Back to cycling tips wanted

hi all,

I'm just about to get back into road cycling after around 8 years with the help of the government cycling scheme. I'll be using the bike for fitness purposes and also multi day touring.

Just a quick couple of questions or curiosities if i may;
1) What does everyone carry in their tool bags on the road? i want to hear it all, all the unique items you've added to your kit over the years as well as the basics.
2) What snacks do you all eat while riding that isn't gels? I do have gels but curious if anyone makes their own DIY snacks instead of purchasing the expensive bars and gels.
3) I plan to purchase the altura grid roll up pannier bag pair from CRC. Has anyone used these bags before? Do you have any suggestions for better ones for the same or close to that price (£70)?
4) Any tips that could be useful for me as I've never done multi day trips on a cycle

Forgive the long post but if you have the time I'd love to hear your responses.
Cheers.

Comments

• jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    1) Multitool with chain breaker, spare tube(s), pump/CO2 canisters, chain quicklink (this always lives on my keyring), electrical tape, cable ties, spare contact lens
    2) Ham & crisp butties, mini pork pies, Haribo
    3) I've used Altura panniers for years with no problems, have also used Carradice and cheapo Aldi ones with no issues
    4) Don't aim for hundred mile days - 50 miles is plenty in touring mode; take some time and enjoy it. And buy decent shorts.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,778
    4) Break the day into quarters of 1-1/2 to 2 hours each. Cafe stop/lunch/cafe stop.
    You will easily do 80 miles a day that way.
    If you pass a viewpoint, stop. What's the point otherwise?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Spare piece off an old tyre in case you get a large hole in your tyre and need a temporary plug for it to get you home. Have helped others and me a few times.I carry a bit of spare cash too in case of emergency- yes know not quite as useful in the last few months!
    If doing a v long day a lightweight gilet pacajack has been v useful. Sometimes go over to the Isle of Wight and can be surprising how much you can start to chill off.
  • 2, Banana bread https://bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/healthy-banana-bread. I keep it in the freezer and take out however many bits I need.
  • 1) In pocket I generally carry mini pump, puncture repair kit and a 5mm hex key to undo the thru axles. On longer 100Km rides I might take a spare tube and multi-tool, but I don't think I've bothered on the once-monthly this summer since May, as I've only had one puncture all year.

2) Lidl or Sainsbury's jelly babies, one every 5-10mins after an hour, having eaten a banana just before heading out if I plan to be out 2+ hours. Tried gels for first time very recently, found they were good for quick energy boost, but made me thirsty, plus you need 3 gels an hour to get 60g of carbs which is a fair bit more expensive that JBs!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    As far as energy/snacks go, I personally prefer something that is actually pleasant to eat e.g flapjack, malt loaf etc. The only downside is if you can't stop for some reason and are breathing heavily and you end up almost choking on it, gels are better in these instances.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Multi tool (with chain breaker) quick link, patch kit, at least one tube (punctures sometimes come in pairs). Small emergency rear blinkie.

For tyre cuts I've always been lucky enough to find a crisp packet or it has been small enough for a patch.

Nutrition hasn't ever moved on significantly from sugary things, bananas and things with even more complex carbs for slower release, like flapjacks. It has just got more expensive.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The new ten and five pound notes can be used as an emergency tyre boot, that is if you have not had some other emergency and had to spend it.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Old tenners and fivers were also perfectly adequate.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    >1) What does everyone carry in their tool bags on the road? i want to hear it all, all the unique items you've added to your kit over the years as well as the basics.

I have the following in a bottle cage container thing:

1 tube (even though I run tubeless), 1 Co2 pump with 2 canisters, one lezyne patch and tyre lever thing, containing patches and a tenner (useful for emergencies, including tyre patching), and a multitool

> 2) What snacks do you all eat while riding that isn't gels? I do have gels but curious if anyone makes their own DIY snacks instead of purchasing the expensive bars and gels.

