Numb hands - new bike?

I have had many road bikes over the years and have never had significant hand numbness issues until I goy my Supersix last year. I have done all the normal tricks but after 10 miles my hands are numb. I am thinking about getting a new less aggressive frame with a higher stack but don't want to do down that road if I don't have to. Will a higher stack with less reach help or will it cause issues elsewhere?

Comments

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I also get numb hands when riding. What alleviates it for me is to roll/shrug my shoulders a few times. Not sure how/why but it works pretty much immediately (for meanyway). Worth a shot (assuming , as oxoman says, your fit/position is sorted.)
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I used to get numb hands riding my Canyon Ultimate AL. I'm pretty sure it was vibration through the fork. This was a 3 or 4 years ago, I'm only in my early 30s now, never experienced numb hands before or since.

Carbon bars did actually help a bit, but it was still a very stiff front end. The bike handled great but left me feeling beat up after riding it on badly surfaced roads. I ended up selling the frameset and transferring everything (bar the stem) to another frame. Even though I matched the fit as best as I could, the numbness didn't return, which is why I'm convinced it was vibration.

If the Supersix can accept a standard 1 1/8 stem, you might also try a Redshift shock stop stem. I've got one on my gravel bike and it's pretty effective. Not the sleekest looking stem, but for a gravel bike I'm more than happy with it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What usual tricks have you played ?

The roads are getting pretty rough everywhere and none of us are getting any younger so it might not be the bike entirely to blame.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    Yeah, I'd like to know the tricks too :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Both of my disc braked bikes have chattery front forks.

Both of my rim brake bikes have more compliant front forks.

I double wrap the bars on the disc bikes and wear gel gloves.

On the Cervelo I can't comfortably go above 80psi on the front (25c's) or I get numb hands. I have never suffered this before and I don't on any other bike.

My theory, based on this extensive data set, is that disc forks ride harder because they need to be stiffer to cope with the position of the caliper.

It's not something they mention in the brochures.

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    So I’ve tried shorter stem, Bar Phat bar tape and gel inserts, 28c tyres at 80Psi, and a Redshift Stem!

I only got the stem last week and this has by far made the biggest difference but still causes issues after short distances. I must say the Redshift stem is excellent though.

Having had a Tarmac before with similar geo to the Supersix I am convinced it’s the stiffness of the SS frame or fork that’s the issue. I’m 5ft 10 and have ridden 54cm frames for years. Anything larger causes reach issues so I tend to go 54cm.

Seen a good deal on a Ti Endurance frame so thinking of buying that and swapping all the DA parts over. Just really do t want to spend the money if I don’t have to!
  • Harry182
    Why don't you try what I've suggested? It's free.
  • bmxboy10
    Harry182 said:

Why don't you try what I've suggested? It's free.

Will do!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    Harry182 said:

I also get numb hands when riding. What alleviates it for me is to roll/shrug my shoulders a few times. Not sure how/why but it works pretty much immediately (for meanyway). Worth a shot (assuming , as oxoman says, your fit/position is sorted.)

Worth noting that that move is impossible with locked arms.
    I am convinced that locked arms are the biggest contributor to this problem.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Harry182 said:

No no. It's disc brakes. Root of all evil.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I occasionally get pins and needles or a numb right hand. It doesn’t always happen and it can come early in a ride or after a longer distance and I don’t have my arms locked. I suspect it’s related to neck problems and something that I do off the bike.
    If you are still getting numb hands after trying all the above advice it might be worth seeing a physio.
  • The ulnar nerve can get pinched anywhere. Mine was, as I recall, somewhere around the shoulder or upper back. A right pita. So the advice to mobilise your shoulders/back, stretch your neck or ultimately see a physio is perfectly sound, all joking aside.

I do though think that modern bikes and the push for levels of stiffness that none of us need, exacerbates things. I just can't ride as fast or as long on a stiff bike, or descend as confidently.
  • I’d say getting a proper bike fit is money well spent. The numb hands problem is likely just a positional issue. ‘Retul fits’ are very good.
  • I’d say getting a proper bike fit is money well spent. The numb hands problem is likely just a positional issue. ‘Retul fits’ are very good.

