Gravel bike advice

Hi. I am considering the purchase of a gravel bike. I would appreciate any recommendations. I am looking for a bike that would be useful on roads but have the ability to go on tracks, tow paths etc. Not trying to do extreme mountains or extreme paths. Budget is £2500 to £3500. Ive done a lot of road biking and I have a hybrid but I have to take both bikes for holidays so looking for one to do both. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Just make sure it is a more like a road bike. You got some crazy gravel bikes with suspension, which is something I would avoid for your use case.

Which brand? I don't know. It all depends on availability. I wanted to buy a new bike 2 weeks ago but the estimated delivery date was somewhere in 2021.

• vince133
    vince133 Posts: 61
    Thanks for your reply. I am. Not in a rush to purchase but I am missing the ability to have a proper viewing in local bike shops. I’ve seen a Cannondale topstone which I quite liked but no other stock anywhere to compare with.
  • zest28
    So I would definitely also take a look at the Trek Checkpoint and the Specialized Diverge.

There used to be problems with the Diverge, but I heard that their futureshock is fixed now. A friend of mine has this one and he is very happy with it.
  • vince133
    Thanks. Will have a look. I already have a Specialized Tarmac so think I would like to have a different brand but the future shock does appeal.
  • I've looked into the Diverge and Topstone for a new build, but they both lean a bit too much towards off-road than all-road via their geometry, and in the case of the Diverge that Future Shock gimmick.

The Mason Bokeh might be made of aluminium, but it's a hand made frame manufactured in Italy by Dedacciai and an excellent all-round bike. It's pretty much won me over. The paint jobs are stunning too - which is really all that counts in the end!

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/bokeh-bikes
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tow paths ? I've done them on my road bike on 23mm tyres. Not the best ride but can be done very easily. Canals are usually flattish too so you don't need MTB low gears.

You could just get any road disc bike that will take wider tyres. Look at Planet X Hurricane or Tempest ?

All depends how gnarly your tracks are I guess but for your budget you could get either of the above and buy a lovely set of road wheels and tyres to use on the road.
  • vince133
    Thanks for your responses. Cannondale looking like a good option. I will keep looking at options. I’m not in a rush and quite a wait for decent stock levels.
  • vince133
    Thanks I will look at those as well. Availability is quite poor especially as I would like to see the bike I choose. Not in a rush though so will get some options together and see what stocks come through.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    edited August 2020
    vince133 said:

Thanks for your reply. I am. Not in a rush to purchase but I am missing the ability to have a proper viewing in local bike shops. I’ve seen a Cannondale topstone which I quite liked but no other stock anywhere to compare with.

i have the Topstone 105 model and absolutely love it i got the 2020 model as didn't want the lefty fork as i want to use mine for road and gravel also

• Good luck getting one I’m looking at the Revolt Diverge or Trekpoint local suppliers telling me nothing available until next year. The Giant dealer said my best chance is to pre-buy 2022 model. But I’m not committing to a new bike that I can’t test ride.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited August 2020
    Medium https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adventure-bikes/boardman-adv-8.9-mens-adventure-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-389606.html shows as available to order for me, great spec for £900 if you have British Cycling membership for the 10% discount.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anybody had any experience with this bike
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Collecting an ADV 8.9 XL end of next week, took a punt as looks v good VFM and it came up as available in my size one evening...I'll let you know. I was considering Cannondale Topstone, as stated to be similar geometry to my Synapse roadie I love but no availability until who knows when.
    I have factored in a wheel upgrade, and there was a post that the chainset won't last long but still pretty good spec for the £.
  • vince133
    My local giant stockist wasn’t able to provide any idea of Giant revolt delivery. Not even any 2021 models on the giant website.
  • vince133

i have the Topstone 105 model and absolutely love it i got the 2020 model as didn't want the lefty fork as i want to use mine for road and gravel also

I do like the topstone. I have seen a 105. They do a 2021 model with grx. None available local to me at the moment though
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited August 2020
    I have the ADV 8.8. I'm not all that pleased with it, but I was limited by my work C2W scheme. The trp spyre brakes always feel spongy and ineffective.

I much prefer my Genesis CdF, but my older model doesn't have the tyre clearance of the newer models.

Buying today with your budget I'd definetely choose a CdF for gravel.

Edit. The new 8.9 has grx hydro brakes, so likely to be a lot better. The CdF is still a more comfy ride though.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Orbea Terra with the 2x drivetrain.
    Fits your price point, is capable as a road bike, but has the ability to get off the beaten track and the option to customise the paint scheme to your hearts desire.

