Have we just seen best back to back 3 days racing for a decade

2»

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Pross said:

This was the worst tour ever according to most till s7 . Others are complaining it's not proper because the GC guys are just sprinting for bonus secs . It's not the 2018 giro yet but it's decent racing ... different too. Surprising at times

Given the starting point was the slightly hyperbolic "is this the best three day's racing we've seen this decade?" i

It actually says consecutive days which I think makes a big difference. It feels quite rare to have 3 good days back to back as it tends to be that after a big day the riders have one where they take it easy.

Absolutely, this is my point. Back to back / consecutive days.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95. said:

Only one person on the forum can make this call...........

It's not Iain is it? He rated today as an 8/10 which I think is a record.
    Friday was great. Sunday was great. Saturday somewhat average.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I've a horrendously bad memory, and I can't back this up in any way, but it's my feeling that stages with multiple lower category climbs have produced better racing than big long HC climbs. I think riders are more likely to risk an attack, knowing that if they're brought back their race isn't over.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • So with a bit of distance, and knowing how the Tour finished, how do we feel about this now?

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited September 2020
    I think there's three days in the Giro 2018 that might argue differently.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Struggling to remember what actually happened in those 3 days, possibly a combination of age and them not actually being that memorable.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited September 2020
    They got more posts collectively than any other three consecutive threads - I'm not sure if that's a measure of excitement or boredom though. The threat of wind always increases the post count, especially if it does split.

Looking back 12/13/14 felt like a decent run of stages too - Bora constantly trying to shift Bennett, usually by also neutering Sagan and then losing control of everything, Hirschi belatedly getting his stage, Bernal starting to crack after Ineos put everyone on the front and blew him up, Martinez beating two Bora riders in the final climb, Søren Kragh Andersen going from 27km whilst everyone looked at each other and tried to persuade somebody else to do the chasing.

Checking the threads though there was a lot of dead time in those stages - it's the results that made them, I think.
  • They got more posts collectively than any other three consecutive threads - I'm not sure if that's a measure of excitement or boredom though. The threat of wind always increases the post count, especially if it does split.

Looking back 12/13/14 felt like a decent run of stages too - Bora constantly trying to shift Bennett, usually by also neutering Sagan and then losing control of everything, Hirschi belatedly getting his stage, Bernal starting to crack after Ineos put everyone on the front and blew him up, Martinez beating two Bora riders in the final climb, Søren Kragh Andersen going from 27km whilst everyone looked at each other and tried to persuade somebody else to do the chasing.

Checking the threads though there was a lot of dead time in those stages - it's the results that made them, I think.

Thread counts are always higher when Cavendish doesn't win.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format