Hope joy, Enduro grief

The only downside of Hope hubs is that they use uncommon bearing sizes. The road RS4 now use 17-28-7, which you can only buy as "Hope" or "Enduro". Hope bearings are always hard to find, so I've always use Enduro ones, which don't last.
My thinking is that they are slightly "too big" and once you painfully push them in, the races push on the balls resulting in premature wear.
But... I finally got hold of an original stainless Hope bearing, which fits like a glove, without the need of the usual battle to push it in.
I got it from SJS Cycles and I am tempted to order a couple more, while they still have them.
Anyone knows of a reliable supplier of original Hope bearings of that size?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• I've measured a few of these 28 mm old bearings that I have kicking around and they all are 27.99 or 27.98, including the Enduro ones, so I don't understand why the latter seem to be a lot harder to push in...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I've used Enduro bearings in the pivots on my MTBs in the past, and replaced a Hollowtech 2 bearing with an Enduro one and they don't seem to last any longer than cheaper alternatives.
    I've never had any major issues with them being oversized, but I always cool the new ones before fitting so they go in a bit easier.

Do the Hope ones have a different chamfer on the edges which might make them go in easier?
  • I've used Enduro bearings in the pivots on my MTBs in the past, and replaced a Hollowtech 2 bearing with an Enduro one and they don't seem to last any longer than cheaper alternatives.
    I've never had any major issues with them being oversized, but I always cool the new ones before fitting so they go in a bit easier.

Do the Hope ones have a different chamfer on the edges which might make them go in easier?

They look identical...