Grinding Feeling Through The Pedals - Cassette?

ibr17xvii
ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
I'm getting grinding through my feet & pedals but only in certain gears.

Happens in the big & small ring, in the middle cog of the cassette & the 2 either side but not as bad.

Cassette came with my bike & is an 11/32 105 R7000 11 speed that has done 4400 miles in all weathers as it's on my winter bike. Chain was changed approx 1000 miles ago. Deffo not pedals / cleats as I've swapped them over from my other bike with the same result.

I'm thinking it's the cassette as the shifting is all fine, no problems there however IME cassettes usually last a lot longer than that?

The only other thing to mention is the cassette appears to have indentations on it like the chain is rubbing on it somehow? I know cassettes have little notches to help with the shifts but it's deffo not these as I've compared it with my other bike. I'm guessing that could be what is causing the issue but how could that be if the shifting is OK & if I just bought a new cassette it could do the same to the new one?

Appreciate opinions if anyone thinks it could be anything I've missed as I don't want to buy a new cassette to test it out unless I have to!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    You will need a new cassette at some point In the near future so you may as well use it as elimination.
    Spares box if not.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ibr17xvii
    pblakeney said:

You will need a new cassette at some point In the near future so you may as well use it as elimination.
    Spares box if not.

That's what I was thinking, I was just looking for any opinions if it could be anything else.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Strip down & clean?
    Cassettes suffer from gunk build up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ibr17xvii
    pblakeney said:

Strip down & clean?
    Cassettes suffer from gunk build up.

I don't have OCD about cleanliness but I do clean my drivetrain pretty regularly. It usually gets done about every couple of weeks depending on usage.

I may just have to bite the bullet & get a new cassette if no one can think of anything else but 4400 miles seems awfully poor to need to replace a cassette even in all weathers.

Might get a R8000 Ultegra & see how that fares.

The little indentations that appear to be the chain rubbing are irritating, can't work out why that would be.
  • ibr17xvii said:

Happens in the big & small ring, in the middle cog of the cassette & the 2 either side but not as bad.

As you describe it, I can't see it being the cassette (assuming its locknut is tight). Bearings or bearing surfaces, yes. You say you have another bike, is it possible to try the cassette (or even wheel, to narrow the search area down) from that one? You just need to try your chain on a cassette around the spot where you’re noticing the vibration to see if it persists
  • ibr17xvii

ibr17xvii said:

As you describe it, I can't see it being the cassette (assuming its locknut is tight). Bearings or bearing surfaces, yes. You say you have another bike, is it possible to try the cassette (or even wheel, to narrow the search area down) from that one? You just need to try your chain on a cassette around the spot where you’re noticing the vibration to see if it persists
    Can't try the wheel from my other bike unfortunately as 1 is disc & the other is rim.

They are both slightly different ratios (11/32 v 11/30) but I could take the cassette off my best bike & give it a shot.

Bearings is a possibility but I would've thought it would happen in all sprockets that being the case.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Seems obvious but are you sure you got an 11 speed chain when you changed it
  • ibr17xvii
    paulwood said:

Seems obvious but are you sure you got an 11 speed chain when you changed it

I had it changed by a local mechanic as part of a service last year so I would certainly hope so!!!

• At this moment in time your only trying to identify what is causing the grinding your feeling
    So a short test ride should do, no need for both brakes etc etc just take it steady

You've eliminated the pedals so It could be bottom bracket, chain, back wheel - narrow it down
  • ibr17xvii

At this moment in time your only trying to identify what is causing the grinding your feeling
    So a short test ride should do, no need for both brakes etc etc just take it steady

You've eliminated the pedals so It could be bottom bracket, chain, back wheel - narrow it down

As the weather is gonna be pretty poor over the next few days think I'm gonna take the cassette off the wheel & stick it on my turbo to see if I get the same result in the same gears.

That would at least rule out the wheels & the bearings. I honestly don't think it's the chain as it's pretty new so that would leave the cassette & BB.

Next point of call would be new cassette and / or take the 11/30 off my other bike.
  • Knees?
  • Make sure the inter sprocket spacers are in good condition, and that they are actually there. They are made out of plastic ( certainly on lower end cassettes) and can deform over time.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited August 2020
  • ibr17xvii
    edited August 2020

Knees?

Still have 2 but unfortunately they are beyond repair ;)

Make sure the inter sprocket spacers are in good condition, and that they are actually there. They are made out of plastic ( certainly on lower end cassettes) and can deform over time.

Good shout cheers, cassette shouldn't be that well worn but something to check.

If the weather forecast holds true tomorrow & is as bad as they say I'm gonna take the cassette off the wheel & stick it on the turbo, put the bike on & see if it's still the same. That will at least rule out the wheel.

Next step after that will have to be a new cassette I guess.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If your cassette is so old that the spacers have deformed, then it’s well past the time for replacing it. I have never seen a deformed spacer on any of my cassettes in all the time we have had cassettes as opposed to having your sprockets on a block.
  • ibr17xvii
    webboo said:

If your cassette is so old that the spacers have deformed, then it’s well past the time for replacing it. I have never seen a deformed spacer on any of my cassettes in all the time we have had cassettes as opposed to having your sprockets on a block.

As above cassette has only covered circa 4400 miles so I can’t see it being a worn spacer but I will check them.
  • Just buy a new chain and cassette.
  • shortfall
    ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

As above cassette has only covered circa 4400 miles so I can’t see it being a worn spacer but I will check them.
    I wouldn't put this high on my list of investigations for the same reason I wouldn't check if the grinding was caused by meteor impact.
  • ibr17xvii
    shortfall said:

ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

I wouldn't put this high on my list of investigations for the same reason I wouldn't check if the grinding was caused by meteor impact.

Not many of them round here so I've ruled that out.

• ibr17xvii

Just buy a new chain and cassette.

Chain is pretty new so don't think that's the cause.

I've put the cassette & the bike on the turbo this morning with the same result so looks like a new cassette may be needed.

4400 miles doesn't seem a lot for it needing to be replaced though but it is what it is. Can't see it being anything else really.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    shortfall said:

ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

Of the two, a meteor impact is more likely, to be fair...
  • shortfall said:

ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

Which shows what you know then. Not much. It’s very easy to damage the spacers, I’m surprised you don’t....know........ that........
    Actually I’m not surprised.
  • ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

It could be damage to the spacer(s) not necessarily worn / deformed.

• shortfall
    edited August 2020

shortfall said:

ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

Which shows what you know then. Not much. It’s very easy to damage the spacers, I’m surprised you don’t....know........ that........
    Can you explain the mechanism whereby this might happen? It's not something I've heard much about or experienced personally.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

shortfall said:

ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

As Shortfall has asked you above - can you explain instances were you have experienced this, how it happened (ie the mechanical effect which caused the spacers to deform) and what the effect was?

A nylon spacer will have a compressive strength in the order of 55mpa - which is several orders of magnitude higher than the torque value you are likely to exert on the cassette lock ring. But I'm sure you'll have the answer to hand...

I don't think any of us should be holding our breath for this though...