Retul fits are only as good as the fitter. Just like any other type of fit. It is just motion capture. What you do with the information is important. I had one and the guy had clearly just been on a course talking about how having cleats in the arch of your foot was more efficient. So he confirmed that all my bikes were the right size and moved my cleats back about 10 cm. Literally. Utter and complete waste of money.

Nor is a bike fit a magic bullet to comfort. The danger is that if you have a physical issue that should be fixed another way, your bike fit accommodates and perpetuates that issue. For example, do you get a bike with a massively tall head tube and short top tube to alleviate back pain? Or do some core work, stretching, physio or yoga to fix the problem that's causing it?
  • webboo
    You mean like the bike in Bianchis profile
  • webboo said:

You mean like the bike in Bianchis profile

Boring
  • If you didn’t have any issues with your previous bike, go back to it if you can and replicate that position on the new bike. It’s always a good idea to keep a copy of all of your measurements.
    Any changes in position must be very gradual. There’s a fashion with pro riders to have very aggressive, low bars, positions, but they are young, and have moved gradually to this. They also increasingly do core strength work.
    Longer term some regular core strength work might allow you to gradually lower your bars, if that’s your objective. As a very general rule of thumb, 70% of your weight should be taken on the saddle, 30% on your bars
  • bmxboy10
    So I just popped out for a quick 1.5 hr ride. The shoulder rolling idea definitely worked but I found I was having to do this every 5 minutes to stop things getting numb. I’ve done what I never wanted to do and have flipped the stem. This feels better but I’m still struggling to ride without arms being locked.
  • Harry182
    Good to hear it somewhat worked (and reassured that I'm not some kind of physical outlier/freak of nature.) Sorry to hear it didn't alleviate for longer.
    bmxboy10 said:

... I’m still struggling to ride without arms being locked.

??

Time for a bike fit? Let us know how you get on.
  • bmxboy10
    One other thing is that I’ve put on weight over the last year for one reason and another. Wonder if this has also contributed to the cause of the issue.
  • bmxboy10
    Flipping the stem has also helped!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited September 2020

pblakeney said:

Harry182 said:

My bike has built in 622mm disc brakes and I don't get numb hands...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 said:

pblakeney said:

Harry182 said:

Took me a while to get that!!

There's a funny article on cycling tips by Rob English with a similar theme. Worth a read if you can find it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben6899 said:

pblakeney said:

Harry182 said:

Took me a while to get that!!

There's a funny article on cycling tips by Rob English with a similar theme. Worth a read if you can find it.
    I'll dig it out!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 said:

pblakeney said:

Harry182 said:

OT
    Yes, that is an interesting read
  • He's a smart guy isn't he? Makes me want to buy one of his bikes. Kind of how I ended up with a Kent Eriksen. You just know it's going to be good.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    edited September 2020
    (this might be so obvious that I've never been told it)

I noted Mr Boardman on the ITV commentary talking about how turning the hoods a few degrees in is more aero whilst admiring Marc Hirschi's riding position. Having spent last evening mucking about with my bars to try and help my hand issues (mostly Carpal Tunnel for me, I need the operation but...covid), i tried this and it's made such a difference to comfort I can't believe it!

My highly questionable interpretation as to why is that it reduced the angle of your wrists and keeps them straight a bit.

Try it, literally 15 seconds with a 5mm allen key has done more for me than fancy bars or tape or stem swapping has done!

(if you have alu bars, you don't even need to undo the bolt!*)

(*dont do this)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I transport my bike in the boot of a coupe. Have bent brake levers in accidentally for years by using boot. Indeed more comfortable.

#serendipity.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    ddraver said:

(this might be so obvious that I've never been told it)

I noted Mr Boardman on the ITV commentary talking about how turning the hoods a few degrees in is more aero whilst admiring Marc Hirschi's riding position. Having spent last evening mucking about with my bars to try and help my hand issues (mostly Carpal Tunnel for me, I need the operation but...covid), i tried this and it's made such a difference to comfort I can't believe it!

My highly questionable interpretation as to why is that it reduced the angle of your wrists and keeps them straight a bit.

Try it, literally 15 seconds with a 5mm allen key has done more for me than fancy bars or tape or stem swapping has done!

(if you have alu bars, you don't even need to undo the bolt!*)

(*dont do this)

Also note the horizontal forearms.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    He also has incredibly muscular forearms.