Drivetrain degreasing in situ?

reaperactual
reaperactual Posts: 1,185
edited August 2020 in MTB workshop & tech
First time I've done this. Got some engine degreaser spray, sprayed liberally on chainring, chain and cassette then washed off with water and happy with the results.

Is it safe to do this without taking them off the bike first? Will the degreaser make its way into the bb and rear bearings? Should I take some precautions to try and protect the areas where the degreaser could get into the bearings or would it be advisable to remove parts from the bike first and not risk it?

Comments

• brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited August 2020
    I often use citrus degreaser, just make sure you keep the degreaser away from the bearings ( by not spraying it directly at the bits with the bearings in them ) and wash it off properly, and it won’t do any harm to sealed cartridge bearings. I wouldn’t use degreaser anywhere near cup and cone bearings though, as they aren’t sealed as well as the ACBs / cartridge type bearings.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I use Fenwick’s Foaming Chain Cleaner for routine cleaning and once every few months use a Park Too Cyclone Chain Cleaner for a deeper clean and degrease. Both work really well and no bad effects on any bearings.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I use Hope's Sh1t Shifter. It is brake friendly, so no need to mask off the brake discs. I use a 10% solution for loosening the general bike muck before cleaning the whole bike.
    Then neat on the gears and chain. I agitate with a brush and then rinse if off.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    engine degreaser and a park tool chain cleaner. get it done, spray it down with a strong jet from the hose, towel dry, lube.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    Diesel works a treat, apparently.

I use white spirit. Small plastic dish. Tesco's cheapest paint brush. Angle the cassette downward so that said white spirit flows towards the 11t not into the hub. turn wheel a couple of times with brush against cassette. Wash with a *low pressure* dribble of water (white spirit is not very mechanically robust) and bingo.

General approach, even with grotty looking black spirit, works for chain rings, f & r mechs.

White spirit is bad. It is from fossil fuels, right? But you can use such a tiny amount that (a) your gel wrapper is much, much worse and (b) we are all doomed anyway so just drive less if it bothers you.
  • reaperactual
    edited August 2020
    Always insisted on fitting components with sealed cartridge bearing systems so relieved they are robust enough to not be effected but will take care of not directly spraying onto those areas.

I used Astonish Engine Degreaser from the local D.I.Y. shop and worked so well that I thought it might be too aggressive for bike parts compared to cycle specific or foam versions. Will take note and only do a deep clean/degrease every few months, good to know how often.

Did faff around with covering the rotor with a plastic bag before hand but not knowing if it will be disc safe I suppose better to err on the side of caution for now.

Looks like my next purchase should be a chain cleaning device for next time. Will make this part of my cleaning regime instead of flossing cassette with rags as never really seemed to get good results with that method.

Will give a light but thorough sprinkle with the hose, dry and look forward to adding lube to a nice clean chain for a change!

Not too fussed about the environment we're all saving the world by riding our bikes!

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice, very much appreciated. 😎👍

• steve_sordy

engine degreaser and a park tool chain cleaner. get it done, spray it down with a strong jet from the hose, towel dry, lube.

I don't use strong jets of anything near my bike. The risk of water being forced past seals is just too high. If the water is contaminated with any sort of degreaser or solvent , even worse!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I have been doing so for many years with no issues, either with wheel or bottom bracket bearings.
  • steve_sordy
    You are either lucky or very careful. :)

It seems that I am either unlucky or just not careful enough. So I just use a bucket and a brush, no hose, no jetwash, no problems. :)
  • reaperactual
    I'm unlucky too, long story, needless to say I won't be blasting the hose near my bike, just a gentle caressing shower as usual. 😎👍
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I use a watering can to wet and rinse the bike. Good coverage and no strong jets of water.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I’ve been using one of these for years.
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/bikehut-chain-cleaning-kit-164289.html
    You have to run the chain through it at quite a rate of knots to get the chain good and ‘foamy’ but it’s really effective. I’ve been using it on my 12 speed recently, and it brings it up like new. I’ve done about 700 miles on it since about June, and I’ve got practically no wear on the chain at all. Decent cleaning, decent lubing, it’s worth the effort.
  • reaperactual
    edited August 2020
    Looks like a great piece of kit, much better than the cheap ones I've been looking at today. Seems like it will do a good job from all angles.

Seeing as I have a £20 Love To Shop voucher that Halfords will accept I reckon that's the winner!

Another new step in my cleaning regime but worth it. Thanks for the recommendation brundonbianchi! 👍
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I’ve been using one of these for years.
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/bikehut-chain-cleaning-kit-164289.html
    You have to run the chain through it at quite a rate of knots to get the chain good and ‘foamy’ but it’s really effective. I’ve been using it on my 12 speed recently, and it brings it up like new. I’ve done about 700 miles on it since about June, and I’ve got practically no wear on the chain at all. Decent cleaning, decent lubing, it’s worth the effort.

Only 700 miles in 2 months. Not like you >:)
  • webboo said:

I’ve been using this bike for truly high days and holidays. The cheap rigs have been taking the brunt.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

webboo said:

I’ve been using this bike for truly high days and holidays. The cheap rigs have been taking the brunt.

According to Strava...

Avge rides/week = 0
    Avge distance/week = 30 miles
    Avge time/week = 2 hours
    Total distance 2020 = 2,842mi

We can only hope you're not doubling up on those totals, cos they're bad enough as they are...
  • First.Aspect

webboo said:

According to Strava...

Avge rides/week = 0
    Avge time/week = 2 hours

We can only hope you're not doubling up on those totals, cos they're bad enough as they are...
    V for Vendetta. Awesome movie.
  • First.Aspect

webboo said:

According to Strava...

Avge rides/week = 0
    Avge time/week = 2 hours

V for Vendetta. Awesome movie.
    So, look, maths isn't your strong point Imposter.

We are in week 35 of 2020. Average mileage is 81.2 per week, so at 2 hours on average is 41 mph. That is awesome.

Which, divided by zero rides means that each ride is infinitely long. This is even more awesome.

I know I have a PhD and all that, which means, if I understand the PhD/common sense Venn diagram correctly, that I have no common sense, but I just wonder whether there might be some perturbation to these data depending on what rides are public or not.

Just saying...
  • imposter2.0
    I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned your PhD before. Be sure to remind us all again very soon...
  • First.Aspect

I don’t think you’ve ever mentioned your PhD before. Be sure to remind us all again very soon...

Don't feel bad, I'm just teasing.
  • imposter2.0

No seriously, mention it more. Put it in your sig, maybe. How will we know otherwise??
  • First.Aspect

No seriously, mention it more. Put it in your sig, maybe. How will we know otherwise??
    No need. You can tell from my posts. I can count and everything.
  • imposter2.0
    You can tell a lot from your posts mate - but not that, unfortunately. That's why I think it would be useful, so that people could appreciate that, despite how you come across on here, you might not be a complete imbecile in some other aspects of your tawdry existence.

Your choice though, obviously...
  • First.Aspect
    Good bants.