I don't eat gels. Depending on distance, jam and peanut butter sandwiches cut into bite size squares, bananas, home made flapjacks. I also - when feeling flash - stick a veloforte bar in by back pocket

> 4) Any tips that could be useful for me as I've never done multi day trips on a cycle

Pack light, ride slow, and buy your food as you go round.
    Insert bike here:
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    i have a bag on each bike with the relevant size........

spare tubes
    multitool
    tyre levers
    pump
    Co2 & canisters
  • It depends on the length of the ride / tour. The minimum kit would be a couple of spare tubes, levers and CO2, the maximum is pretty much a LBS in a bag. As for stuff to eat, I prefer proper food, bought as and when required ( something like a Tesco’s metro / express, or stopping at a Wetherspoons or similar) with Jelly babies as an emergency measure. I also tend to load me up, rather than the bike. Putting the kit and caboodle in a backpack means I find I can shift weight around, and not screw the handling of the bike up as much as using bike bags / panniers. The down side is that the padding in my bibs / trousers needs to be a bit more substantial, and lots more chamois cream is required.
  • webboo
    And the 70kg rucksack complete with business suit and overnight kit makes a comeback.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I use a very small seat-pack (tucks right in between the rails) with a tube, tyre boot and CO2 cartridge. I also have a small nylon zipped pouch (originally a first aid kit) that is just the right size to fit in a jersey pocket. This has tyre levers, Birzman apogee micro pump, quick link, multi-tool, tie-wraps, glueless patches, elastoplast, sachet of sun block. Other pockets contain phone, cash, food and waterproof. Some of these are weather dependent but it's all very minimalist and has served me well. It has been streamlined over the years to the point where I don't really want to lose anything else from it.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Gels are for racing really. They are just pure carbs in a very easy to squeeze into your mouth format, and swallow whilst your heart is beating at 180bpm+. You don’t need them if not racing, just eat proper food. Unless you are riding hard you won’t need 60g of carbs per hour either, that’s the max that your body can absorb.

I like Nak’d bars - all quality ingredients, not the cheapest thing on the market, but in individual wrappers that squeeze neatly into pockets. And they come in great flavours.

On a hard/ fast/ long ride I will carry two drink bottles, one filled with Bulk Powders Complete Hydration powder mixed with water, the other just water. They always have offers on, and if you wait for the right one (70% off!), but at least 40% off this works out just about the cheapest energy drink on the market at 20p per 500ml bottle. All their products are real quality and WADA approved (Not that banned substances are a problem with other sports drinks, just that it shows they meet the standards that professional sportspeople demand and therefore you don’t have to worry). At that price it works out cheaper than a home made fresh orange juice/ water mix!

I will also carry a scoop of this powder in a mini ziplock bag to top up one bottle of if I’m doing say 100miles +. This also fits easily into a jersey pocket. Raises a few eyebrows when you pull a bag of white powder out in a cafe.....!

Real food is much better and a cafe stop on longer rides is always better than simply chomping on sugary snacks all day. Simple stuff like beans on toast is a favourite with cyclists - it’s cheap and provides plenty of carbs. Add in your choice of coffee or a cuppa and you will be good to go again. Beware of the cake, it’s great but can be lethal for the waistline!

If you run short of energy (“bonk”), that’s where a gel can work wonders, but just stop at a convenience store/ petrol station and grab a can of coke and a mars bar. They will do the same. You will be back up and running on all cylinders in ten minutes.

PP
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Another one for naked bars. Asda often have them discounted.
  • Bananas are always popular, the new version of Kendal Mint Cake with added electrolytes is brilliant and I also use the Paleo bars from Aldi (basically a nak'd bar but 5 for £1.99 and in my opinion, nicer). I also carry one or two electrolyte salt tablets and an emergency gel just in case, because I know what I'm like.

Breakfast meat and egg stottie and a coffee at the obligatory cafe stop.
  • webboo said:

And the 70kg rucksack complete with business suit and overnight kit makes a comeback.

