Campagnolo EPS V2, V3, V4.......

I'm thinking about swapping out my mechanical Record 11spd drivetrain for an eps system. i want to stick with 11 speed.

What are the differences between all the versions ?

I did search but couldn't find an answer
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited September 2020
    V1 - battery was external and the interface was a wee box
    V2 - battery went internal but only worked internally on certain frames (via down tube) and certain seat posts - interface is still a wee box - charging port is a PITA
    V3 - battery now works in pretty much every seat post and the interface is now all singing all dancing and works with the phone app

V1 shifters and mechs are compatible right through the series - Campagnolo didn't make any changes to them because they didn't need to - I'm using my V1 lot on a V3 battery/interface with zero issues.
  • Oh and V4 is 12-speed - all change
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020
    V-4 is the 12 speed, and it includes the all singing and dancing software, so that you can set up synchro shifts, and tune shift speeds and assign levers and buttons to your preferences, which are surprisingly useful features.
  • I have only used mechanical Campagnolo. I can't see how anything can be quicker or more flexible! I'll have to try it one day. I am loving my new 12 speed.
  • I have only used mechanical Campagnolo. I can't see how anything can be quicker or more flexible! I'll have to try it one day. I am loving my new 12 speed.

The synchro feature is brilliant. Basically you tell it when you want to shift rings, to keep chain line optimal and cadence / power as steady as possible, and you can get it to shift both mechs simultaneously and also shift the rear to compensate for the ring shift, selecting a ratio which is as close as possible to the last ratio before the front shifted, and it’s all done from one shifter, without having to think about it. That is a very difficult / impossible trick to pull off smoothly, with a mechanical shift. The constant automatic tracking of the front mech, as you shift up or down at the rear is also a very neat trick. It over shifts at the front, then readjusts to keep the chain right in the middle of the front guide automatically. Being able to tune the shift speed is a great idea too, as is the ability to assign different shifters / buttons, without having to recable the shifters.

• You do realise that this can be done via SRAM and Di2 as well yeah?
  • V1 - battery was external and the interface was a wee box
    V2 - battery went internal but only worked internally on certain frames (via down tube) and certain seat posts - interface is still a wee box - charging port is a PITA
    V3 - battery now works in pretty much every seat post and the interface is now all singing all dancing and works with the phone app

V1 shifters and mechs are compatible right through the series - Campagnolo didn't make any changes to them because they didn't need to - I'm using my V1 lot on a V3 battery/interface with zero issues.

Many thanks, much appreciated. Thats just what I was after ;)
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • You do realise that this can be done via SRAM and Di2 as well yeah?

The Campag versions are far nicer / easier to use though. The SRAM AXS is better than the Shimano IMO, but the MyCampy interface on the Campagnolo is even easier / nicer to use.

• I like how you've gone from a Triban with three GPS units, low cadence and a 75kg rucksack, to become a retired and highly experienced amateur racing cyclist and expert in Campagnolo.

• I like how you've gone from a Triban with three GPS units, low cadence and a 75kg rucksack, to become a retired and highly experienced amateur racing cyclist and expert in Campagnolo.

I like the fact that ( a lot of people ) assumed ( wrongly ) that the Triban’s / BTwins were my only bikes, that I hadn’t ever owned and ridden decent bikes, and that I was somehow new to this.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I like how you've gone from a Triban with three GPS units, low cadence and a 75kg rucksack, to become a retired and highly experienced amateur racing cyclist and expert in Campagnolo.

I like the fact that ( a lot of people ) assumed ( wrongly ) that the Triban’s / BTwins were my only bikes, that I hadn’t ever owned and ridden decent bikes, and that I was somehow new to this.

And there we are straight back to the fantasies.
  • webboo said:

I like how you've gone from a Triban with three GPS units, low cadence and a 75kg rucksack, to become a retired and highly experienced amateur racing cyclist and expert in Campagnolo.

And there we are straight back to the fantasies.
    lol