27.5+ to 29 inch on Trek Roscoe

Hi,
I bought my 14 year old son a Trek Roscoe with 27.5+ size tyres, which he likes a lot, except, changing an inner tube or tyres.
They are difficult for me to replace, but near impossible for my son. Which is an issue as he has started doing a lot of cycling around the country side, and he could not do roadside repairs.

I wondered if it's possible to replace the existing wheels and tyres for 29" and if they'd be easier to swap for him?

Or if converting to tubeless might be best.

Or 29" tubeless!

Rich

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited August 2020
    Going tubeless will certainly reduce the incidence of flats, dramatically! I went from a flat every 14 miles to none for several years. The next flat was because I let the tyres run out of sealant! I fact the only times I've had a flat in the last 12 years were because I either let the sealant run out (my fault), or when I had two faulty tyres that failed badly at the same mileage and in the same place on the tyre. Both replaced under warranty.

Yes, you can replace a 27.5+ wheel and tyre with a 29er combo. You just have to choose carefully. Can be expensive though, even if you sell the old wheelset.

Give tubeless a chance. Do your research first though, or get someone to show you. Be wary, it is harder than an expert makes it look, but it is a lot easier than a beginner can make it look.

Edit: I must check the sealant levels in my tyres!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What tyres are on the bike?
    Some can be a real pain to fit or remove. Try a different set of tyres before going to the expense of a new wheel set and tyres.
    I have always found Specialized tyres to be easy to fit. Schwalbe tend to be fairly easy as well.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA said:

What tyres are on the bike?
    Some can be a real pain to fit or remove. Try a different set of tyres before going to the expense of a new wheel set and tyres.
    I have always found Specialized tyres to be easy to fit. Schwalbe tend to be fairly easy as well.

Thanks. The Tyres are Schwalbe Rocket Ron's. The wheels are Botranger Line 40.
  • Going tubeless will certainly reduce the incidence of flats, dramatically! I went from a flat every 14 miles to none for several years. The next flat was because I let the tyres run out of sealant! I fact the only times I've had a flat in the last 12 years were because I either let the sealant run out (my fault), or when I had two faulty tyres that failed badly at the same mileage and in the same place on the tyre. Both replaced under warranty.

Yes, you can replace a 27.5+ wheel and tyre with a 29er combo. You just have to choose carefully. Can be expensive though, even if you sell the old wheelset.

Give tubeless a chance. Do your research first though, or get someone to show you. Be wary, it is harder than an expert makes it look, but it is a lot easier than a beginner can make it look.

Edit: I must check the sealant levels in my tyres!

I'll have a chat with my local bike store. Either go tubeless or try a different tyre type.

The place I bought the bike from did admit that even he found the tyres really difficult to remove and replace. Maybe just a bad rim/tyre combination.
  • Hi all.
    Just saying thanks for the advice.
    Had the wheels converted to tubeless. I took some new tyres too, so a bit more expensive than it could have been.
    All seems good so far!!
    Rich