Pain in the you-know-what - new seat time?

So a few days ago I was in a hurry to get to Bompetta's school for pick-up time, I gasped my way over the top of the biggest hill around (Tullybaccart for anyone who knows this area), and just as I was gathering proper speed on the descent there was a loud bang and a feeling a bit like being kicked in the censored.

Stopped and quickly established that one of the seatclamp bolts had snapped, and the other was seriously bent.

Took the saddle off easily enough and rode the last 10k or so, now in even more of a hurry, standing up. Good training I'm sure.

Anyway, I replaced the bolts - with cheap stainless steel ones at literally a hundredth of the price of the titanium ones on Amazon - so that's all OK, but it made me wonder: time for a new seat?

My saddle has put up with my enthusiastic and heavy-duty erris for a few years now and is looking a bit the worse for wear; also, the seatclamp has quite dramatic-looking grooves scored in it from the saddle rails...

... first, new saddle: any suggestions The old one is a San Marco Ponza and I find it pretty comfortable so would like to replace like for like - but it appears to be unavailable these days.

... second, seatclamp/post: vague thoughts of getting a carbon seatpost, but is there any benefit?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294

... second, seatclamp/post: vague thoughts of getting a carbon seatpost, but is there any benefit?

Real or perceived benefits? Can't say I've noticed in my limited experience. What about a titanium seatpost? Just WWILF'd massively looking at seatposts on the Bay of shite.
    Seat wise if you liked that go with the very scientific method of getting one that looks the same shape.
    More importantly how did you crest the hill?
  • The answer to the is it worth it question depends whether you like the look of a seat post of material X, because you aren't going to feel any difference.

I got a Ti seat post.

£300.

I have convinced myself I REALLY like the look my my seat post.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    I'll put myself in the firing line.
    I had to replace a seat post and went from alloy to proper carbon, not wrapped.
    I swear it cuts down on road buzz and I don't care if it's only perceived.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    Your aris' may be more sensitive than mine precious ;-)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722

Your aris' may be more sensitive than mine precious ;-)

Possibly due more to the mass involved. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    :D although to be fair my bike has 32mm slicks so my seat post could be made of anything and make no difference