What Torque Wrench

I have been fighting this for years but due to covid I may have to start working (Maintain) on my own bikes. So recommend me your torque wrench I have been advised to look at a few but the prices are so different hard to tell what is good value or overkill.
So Far!

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2020
    For low range torque duties I bought a Lifeline from C.R.C. on sale for £25 and it looks just like most generic torque wrenches under different brand names. Has done its job well for me over the last 4 years.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lifeline-essential-torque-wrench-set/rp-prod155414

My big torque wrench for bb's and cassettes is the Silverline, cost around £25 and has also been good over the last 5-6 years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633567-Torque-Wrench-28-210/dp/B000LFTSG6

Neither are expensive but have been looked after and are amongst the most handy pieces of kit in my tool box.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I have one of those Lifeline ones, they are very good.

But beware! despite the presence of one of those little levers that alter the drive from clockwise to anti-clockwise, the torque wrench will only work clockwise. If you try to use it ACW it will not work at best or break at worse.

I broke a wrench on one of my pedals! I don't believe that there is another left hand thread on the whole bike! I still have it and if anyone believes they can fix it, you can have it for postage.

For a torque wrench that works in both directions, you need to spend a lot more money.

For small torques, or for use on carbon fibre components (bars, frames....) then I deffo use a torque wrench. I was calibrated on steel, iron and aluminium. CF is just too delicate when being clamped, so I prefer to use a torque wrench.

For big torques, like those required on bottom bracket and the cassette hub (40Nm or so) then I am happy with just my hands.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Thanks both the lifeline looks good value just looked at some youtube reviews - Steve why would I need a wrench to work in both directions?
    So Far!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If you want to replace the bearings in your pedals, one of the nuts will be a left hand thread.

It caught me by surprise. I knew that the torque wrench was right-hand threads only, but I forgot. I just flicked the switch and broke the wretched thing! Why, why, why fit the little lever if using it permanently damages the toque wrench? :s
  • loltoride
    I have been lucky with Pedals never had to replace bearings but found maintenance on pedals straight forward for Shimano. So what I need to look for is a Torque Wrench than can torque Left & Right.
    So Far!
  • Another vote for the Lifeline torque wrench on wiggle for things like bars and stems, seat clamps etc... Mine was branded X Tools, but I’m convinced it is now under the Lifeline brand as it looks identical.

Had mine for a few years now with no problems. Literally just fitted some carbon bars to my XC bike with it.

For bigger jobs like fitting cranks I have a Draper 1/2 drive torque wrench. It’s also useful for working on the car. I only paid £25 for it on eBay quite a lot of years ago. My torque wrenches only see light use and I look after them, so have had no problems with the cheaper end of the market such as these.

If I was using them daily or pretty intensively more expensive ones would most like be more durable, but for a home mechanic I don’t see the need to spend overboard.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    try this for bike use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norbar-TTi20-TTI-Torque-Wrench/dp/B07H45QJKL/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=norbar+1/4+torque+wrench&qid=1599151281&sr=8-2

Currently 79 notes bargain. Norbar are THE torque wrench market and make most of the reputable own brand products. or at least the torque wrench internals.

Also if tools can be cool this one is from the company that was established to produce accurate repeatable wrenches to attach the cylinder heads to rolls royce merlin engines. the beasts that powered the Spitfire and the hurricane and of course, the Lancaster Bomber.

These are literally the torque wrench that defeated the Nazi's and kept Europe free. Obviously they arent for the woke.

• david37 said:

try this for bike use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Norbar-TTi20-TTI-Torque-Wrench/dp/B07H45QJKL/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=norbar+1/4+torque+wrench&qid=1599151281&sr=8-2

Currently 79 notes bargain. Norbar are THE torque wrench market and make most of the reputable own brand products. or at least the torque wrench internals.

Also if tools can be cool this one is from the company that was established to produce accurate repeatable wrenches to attach the cylinder heads to rolls royce merlin engines. the beasts that powered the Spitfire and the hurricane and of course, the Lancaster Bomber.

These are literally the torque wrench that defeated the Nazi's and kept Europe free. Obviously they arent for the woke.

Hi thanks for the advice although seems a lot more than the alternatives previously discussed but has good reviews. So based on this tool all I would need are the socket sets which I presume would most probably add another £10-20. Is this the tool you currently have?
    So Far!
  • I have an x-tools torque wrench which as stated above looks exactly the same as the lifeline one for small torque ranges think its like 2 - 20 odd and then i have a halfords advanced torque wrench which was leftover from when i had a motorbike, that goes from 20 - 60 odd or 80, cant quite remember off the top of my head and im not at home.

For socket sets i have the halfords sockets which i have had for years, not sure they do them on their own anymore, and i also have some silverline torx bits which come in handy for the odd bolt.

I would recommend a decent set of sockets as the cheaper variations can round off bolts as they dont always seat correctly on the bolt head, the ore expensive ones tend to have tighter tolerences.

