What's the best way to crest a hill?

I have some theories based on schoolboy maths and riding my bike.
I reckon if the wind is behind you as you crest, you should push hard just before the summit - because the air that is being funnelled and accelerated across the summit is only at its most effective for a short time before the effect is lessened further down the slope.
On the other hand, into a headwind I find myself waiting to feel that moment when the air pressure drops a bit, further down the slope before I build speed.
Are my hunches sound or am I missing something?

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I think you've had too much time on your hands in lockdown 😀
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    Keep taking the pills! Just keep pedalling until you get to the top and then carry on.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Wheelie.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Select a bigger gear and power over the top to get the speed up on the flat/descent ahead of your mates.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Jump off your bike and run, while juggling your bike, a shoe and a full bidon.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Stop and take a photo of the col sign, then put your windproof on for the descent.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stop, go for a pee, eat a sandwich and wait for everyone to catch up. ;)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Fast enough to get airborne
  • Don't forget the newspaper on the descent.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • Flat out, and keep the hammer down. Too many people decide they are going to ease off when the hill levels. If you’re racing, that’s when you’ll get skinned alive. If you’ve been doing it right your legs are going to be stinging, but keep pushing and, although you’ll extend the sting a bit, it’s better than backing off immediately. There’s normally a nice downhill in which to recover, don’t back off until you are actually going downhill.
  • Select a bigger gear and power over the top to get the speed up on the flat/descent ahead of your mates.

Absolutely spot on.

• Slow enough at the top to light a Regal, then take it easy on the way down.
  • On the back wheel!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited September 2020
    Please nobody attempt a serious answer that the post doesn't deserve.

OP, when you ask what you are missing the answer is the ability not to think up complete cràp. Or... of course, more likely you are trolling to see if people will take you seriously.
  • Freewheeling, stood on the saddle, doing 'The Helicopter'.
  • Pulling the lighter and Gauliouse out of your back pocket.
  • In the big dog, obvs.

You mean a big dog pulling you up to the top of the hill,right?
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not a racer or a troll, just a bike rider. So does a tail wind accelerate over a crest? If not -I'm full of s**t. If so - is it not wise to take advantage of this, hey! even kick the ass out of it and get out of the saddle to offer a larger profile for the wind to catch.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Any way you like so long as you’re not sobbing into your handlebars with your face covered in snot and vomit.
  • johngti said:

Any way you like so long as you’re not sobbing into your handlebars with your face covered in snot and vomit.

I'd say that's still valid (as long as it isn't Box Hill).
  • Defiantly punching the air whilst singing Simple Minds; Don't You (Forget About Me) to yourself.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Bikes and dogs - it will make absolutely no difference, so don’t over think it, just ride your bike and enjoy yourself.

PP
  • pilot_pete - I love riding my bike, but long days in the saddle make me think it over lots. So I will question your point that it makes no difference.
    At the risk of flogging a dead horse - let me suggest that the windiest part of your ride is probably at the crest of a hill somewhere. Is that not then the one time that you would work harder to work with the conditions.
    I can't help thinking there is a watt or two to be gained every now and then.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Just buy an e-bike if you want the fastest possible speed over a hill.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    @ OP, whether the hill is offering assistance with the venturi effect with the wind at your back or if the wind direction is opposing your direction with the wind full in your face you use the same tactics

First third. take it easy'ish and spin
    second third Up the tempo to something that you can hold
    last third, all out and continue the cadence and effort until you've crested and you are on the down hill *

* Take the breather on the downhill and as long as your ability and conditions allow still put effort in to turn the pedals and prepare mentally for the next hill and do exactly the same for the next hill.

It won't hurt any less but you will become fitter and faster.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

pilot_pete - I love riding my bike, but long days in the saddle make me think it over lots. So I will question your point that it makes no difference.
    At the risk of flogging a dead horse - let me suggest that the windiest part of your ride is probably at the crest of a hill somewhere. Is that not then the one time that you would work harder to work with the conditions.
    I can't help thinking there is a watt or two to be gained every now and then.

You said you are not a racer. So it makes no difference. Who cares if there is a ‘watt or two’ to be gained? Unless you are going to blow up before the end of your ride those minimal watts make no bloody difference at all. So what if you would have finished your ride 22 seconds earlier by being fractionally more efficient up a climb?

Push hard if you want to or spin gently and enjoy the views if you want to. It’s all meaningless in terms of saved watts. What on earth are you saving them for?

PP

• Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    On a penny farthing, wearing full tweed, smoking a pipe and doffing ones cap to the startled drivers.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Backwards
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/