I'm picking one up next week, cant wait!
  • vince133
    Orbea is another one I quite the look of. Local bike shop is hoping to have one in that I can try. Have you customised the colour? I’ve had s play and can’t decide what colour I would go with.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    oxoman said:

You don't need to look at just gravel titled bikes, cyclocross are basically the same. My own giant TCX gets hammered around most local XC red and blue trails around me in the east midlands. Currently running 42mm tyres, doesn't get used much on the road as I have other bikes for that.
    Other option is pinnacle arkose depending on how much gravel riding you intend doing you will want different tyres. Only issue with any bike at the moment is stock availability. Personally I'd recommend that whatever bike you have make sure it has hydraulic brakes.

I'm interested and encouraged by this. I'm a confirmed roadie but thinking of buying a gravel bike for winter training. NOT to go mountain biking but to open up a load of forest tracks around me. I think it's possible I may do some cyclo-cross in the next couple of years too and I was hoping I might be able to do both on the same bike. Is there an essential difference between the two types?
  • vince133 said:

Orbea is another one I quite the look of. Local bike shop is hoping to have one in that I can try. Have you customised the colour? I’ve had s play and can’t decide what colour I would go with.

Muted tones for me.
    Bright orange frame with red inserts while the logo and other highlights are picked out in garish bright lime green!
    Hopefully the thieving scum around here wouldn't be seen dead on such an eye popping bike, so I'll be safe out and about.
  • Sounds good. With the abIlity to customise I think I would pick something a bit different. Hope it meets your expectations.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I was after something similar, mainly fast commuter Inc tow paths
    etc year round, club runs but also for family rides across fields, country parks etc also want try cycle cross... It really is a few bikes in one.
    In end I went for a Mason Bokeh 2x ultegra 700c 32mm G1s tubeless on hunt wheels. At the time it was the best all rounder and best value 4 season, do it all bike. It does just goes. Fast on road, agile off road.
    With some of them, Bokeh included, you can also fit 650b/27.5 wheels for more off roading if needed, personally I've not felt the need yet. Full mounts too.
    I was tempted with their steel Resolute but wanted the wider tyre clearance/650b option if Bokeh as the Resolute is limited to 700x28 plus guards iirc
  • Got a deal on the trek chekpoint SL6 2020 model which is virtually the same as the 2021 model (which you cannot get) only difference Ultegra components. Had a quick go on it and it felt super comfortable, I’m picking up next week so will update how it rides on/off the rough stuff.
  • zest28
    Yeah, seems the best way to buy new bikes is the 2020 model as 2021 models are usually out of stock (my bike arrives in 2021)

Enjoy the Trek Checkpoint. It is a nice gravel bike.

• pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    Mason Bokeh. End of.
  • andyh01
    pauly69 said:

Mason Bokeh. End of.

Then again I am bias. I have the shutter black Ultegra with 700c wheels, 2 yr old still in love with it. I nearly went for the Resolute but wanted more versatility with the wider tire clearance and option to run 650b wheels but not felt the need yet with the 700vx35mm G one tyres.
    Amazing bike ☺️
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    pauly69 said:

Mason Bokeh. End of.

2 friends have these. They re both in love with them. In their words, "what other bike could I have set KOMs on road and on bridleways and then ridden from London to Rome on?"

They look awesome too.

Curveball - on the Life in the peloton pod, The (sponsored) riders sing the praises of the supersix Evo for being a road bike, but one that can take 30mm tyres for Euro style gravel riding. I think the endurance model (forget the name) also has the capability.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyh01
    Truth be told ddraver, I think I went for the wrong option, I went with at the time "limited edition shutter black" I'm not 100% on the orange "Mason" writing on the fork, would've been much better in the yellow to match the M on the seat tube and underside of the seat. I may have had prefer the grey but having not seen any up close hard to say but it's minor personal preference sometimes I like it other times I don't notice/see the orange writing anyway
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited September 2020
    (obviously I'd never say this to their faces, but they have an orange and a grey one and they both look 😍)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    ddraver said:

pauly69 said:

Mason Bokeh. End of.

2 friends have these. They re both in love with them. In their words, "what other bike could I have set KOMs on road and on bridleways and then ridden from London to Rome on?"

They look awesome too.

Curveball - on the Life in the peloton pod, The (sponsored) riders sing the praises of the supersix Evo for being a road bike, but one that can take 30mm tyres for Euro style gravel riding. I think the endurance model (forget the name) also has the capability.
    Synapse; as you say - ability to take wider tyres is key. The bokeh takes it a stage further tho, with up to 40-odd mm on 700c, or 50+ on 650b - plus a barrel-load of mounts for maximum versatility. And it looks cool ;)