The heaviest one I ever carried was a 10Kg with a 30 Kg over the top ( smaller one on my back, bigger one over the top, also on my back) but that was carrying everything I needed for a weekend, including clothes, kit, bike stuff, toiletries, shoes etc. I even managed to fit a track pump in the bigger pack. I lugged that little lot on a 75 mile trip up to the hotel ( Waterloo Central Travelodge) on my good old BTwin Ultra 750. I wouldn’t recommend it, it was hard work. I C.B.A. to lug it all the way back, so I stuck the bike on the train on the return, so I only had to do 5 miles from the nearest station to home. That was a fun little experience, but I don’t plan on repeating it any time soon.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020
    I frequent a well known cycle centric cafe / bar type place in London, whenever I’m in the locale, after a ride. One of their house burgers, with fries, washed down with a pint of Staropramen sorts out the post ride ‘Haribo limbs’ quite nicely. Loads of proteins Aminos and carbs. If I’m in the middle of a ride, they also do nice cakes / bakes and coffees as well. An added bonus is that they sell things you might well have run out of ( tubes / patches / bits and bobs ). There’s a few places like that which I’ll try and include on any routes I’m riding, as it reduces the likelihood of becoming stranded, miles from the end of the route, with a crocked bike / kit, or suffering a bad ‘bonk’.
  • hi all,

I'm just about to get back into road cycling after around 8 years with the help of the government cycling scheme. I'll be using the bike for fitness purposes and also multi day touring.

Just a quick couple of questions or curiosities if i may;
    1) What does everyone carry in their tool bags on the road? i want to hear it all, all the unique items you've added to your kit over the years as well as the basics.
    2) What snacks do you all eat while riding that isn't gels? I do have gels but curious if anyone makes their own DIY snacks instead of purchasing the expensive bars and gels.
    3) I plan to purchase the altura grid roll up pannier bag pair from CRC. Has anyone used these bags before? Do you have any suggestions for better ones for the same or close to that price (£70)?
    4) Any tips that could be useful for me as I've never done multi day trips on a cycle

Forgive the long post but if you have the time I'd love to hear your responses.
    Cheers.

1. multitool; one tube/patch kit; co2 cartridges/inflator; frame pump on top tube bag; one tire iron; 20 euro bill; yes I know tube/pump and CO2 are belt and suspenders but I've had patch kits fail; also the CO2 cartridge saves a lot of effort. I'd add spoke wrench/separate chain tool/extra master link if I was going on a multiday tour.
    2. I make my own energy bars; but always have a clif shot or two b/c I actually like them. And tend to have one bottle with Powerade if it's hot. If going on a hot, very long ride with uncertain water refills I'll take my CamelBak too...
    3. no
    4. no -- I don't do multiday trips but often do 8+ hour rides. Only tip I'll give as to what's changed in the last 8 years is navigation. I use Garmin Connect and Komoot to find routes and upload to my Garmin. 15 minutes of planning the night before is worth the effort.

I have both a seat bag and aero top tube bag. The top tube bag is perfect for a minipump, gels and cellphone. Seat bag is for tube/multitool/CO2.
  • thanks so much for all your replies! i have been absolutely smashing out research the last couple dyas. really excited to get going now, the missus is sick of me talking about it
  • I frequent a well known cycle centric cafe / bar type place in London, whenever I’m in the locale, after a ride. One of their house burgers, with fries, washed down with a pint of Staropramen sorts out the post ride ‘Haribo limbs’ quite nicely. Loads of proteins Aminos and carbs. If I’m in the middle of a ride, they also do nice cakes / bakes and coffees as well. An added bonus is that they sell things you might well have run out of ( tubes / patches / bits and bobs ). There’s a few places like that which I’ll try and include on any routes I’m riding, as it reduces the likelihood of becoming stranded, miles from the end of the route, with a crocked bike / kit, or suffering a bad ‘bonk’.

For someone who carries litres of water on their back because there are absolutely no spots whatsoever anywhere you ride (in the south downs?), it's good to see you are learning a little.

Also no sane person is in the middle of London 'in the middle of a ride'.
  • webboo
    It wasn’t muncher who carried loads of water. It might have been bungle?