Trek Domane SL 5

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/domane/domane-sl/domane-sl-5/p/28311/

1st time poster.

It was a choice between the Domane, Giant Defy Advanced 2 and the Cannondale Synapse all carbon and all 105 groupset. I don't like the look of the Synapse and I can't get A Giant until at least November, so...
I managed to get one of these bad boys in orange/grey and if I like it, I can take it home on Saturday.
I love to look of it, and read loads of reviews. It's well within budget. What are your opinions on this bike?

Many thanks for any advice I get.
Trek Domane SL5
Giant Defy - upgraded
Leisure cyclist
#CycleLondon

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’ve got the 2018 rim brake model and I love it. Recommended.

• I am replacing my old aluminium Giant Defy, I have spent a pretty penny upgrading. I love the old girl, but she needs replacing now.
    Trek Domane SL5
    Giant Defy - upgraded
    Leisure cyclist
    #CycleLondon
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Well the domane is comfortable and fast enough for me so I think you’d be more than happy with it.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Personally, I'd dismiss the Giant as not full 105 (crank) and cable disc brake not hydraulic ...
    My 1st experience of road bike was Trek 2.1 advertised as full 105, turned out it wasn't ok I didn't notice although I didn't have experience of riding a full 105, it was more the disappointment that was advertised as one thing but not, it's not just Trek but the other 2 bikes are full 105 hydraulic disc brakes.
    I've experienced rim brakes (up to 105 level) cable disc brake (on a tandem) and hydraulic disc (current Ultegra road/gravel bike on 35mm tyres) hydraulic disc are by far the best brakes for year round road riding...

Appears one of the biggest differences between the Trek & Cadd (bar availability) is tyre size 32c (Trek) v 28s (Cadd I believe?)
    Trek is tubeless ready and is coming up to winter so personally I'd go for the bigger tyres and run them tubeless. From my understanding of tubeless from road perspective is bit boarder line running 28s at higher pressure/less air volume, with some suggesting 32mm min for tubeless. I'm on 35mm tubeless and not had any issues in over 2 yrs of year round commuting approx 10 miles each way Inc tow paths and off road/cycle path sections... I've also gone from 23mm to 25mm to 35mm tyres and TBF I don't really notice speed difference but I'm not racing. The main difference is comfort.
    Long as you're aware of
    the little differences and know your priorities the two are are as good as each other
  • giftedanimal7ZMlzbPP
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for the replys, I have upgraded to R7000 105 rim breaks on my old Giant Defy and run 25mm Continental GP 4 Seasons. I'm not racing, I only cycle for pleasure (40-50 mile runs at a time) so comfort is a priority, hence the endurance bike with bigger tyre clearance, the Trek has 38mm clearance and I will probably run 32s. My main worry was the Isospeed starting to creak after a year or 2 on the Domane.
    Trek Domane SL5
    Giant Defy - upgraded
    Leisure cyclist
    #CycleLondon
  • andyh01
    Sounds like the you're sold on the Trek bar your concern of the ISO speed, which I'm not aware of, hopefully others may be able to give some antidote experience of?

I believe the Trek comes as standard with 32, not sure what the max is, which may be less if fitting full guards on though don't forget.
  • @andyh01
    Many thanks for you help. You are correct, it comes with 32 and takes maximum 38, not sure what max is with mudguards.
    Am pretty much sold on the Teek, now knowing the Giant isn't full hydrolic breaks and the crank isn't 105 either. Your input has helped make my decision easier. Its a beautiful looking bike too.
    Trek Domane SL5
    Giant Defy - upgraded
    Leisure cyclist
    #CycleLondon
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222

@andyh01
    Many thanks for you help. You are correct, it comes with 32 and takes maximum 38, not sure what max is with mudguards.
    Am pretty much sold on the Teek, now knowing the Giant isn't full hydrolic breaks and the crank isn't 105 either. Your input has helped make my decision easier. Its a beautiful looking bike too.

If you are referring to the 2020 model Defy Advanced 2, it does have 105 hydraulic brakes, also you could pick up a discounted 105 crankset and sell the R510 to offset the cost. Same applies to the 2021 model.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-advanced-2

• andyh01
    dj58 said:

@andyh01

If you are referring to the 2020 model Defy Advanced 2, it does have 105 hydraulic brakes, also you could pick up a discounted 105 crankset and sell the R510 to offset the cost. Same applies to the 2021 model.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-advanced-2

Oo, on my very quick look, this very website review of Dafy Adv 2 said was trp cable disc?
    If sold as 105, shouldn't have be "upgrading" bits/selling bits to make it 105. As I say granted you may not "feel" any difference it's just the principle and as I also said it's not just Giant, Trek did/does the same on other models. I was just pointing out the differences between the other 2 which are more on par with each other than the Dafy, albeit I'm not aware of price differences either.
  • andyh01
    Beg your pardon. Just looked again, I stand corrected both Giant and Bikerader have it spec as full hydraulic 105 disc brakes, must've been the older model.or something I looked at on Bikerader.

Still though non series crank and kmc chain
  • dj58
    I don't disagree with you about bikes not being suppiied with all the components of a groupset, however this is usually done to get the bike to a price point. My bike came with a mixture of Ultegra STI,s and RD, 105 FD, non series crankset and brakes, all 10sp. I waited for the offers to come with the introduction of 11sp and swopped the cranks, wanted a shorter length anyway and the brakes, didn't do the FD though, not that OCD. Do have a spare Ultegra FD for when the 105 dies. Having a KMC chain rather than a Shimano chain did not bother me, as they come with a quick link, wereas Shimano have only recently introduced a quick link for 11sp.
  • I have a 52/36 R7000 105 crankset I could put on the new bike. I will run with the 50/34 and see if I like it first.
    Trek Domane SL5
    Giant Defy - upgraded
    Leisure cyclist
    #CycleLondon
  • giftedanimal7ZMlzbPP
    edited September 2020

I went with the Domane SL5. on first impressions, not quite as fast as my Defy, but it's the most comfortable ride I have ever had. I'll have to change the gear ratios if I want more speed. I think I'll use it for cruising, for now. 👍 👍
    Excellent buy! I got it for £2300, so got a really good deal too. Love the colour!
    Trek Domane SL5
    Giant Defy - upgraded
    Leisure cyclist
    #CycleLondon
  • dj58
    Nice, I like the colour scheme too. As a matter of interest what is the difference in weight difference between your alu. Defy and the carbon Trek?
  • Not sure on the frame, but full build, the Trek is only slightly lighter, as the stock wheels are on the heavy side and the disk breaks always add weight, also the through axel. One more thing, the cassette is an 11-34, again adds weight compared to the Defy. After that wall of text, if say the frame was considerably lighter. 😂😂
    Trek Domane SL5
    Giant Defy - upgraded
    Leisure cyclist
    #CycleLondon
  • dj58
    OK, thanks.