Cassette jumping gears

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
Have done a full rebuild on a bike for someone with a 105 5600 triple. New cable inners and outers, new chain and cassette. The bike was in hell of a state having not been serviced or cleaned for 11 years!
With everything fitted, indexing was done correctly, (I know how to index before anyone says check H and L limit settings) but the rear derailleur will not shift to all gears, choosing to jump one sprocket at various points on the cassette, depending on where the tension is adjusted.

I've checked the shifter is not skipping a change and all is correct.
  1. I've checked the cassette is correctly spaced and used a second cassette experiencing the same problem. The chain length is correct.
    1. Logic says either a bent hanger (although everything looks in line) or a damaged derailleur. Bearing in mind his original chain and cassette were well past the wear limit and gunged up to high heaven, it's possible the stickiness of it all was the only thing preventing it jumping sprockets then. The derailleur has signs of an impact.

Shifting is fine other than this jumping of one sprocket. If I adjust it out, it merely moves to elsewhere on the cassette. Anyone any other suggestions?
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Check hanger alignment with an appropriate tool, just because it looks straight doesn’t mean it is.

What do the jockey wheels look like? Are they worn out? Is there play in the derailleur itself, or anything bent like the cage?

I would also check the B screw setting to optimise the top jockey wheel to sprocket spacing - follow the dealer manual guidance as if it is way out it can affect shifting.

PP
  • StillGoing
    The jockey wheels were changed by me and the B screw setting is correct. The only other alternative I can think of is a sticking link in the new KMC chain, but my money is on a twisted hanger.
  • StillGoing
    edited September 2020
    Sorted. Turns out the Well known dealer that last serviced it, had put a 10 speed cassette on the bike with a 9 speed shifter.
  • "Well known" do you mean Halfrauds?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Sorted. Turns out the Well known dealer that last serviced it, had put a 10 speed cassette on the bike with a 9 speed shifter.

you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
  • StillGoing
    No wasn't Halfords. Situation wasn't helped by the owners shifter being 16 years old and I even counted 9 clicks when checking it, which suggests its on the verge of failure. I guess the dealer in question could have assumed it was 10 speed with 9 clicks. But when you're presented with a bike with a 10 speed cassette and the owner claims its 10 speed, and no amount of minute adjusting solves the shifting problem, it has you scratching the head. Lesson for me; never trust the owner to know what they've got.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited September 2020
    Check the hanger alignment ( both in / out and twist / lateral and vertical ) make sure the cables are running smoothly before fixing them down in the mech. I know of a few frames with internal routing, that use polymer guides hidden inside the frame, if those guides are worn, it can cause issues. Also make sure the cables ( inner and outer ) are properly lubed, and that the cable guide under the frame at the BB ( if applicable) is in good condition, and fitted straight. It’s also worth checking that you’ve got the correct number of sprockets on the cassette for whatever ‘speed’ the bike is, it’s not unheard of to find 10 speed cassettes on 9 speed bikes for example.
  • StillGoing

Check the hanger alignment ( both in / out and twist / lateral and vertical ) make sure the cables are running smoothly before fixing them down in the mech. I know of a few frames with internal routing, that use polymer guides hidden inside the frame, if those guides are worn, it can cause issues. Also make sure the cables ( inner and outer ) are properly lubed, and that the cable guide under the frame at the BB ( if applicable) is in good condition, and fitted straight. It’s also worth checking that you’ve got the correct number of sprockets on the cassette for whatever ‘speed’ the bike is, it’s not unheard of to find 10 speed cassettes on 9 speed bikes for example.

A) Read the thread.
    B) Don't chip in when the solution has been identified and make out you knew what it was.
    ;)
  • It’s also worth checking that you’ve got the correct number of sprockets on the cassette for whatever ‘speed’ the bike is, it’s not unheard of to find 10 speed cassettes on 9 speed bikes for example.

Are you having a laugh??

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Yes, he must be, otherwise he wouldn't post such nonsense so frequently.
  • david37

It’s also worth checking that you’ve got the correct number of sprockets on the cassette for whatever ‘speed’ the bike is, it’s not unheard of to find 10 speed cassettes on 9 speed bikes for example.

Are you having a laugh??

I am though :) milemuncher is a muppet :)
  • StillGoing

It’s also worth checking that you’ve got the correct number of sprockets on the cassette for whatever ‘speed’ the bike is, it’s not unheard of to find 10 speed cassettes on 9 speed bikes for example.

Are you having a laugh??

He's doing his usual berkery. Like dealers put wrong size cassettes on bikes is a common mistake.
  • brundonbianchi
    edited September 2020

Are you having a laugh??

He's doing his usual berkery. Like dealers put wrong size cassettes on bikes is a common mistake.
    Not at all. I’ve been stripping and rebuilding a 9, 10 and 11 speed bike at the same time, and put the wrong cassette on the wrong bike before now. It’s not that hard a mistake to make.

• david37 said:

Are you having a laugh??

Hmmm. I’ve been doing all of this since before you were a twitch. I suppose you might get it eventually. I’m not sure there’s enough days in my life left to wait though.

• gethinceri
    edited September 2020

It is actually quite a hard mistake to make.
  • brundonbianchi
    edited September 2020

Not at all. I’ve been stripping and rebuilding a 9, 10 and 11 speed bike at the same time, and put the wrong cassette on the wrong bike before now. It’s not that hard a mistake to make.

Maybe 9 and 11, but not 9 and 10. You won’t spot it on the stand either.

• StillGoing

Not a hard mistake to make? As soon as it doesn't start changing gear correctly you spot it. And of course you spot it on the stand. If you're indexing the bike properly, you'll notice it isn't changing gear correctly. The fact it is such an unheard of mistake, particularly by a dealer, explains why nobody was forthcoming with solutions. I also question why you're working on three bikes at the same time? I've got four bikes of my own, but wouldn't endeavour working on more than one at once. I definitely wouldn't work on more than one "customer's" bike at a time.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited September 2020

david37 said:

Are you having a laugh??

Hmmm. I’ve been doing all of this since before you were a twitch. I suppose you might get it eventually. I’m not sure there’s enough days in my life left to wait though.

What’s a twitch. Why do you post this tosh, there are folk on here who were putting bikes together before you were gleam in your dads eyes.
  • david37

Are you having a laugh??

surely you mean its easy for someone whos inept to make that mistake.

• Not at all. I’ve been stripping and rebuilding a 9, 10 and 11 speed bike at the same time, and put the wrong cassette on the wrong bike before now. It’s not that hard a mistake to make.

Not a hard mistake to make? As soon as it doesn't start changing gear correctly you spot it. And of course you spot it on the stand. If you're indexing the bike properly, you'll notice it isn't changing gear correctly. The fact it is such an unheard of mistake, particularly by a dealer, explains why nobody was forthcoming with solutions. I also question why you're working on three bikes at the same time? I've got four bikes of my own, but wouldn't endeavour working on more than one at once. I definitely wouldn't work on more than one "customer's" bike at a time.

Time constraints often lead to feck ups. As soon. As you get the bikes on the road it’s immediately obvious. ‘Don’t let the mistakes leave the kitchen’.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I guess it depends on whether you can count.
  • This is an another amazing thread.
  • gethinceri
    I only gravitate towards the ones he posts in.