Also worth looking at allen key heads as sometimes a set of allen keys just doesnt cut the mustard.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    loltoride said:

david37 said:

Hi thanks for the advice although seems a lot more than the alternatives previously discussed but has good reviews. So based on this tool all I would need are the socket sets which I presume would most probably add another £10-20. Is this the tool you currently have?
    no i use a wera branded one but i believe its a Norbar. Facom use norbar too. It is more expensive than some but if you believe Torque is important then paying for a wrench that is believable is par for the course.

for your bike you only need hex and torx bits. Get to Halfords and get a professional set. sorted
  • Thanks David I am just starting to get do a few little things to bike as normally just bring to LBS or friend, I know lazy but I have always been best man for job type of person. I will have a look over the next few days and will let you all know but certainly need torque wrench even more than shock pump at the moment. Life was so easier with my hardtail but those days are over now.
    So Far!
  • For low range torque duties I bought a Lifeline from C.R.C. on sale for £25 and it looks just like most generic torque wrenches under different brand names. Has done its job well for me over the last 4 years.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/lifeline-essential-torque-wrench-set/rp-prod155414

Awesome! Thanks for the links! I've been thinking about purchasing one also. About to replace the bottom bracket on my ancient cycle!
  • For low range torque duties I bought a Lifeline from C.R.C. on sale for £25 and it looks just like most generic torque wrenches under different brand names. Has done its job well for me over the last 4 years.

Awesome! Thanks for the links! I've been thinking about purchasing one also. About to replace the bottom bracket on my ancient cycle!
    If for a bottom bracket check what it needs tightening too as I would of thought you would need about 30nm minimum and this model goes to 24nm.
    So Far!
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020

For low range torque duties I bought a Lifeline from C.R.C. on sale for £25 and it looks just like most generic torque wrenches under different brand names. Has done its job well for me over the last 4 years.

This is the big torque wrench I use (linked) for bottom brackets and cassette lockring.

You'll get some good leverage on that old bb with this bad boy. 💪Silverline 28-210Nm 1/2" drive, it's on sale at moment for £22.80 👍

• I'm at risk of stating the bleeding obvious here, but it hasn't been mentioned before.

One torque wrench will not do it all.
    The torque comes in ranges, like 1-5, 5-25, 20-100, 100-200 Nm

Therefore you need to know exactly what you need.
    Most bolts will be in the range 5-25, rear hub and bottom bracket will be 40-50Nm. I have never had a bike that needed anything outside those two ranges. But they exist!
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    Yes Steve, it's been mentioned in the previous three posts. Recent revival post appreciating links then saying it would be great for an old BB, followed by loltoride pointing out the Lifeline only goes to 24Nm.

Followed by me re linking a previous, (more suitable for bb torque range) Silverline torque wrench that goes from 28 to 210Nm to make sure that fact has been explained and re-confirming to new poster today. 👍

This is the big torque wrench I use (linked) for bottom brackets and cassette lockring.

You'll get some good leverage on that old bb with this bad boy. 💪Silverline 28-210Nm 1/2" drive, it's on sale at moment for £22.80 👍

Smashing... Thanks for helping! I appreciate the insight!
    Reality is that when I was about 10 I was able to rebuild my bike... But 30 years on the tech is rather different!!

• I am near the end of my journey regarding torque wrench but can you all advise on below seems really expensive but has excellent range. I have been offered one by a friend for £100 more than I initially planned to spend, look forward to your thoughts.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-tools/topeak-d-torq-wrench-dx-506490.html
    So Far!
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    It's a great deal. Never used one or any digital torque wrench. Happy with my standard low range and bigger range torque wrenches for around £50.

If I was being really picky it would be nice if the range started at 2 rather than 4Nm.

Before buying mine I've stripped threads on handlebar grip collars that are usually recommended to be tightened to 3Nm but obviously this is a very rare situation for needing such low range for bike applications.

Read some great reviews on this wrench, seems like a worthwhile purchase. Would I buy one for £200 R.R.P. doubt it but for £100 I wouldn't hesitate!
  • Thanks I will look for some reviews, I need to check bike to see if anything lower than 4nm I have only found a few obscure things that may not apply to my bike. I thought the quality does not look as good compared to lifeline range. So would I be right in saying this would cover most things I would ever need to change.
    So Far!
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2020
    Over the years of using torque wrenches, (bought initially after cracking carbon handlebars while fitting) can say 95% of range needed falls between 4-50Nm for any bike related nuts and bolts.

I'm sure the quality of the Topeak will be good, will work well for years to come and compared to the price of most other digital wrenches it's worth it. That one will do it all rather than having two with different ranges. Suppose deciding just depends on your acceptable budget.

Bottom brackets and cassettes are the only use for the big range wrench, although I fix mine and friends bikes I don't use it that often but worth every penny for piece of mind with regards to safety, not damaging bolts, threads, and parts etc.

Once you get one, no more guessing by feel and you won't do any job without using them in future. IMO torque wrenches (digital or otherwise) are an essential and valuable addition for your toolbox.
  • loltoride
    edited September 2020
    Ok so lost out on the Topeak but purchased one of these on ebay new for £84.10 to be exact. This will be no help with pedals but will get a larger cheaper model for that, I would of preferred the ratchet model but thought price was good on standard model. Thank everyone for your support with this.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Effetto-Mariposa-Giustaforza-Torque-Wrench/dp/B07Q2G275Y
    So Far!