Rear derailler

I have a mythique 27.5 vex and think the rear derailler is not great. It's a 1x12 eagle six.

My question is if I swap this our for something better am I best to upgrade to a better dram (not keen on sram) or will a better make 1x12 swap straight in there?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Eagle SX is SRAM's budget 12-speed. But it should work OK. How long have you had it and what problems are you getting?
  • 3 weeks and 2 rides. It just feels flimsy, has jumped off a cog or two despite being indexed and limit screws set correct, a couple of ghost gear changes It's ok, just thinking of getting the gx or something better
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Any Eagle mech is compatible (with the obvious exception of the electronic AXS ones). However, I would also check the cables (do they move freely and are they affected by the suspension movement, as can happen if they're too short) and the mech hanger (make sure it's straight) before swapping the mech, because unless you ensure it is the mech causing the problems upgrading it may not fix anything.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2020
    The SX is made of plastic and doesn't have the shift cable roller that makes shifting better like the other Sram derailleurs.

Heard a lot of complaints about the SX with the same issues you describe because it's basic and cheap.

Another Sram derailleur will be better and be more durable, providing the issue doesn't lie elsewhere as whyamihere has mentioned.

Changing for a Shimano derailleur would work with the rest but you will need a new shifter also and maybe not worth the extra expense if you compared the two brand's performance etc. side by side?

The NX would be a good replacement and is a good price with all the same features as the GX and above, except for weight, materials used and long term durability they are pretty much the same.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/complete-sram-eagle-comparison-whats-the-difference-between-nx-gx-x01-xx1/