Shed size for Turbo & Tools

I need to replace my shed - it's "a few years old" and there are gaps in it now ... it's (I believe) 10 x 8 and full of cr4p, tools, spare bits ... plus my turbo - stored, not setup.

In replacing it I'm aiming on throwing out the cr4p and tidying up the rest - and I even thought about setting up the Turbo in there as it'll be easier to leave it there than on my deck (covered) over winter.
10x8 is quite small though? Especially as it's an apex roof with door at one end.

Half contemplating building my own shed as the ££ for some online seems it'd be cheaper to extend the house! ;)

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I think my shed is a similar size/shape and also needs replacing.
    I'm thinking of replacing mine a similar size on plan, but with a taller roof (to match the neighbours' brick shthouse): some storage could then go high up leaving some floor space. Might still not be enough for a turbo though...

If you're going for a full turbo set up (tv/laptop etc.) It might be better to rebuild in masonry, or at least substantial timber walls for security.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I'm currently in a 10x8ft metal shed with I think ~2m apex roof, currently only have a treadmill and head height is very limited...

I'm awaiting delivery of 3.2m depth by 9m wide twin skin insulated log cabin that'll be the gym, not cheap at ~£10khead height still limited to the 2.5m so as to not require planning permission expense. Sub base is down, cabin should be here in next few weeks hopefully (12 week lead time) ...
    Just need to convince Mrs to find the extra £1300 for the Neo 2t that'll go with treadmill and the home gym. Thankfully already have the bike to put on it Mason Bokeh, oh and a punch bag but that can wait 😀
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    9m wide - that'd fill the width of the back garden - Little SB wouldn't be happy as that'd be his playhouse out ...
    I've got a bit of ground work / digging to do first so I'll see how much space I have to play with ...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    edited September 2020
    Mines as long as a sea kayak. Room for. Wait for it, two sea kayaks, half a single scull (it is okay, it's supposed to break in half) a rowing machine and a trainer. Plus tools and some piles of sh£t, roof racks, rigger, paddles and wotnot. And I have two bikes hung up in there too. Some spare wheels and my pressure washer and maintenance stand.

So, I guess the question is, how long is a sea kayak.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    edited September 2020
    About 5m according to Google.
  • andyh01

• andyh01
    Plan is the green metal shed and the wooden shed behind it (6*4 iirc) will be dismantled, so not really gained any extra but 2 buildings become the one.
    I wasn't allowed to go any deeper else I would've gone 3.5m (width of the base)
    We're also going to make a lean too to connect the conservatory to the "shed"

I did look at breeze blocks/concreat ect or DIY but pre fab log cabin worked out significantly cheaper. I can dig the details out of the co I ordered from if you like, cheapest custom size/mod I found, their off peg was 3m I specced 3.2m, I could've gone 3m height if I faffed with pp but decided against it, likewise looked at roof pitch options A pex gave the most area of max height. You can also custom doors/windows too
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Mine is 1.2m wide and 4/5m long.
    My turbo area is 2.1m wide and about 2.5/3m long.

After that it's storage and a toolbox.
    On the turbo end there's a couple of shelves and my TV/PC is on a unit with 4/5 drawers and a cupboard (which contain car washing gear and bike tools/parts)
  • slowbike
    andyh01 said:

Plan is the green metal shed and the wooden shed behind it (6*4 iirc) will be dismantled, so not really gained any extra but 2 buildings become the one.

I did look at breeze blocks/concreat ect or DIY but pre fab log cabin worked out significantly cheaper. I can dig the details out of the co I ordered from if you like, cheapest custom size/mod I found, their off peg was 3m I specced 3.2m, I could've gone 3m height if I faffed with pp but decided against it, likewise looked at roof pitch options A pex gave the most area of max height. You can also custom doors/windows too

@andyh01 - link to the co you ordered from would be good please
  • andyh01
    slowbike said:

andyh01 said:

@andyh01 - link to the co you ordered from would be good please
    Hey, I'll confirm later but I'm sure it's the Stronghold"

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/log-cabin-stronghold-3m-x-10m-10x33-ft-44mm.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQmKg4rlcz_atHe7O0_hzDOLuPlSu2gWxdPnk4VIZPD_9JqynlF51bhoCpMcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Best by miles from my searching for large cabin/bespoke custom. 44mm thick tongue and groove sourced from Latvia. Single skin under £6k for the standard 10x3. As I say I went twin skin with 50mm insulation, 3.2m depth around £10k
    I'm not associated with them, or on commission or anything, never used them previously and still awaiting delivery. As I say, however, from my searching and communications with just about every available log cabin supplier/builder pre fab and scratch building summer houses/log cabins/breeze blocks/concreat etc these were best quality/value, on paper at least anyway. I was originally looking for at least 45mm thickness for each skin, found some thinner ones for about same price or bit less, but also smaller or 60mm also smaller for double the price and no customermisatio or again double or triple this co pricing. So far they were responsive and informative on telephone calls and email. Put down 30% deposit (iirc)
    , Thanks Andy
  • andyh01
    Yep, it is quick garden I've ordered from out the countless others I tried.
  • slowbike
    ta :) Can't fit the 10m in my garden (well - I could, but Mrs wouldn't be happy... ;) )
  • andyh01
    slowbike said:

ta :) Can't fit the 10m in my garden (well - I could, but Mrs wouldn't be happy... ;) )

My Mrs was same didn't want it going past the first pillar of conservatory hence the 3.2 rather than 3.5m depth..
    As I say they do custom, thinking about it I think I went 9m - 9.5m as wanted to have a separate space for bins and mower from "gym"

I've just had an update, it'll be in the UK in next week so should get a call early following week to arrange delivery

Have you worked out the size available ?
  • slowbike
    yup - had a look at the current shed - 10' x 8' - it'll move back about 5' or so - but restricted on the 8' width unless I remove an apple tree.
  • andyh01
    slowbike said:

yup - had a look at the current shed - 10' x 8' - it'll move back about 5' or so - but restricted on the 8' width unless I remove an apple tree.

I removed two apple trees to fit the new shed in 😀
    I had to remove two other large trees to fit the current metal shed and the summer house in ...
    The two small apple trees for the latest was far easier then the previous two bigger trees.
    I ended up having to burn the stumps out that took about a week to burn through. Neighbors weren't too pleased 🤣
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Ive got a workshop / man cave. plus a standard sized garage.

Mancave is 15ft wide by 25ft long, contains a repair station with perm laid out place for wheel build / truing, a fixed bike stand, work surface, tool storage and there are currently c 30bikes in there :)

I also have room to leave the turbo perm set up . Anything less is frankly ridiculous :)

• andyh01
    oxoman said:

If you want a proper shed look at wheelspinners its epic.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030865/uploads/editor/3w/ckx0d34hypw9.jpg
    Anybody who says their not jealous is a liar.

Is that a company /brand? Just tried googling wheelspinners sheds but nothing obviously came up.

It's just a "large" metal shed - what's the dimensions? Where's the monitors and sound system 🤣. I've gone twin skin for insulation so I could add a proper twin air con unit as well as plenty side windows and double doors as well as access door on side. To go any higher than 2.5m in the UK would require planning permission.
  • andyh01
    oxoman said:

As he's in Australia somewhere I don't think temperature is a problem. Pretty sure he's got everything including kitchen sink and local garage in it.

I can see the temperature in somewhere like Australia would be a major problem, in that it could potentially be too hot and would require industrial air con. With the single skin metal that'll absorb the heat, thus making it more difficult to cool. Insulation would help.