So I went out in the rain last night....

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
Normally, as the forecast nudges over 10% probability of light drizzle, I reach for the wattbike. But last night, I reached for the mudguarded road bike, donned my gabba and pushed off for a few hours in the rain. Here's what it helped me to remember.

1) I'd say its 4 years since I have intentionally got out in the rain, rather than accidentally being caught out in it. It was lovely. Life afferming. I'd forgotten about the noise the birds start to make when the rain goes and the roads start to dry.

2) I got epically, obscenely, wringingly wet. I could not have been wetter had I jumped in a lake. It absolutely peed it down. Gabba soaked through, waterproof shoes breached. But guess what, turn the pedals a bit faster and I still stayed warm.

3) Mudguards are brilliant. Those in my draft were dry. It was dry for the final 90 mins of my ride, and I came home almost dry and completely free of road dirt.

4) Man it was quiet out there. I swear drivers were more polite too.

5) There is nothing quite like the smugness from knowing AND sticking to rule #5

6) God I love bikes.

Next time I have a ride planned, and its rainy, I'm sticking to it. Anyone else fancy it?
Insert bike here:

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I don't mind getting caught when it's warm... don't deliberately head out for a ride if it's already raining, unless it's a time trial, then I don't mind as it's 25 minutes and then it's over.

It's not always nice, I remember some pretty dire wet rides
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Can you guarantee it being above 20 degrees?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Sounds like my ride yesterday evening too!

I was on a rare commute to work via bike (normally have to pick up daughter) and got caught in the rain on the way home. But as Ugo says, mildly warm rain wasn't that bad at all, so I said to hell with it, I'm wet anyway, might as well eek a couple of hours out of it when I have the chance!

There was an apocalyptic downpour, never been wetter, but had the gabba on and was very comfortable indeed - I headed for the hills and side roads and it felt otherworldly up high in the hills with the mist descending and no one around for miles other than the sheep in the fields!

I loved it....well most of it anyway until I got caught on a flooded road up above my socks!! Wheels are now full of water so i'll have to takes tyres and tubes off tonight to get them emptied and also check the BB just in case, plus a general clean and lube to keep everything in good order.

I wouldn't head out on purpose if it was belting down, but it can be really nice and something very different when you do get caught in a real soggy day. Great sense of achievement, a different sense than going hell for leather for a couple of hours. Although I definitely agree, if it was freezing cold that would just be no fun whatsoever!
  • I got caught in it riding home from work in central London at about 4.20pm.

Soaked to the skin.
  • Don't mind if I'm caught in the rain when I'm out but it's rare that I'll intentionally head out whilst it's raining. An exception being a club ride a few months back where it was stotting it down from the off. 70 odd miles with the first 50 being in downpours. I think once you accept you're as wet as you can possibly get, it's fine after that.

I'm just rubbish at checking over my wheels for water in the hubs/bearings so try to avoid it if I can. Autumn/winter rides with guards are a revelation though. Just bought some dedicated winter wheels as well so hope to do more outdoor riding this winter.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    If anyone could solve the problem for us massively short sighted people who don't like contacts of not being able to see a thing without prescription glasses / inserts etc etc which therefore makes riding in the rain near impossible I'd love it as well!
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, that was me. I rode every day for 3 hours+ even if the weather was terrible. I even rode in storms outside.

However nowadays I just race on Zwift most of the time if the weather is terrible.
  • Was talking to a mate yesterday about how zwift has really impacted some local rides . Our chaingang used to get 50 plus riders all through winter (riders would form 3 groups) whereas last winter it was single figures - similarly on wet Summer days rides would get a decent turnout whereas now you can turn up and be on your own. There are other factors locally to do with the local club scene but zwift is certainly a factor - you can check strava and see guys who would have been out are staying in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ibr17xvii said:

If anyone could solve the problem for us massively short sighted people who don't like contacts of not being able to see a thing without prescription glasses / inserts etc etc which therefore makes riding in the rain near impossible I'd love it as well!

I wear glasses to ride and find a cap does the job well enough. Perhaps get one of these hydrowhatever sprays if that doesn't work. The only time I've really found it an issue is in a wet road race where the spray in your face is constant and the close proximity of others means clear vision is more important.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
    I love riding in the rain, regardless of the temperature, it develops a whole new skill set that aids me when it's drier too.
    Luckily I'm a lone riding type, either commuting or couriering, so quiet country lanes or slow moving city centres are my playground. Roll on the dark winter nights too, that'll increase the intensity?
  • I was delighted with my wet weather ride until I went out on Monday and realised the rear brake was now sticking!! After 10 minutes of faffing about with squirting GT85 wherever I could, I managed to free it up again - not sure if it was the cable or the spring in the calliper itself (SRAM direct mount).

Either way it was annoying considering it was the first time i've had that bike out in the rain...plus the QR sewers are completely full of grit and gunge. Going to have to give everything a deep clean and lube. Fun fun.

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    ibr17xvii said:

I believe washing up liquid. A tiny bit and allow it to dry and it'll stop fogging. I also think Muckoff do a spray if you're that way inclined.
  • 50x11 said:

ibr17xvii said:

I believe washing up liquid. A tiny bit and allow it to dry and it'll stop fogging. I also think Muckoff do a spray if you're that way inclined.
    Washing up liquid. Works well on my helmet visor.
    Not a Giro Hero!