Best fast road platform for £1000 - £1500

Hi all

Just looking at purchasing a new road bike on the cycle to work scheme and was looking for recommendations...

I’m wanting something light and quick yet capable of all day jaunts.. 105 group set and discs preferred..First choices we’re Canyon and Rose but they don’t accept the vouchers...Same for Planet X..

Ribbles Carbon R872 looks a good choice but I simply can’t get to see one in the flesh and being a bit of brand snob I also wonder what the reputation of Ribble is ...?

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
Will

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ribble are good bikes. I'm sure the internet has reviews on the bike ,?
  • Thanks.. yes I’ve been reading stuff, but also wonder about the low end carbon..? Never had a carbon bike and have read stuff on here about potential cracks etc.. I’m also led to believe that Ribble’s customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Anyone know much about Orro bikes..?
  • Cube have got 2 or 3 within that price bracket and they come with discs but I’m not sure about the groupset.

I’ve actually been looking myself.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    willdbell said:

Thanks.. yes I’ve been reading stuff, but also wonder about the low end carbon..? Never had a carbon bike and have read stuff on here about potential cracks etc.. I’m also led to believe that Ribble’s customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Plenty of high end bikes with supposedly top quality carbon frames have terrible quality control issues to do with how the frames are assembled in the mould and the resulting voids that aren't visible externally, plus other issues. Ribble make decent enough bikes and if you're worried about resale values you're just going to have to suck it up because all second hand bikes take a massive hit, even in the current crazy world we're living in with big demand and scarce supply.
  • shortfall said:

willdbell said:

Thanks.. yes I’ve been reading stuff, but also wonder about the low end carbon..? Never had a carbon bike and have read stuff on here about potential cracks etc.. I’m also led to believe that Ribble’s customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Plenty of high end bikes with supposedly top quality carbon frames have terrible quality control issues to do with how the frames are assembled in the mould and the resulting voids that aren't visible externally, plus other issues. Ribble make decent enough bikes and if you're worried about resale values you're just going to have to suck it up because all second hand bikes take a massive hit, even in the current crazy world we're living in with big demand and scarce supply.
    Yes, that was my thought in respect of the carbon fibre.. I’m after a decent platform that I’d keep for a number of years thus longevity is a factor also..

Also looking at the 2021 Orbea avant disc but the lead time is April next year!

The problem I have with online reviews is that there never are any bad ones .. Every bike is apparently great ..

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I thought a platform was where you got on a train.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,139
    Ribble R872 is a very good bike. I wouldn't worry about it being 'low grade carbon'.

It's a far East frame made in the same factory as many significantly more expensive bikes (including Ribbles very highly rated Endurance SLRs), and the main reason for the difference in price is the frame mould isn't as complex.

The main problem with the bike is the Aksium disc wheels are heavy lumps so it won't be very light in stock trim, but that is easily fixed and they will make good training / winter wheels.
  • shortfall
    edited September 2020
    willdbell said:

shortfall said:

willdbell said:

Yes, that was my thought in respect of the carbon fibre.. I’m after a decent platform that I’d keep for a number of years thus longevity is a factor also..

Also looking at the 2021 Orbea avant disc but the lead time is April next year!

The problem I have with online reviews is that there never are any bad ones .. Every bike is apparently great ..

There's a lot of marketing bullsh.It involved with bikes and spending big money is no guarantee of quality or will necessarily get you a bike that meets your requirements. At your price point, first I'd be making sure you're getting a good fit and position. Then (if it was me) I'd avoid press fit bottom brackets and Id be wanting a good group set such as Shimano 105 or above. The wheels and tyres on stock bikes tend to be sh.It but depending on your interest/fitness levels/use you can upgrade them later. There's nothing wrong with buying online if you know what you want and expect some delays but it's also a recipe for buying an ill fitting mismatch of Tektro brakes, cheapo chainset and crummy wheelset if you don't know what you're doing. If in doubt go to a reputable local bike shop and pay a bit more for some good advice and help with sizing and fitting etc.
  • With all that's happened since Feb, it's crazy to think the green 2019 version of the Giant Propel Advanced 2 disc could be had for ~£1475 from Paulscycles and Rutland!

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/giant-propel-advanced-2-disc-2019-carbon-road-bike-metallic-green_462052
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've had carbon bikes for 15 years or so. Never had a problem with my Giant and Planet X's.
    My mates had two S works have to go back with damage - I suspect at the top end the race for light weight impacts on their resistance to damage. A cheaper CF bike has more material in it.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Caad12 Ultegra. An absolute beast of a bike and will leave any £1-1.5k carbon frame in its wake. Or at least mine does. Outstanding bike.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Allez sprint.
  • shortfall
    edited September 2020
    dg74 said:

Caad12 Ultegra. An absolute beast of a bike and will leave any £1-1.5k carbon frame in its wake. Or at least mine does. Outstanding bike.

Probably a very good choice for the money. The bottom brackets on these seem to creak for England if you get a bad one though. That said you can get an adapter which seems to be a workaround if you're unlucky enough to get one that does eat bearings.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    shortfall said:

dg74 said:

Probably a very good choice for the money. The bottom brackets on these seem to creak for England if you get a bad one though. That said you can get an adapter which seems to be a workaround if you're unlucky enough to get one that does eat bearings.
    Agreed. I swapped out my old bearings for ceramic speed & the difference is not immediate but my old bb wasn’t creaking but I got the bearings cheap.

I’ve owned Specialized, TCR’s, Ridleys & a Boardman & the Caad really does leave these bike standing. Swapped the aksiums out for Jetfly Novatec wheels & the bike flies.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Didn't platforms go out of fashion in the 70's?
    I have seen some recently so you may be onto something.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.