front brake can have unwanted results.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

shortfall said:

loltoride said:

Is there not another bike you can purchase from somewhere else?

Well of course, but having dome some research, I'd settled on Rose... I like the fact that are not mainstream... I'd never even heard of them until earlier this year.

They look the nuts and offer decent components for semi-reasonable prices...
    What a shame then that you're going to have make your own way to Germany to get one and then have the trouble of swapping the braking around because they don't want to do that or sell it to you in England. I mean seriously? There are plenty of suppliers of non mainstream bikes with good components that are happy to take your hard earned, some of them even in the UK so if it was me I'd be all too happy to take my business elsewhere, it's literally their loss.
    .. and that will probably be the case, but doesn't stop me being a little disappointed at not being able to purchase the bike I'd researched and kinda wanted...
    First world dissapointment
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Shame they’re pulling out of the UK, very pleased with the Rose I bought last year.
    I guess this is part of the price we have to pay for blue passports.
  • My 2 bob worth is that they are probably struggling to meet demand like most of the bike industry, especially the direct sellers. They've decided with all thats going on, or not going on or other bullshit that is going to transpire before and after December that the UK is the easiest limb to amputate.
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • For interest, the regulations for motorcycles in the UK are the same.
    I understand that it’s about turning right across traffic, whilst signalling. Jamming on a front brake can have unwanted results.

Now I'm confused! I thought is was to do with which lever applied which brake

Motorcycles (all over the world to my knowledge) have the front brake on the right-hand side of the handlebar, (same as on a bicycle in the UK) unless modified for disabled riders etc. the left lever being the clutch. I won’t get into the rear brake here as there are a few different configurations. My point being, the front brake lever is always on the right.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited September 2020
    I saw an old boy on a new Rose yesterday. It looked really nice, to be honest.

OP, I'd do a road trip over here to pick one up, if you want one. Spend a few days riding as a bonus, you'll really enjoy it!

The "back British farming" style comments are a bit obtuse, but not entirely surprising.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    One of my old steel road bikes (a Webster?) came with a European brake setup. I was surprised, that i don't really get get the brakes mixed up when i switch from using to that bike from others.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899 said:

I saw an old boy on a new Rose yesterday. It looked really nice, to be honest.

OP, I'd do a road trip over here to pick one up, if you want one. Spend a few days riding as a bonus, you'll really enjoy it!

The "back British farming" style comments are a bit obtuse, but not entirely surprising.

My Bob Jacksons post was a joke in case anyone took that seriously.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

It’s a British Standards requirement to have right hand front when the bike is sold.
    I know a shop that imports a well known premier brand direct, and has to change the brake arrangement before sale to conform with a British Standard.
    What the customer does, or has done, after the sale is up to the customer.

Bollox.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • OK, I see, so these are the requirements, now you guys tell me how many bikes you bought from a shop that met them all

1) Any hand-operated brakes arranged left-hand rear, right-hand front
    2) A bell
    3) White or yellow reflectors on both sides of each wheel or tyre
    4) A white wide-angle front reflector, or a front lamp
    5) A red wide-angle rear reflector
    6) Yellow reflectors front and rear on each pedal

My wife bought a bike from a Giant shop last month... it met only requirement no. 1

Same with a Bianchi for my wife, req.1 was fulfilled and the others were in a cardboard box.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • It’s a British Standards requirement to have right hand front when the bike is sold.
    I know a shop that imports a well known premier brand direct, and has to change the brake arrangement before sale to conform with a British Standard.
    What the customer does, or has done, after the sale is up to the customer.

Bollox.
    Why do you have to ALWAYS be so rude?
    The guy is correct, that happens to be the British Standards requirement for selling bikes in the UK. I didn't know either
    left the forum March 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    loltoride said:

OK, I see, so these are the requirements, now you guys tell me how many bikes you bought from a shop that met them all

2) A bell

My wife bought a bike from a Giant shop last month... it met only requirement no. 1

Other than option 1 I am sure you can get other bits cheap on ebay or amazon. Just a thought.
    New bikes I've bought in the past have all come with a bell and reflectors supplied. They were in a bag and not on the bike fortunately.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 said:

loltoride said:

OK, I see, so these are the requirements, now you guys tell me how many bikes you bought from a shop that met them all

2) A bell

Other than option 1 I am sure you can get other bits cheap on ebay or amazon. Just a thought.
    New bikes I've bought in the past have all come with a bell and reflectors supplied. They were in a bag and not on the bike fortunately.
    This is why shops sell bikes without the pedals. That way they are incomplete bikes, not ready to ride.