Road bike lights

Hello Folks,

I've just started cycling with a few friends... can someone suggest what back lights to get just for safety. We usually go during the morning and when it's daylight, but I would feel better with some lights.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    I settled on a Moon Orion.
    Simple, but effective.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I think anything with a solid and pulse function. Would recommend USB charging too.

I have the Bontrager Ion 100 front and rear. Nice bright pulse, small, easy to attach and remove. Last about 10 hrs I think.
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • Exposure TraceR
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    oxoman said:

Exposure tracer as a daytime light. Bombproof and bright, but a bit dearer than some.

This
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Another vote for the Exposure, expensive but worth it
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Garmin varia
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    I use a Lezyne strip drive 150 rear - it's daytime pulse mode is very bright and I've used them for years through winters with no trouble.
  • any of the above suggestions are good, just depends on your wallet size!
  • mountaingoatimnot
    mountaingoatimnot Posts: 185
    edited October 2020
    As said, any of the above are good bright lights with excellent reputation. The Lezyne KTV range might be another option if you want a slightly wider light
  • BikeRadar's current test of the best lights on the market can be found here. This is due to be updated with this year's results in the coming weeks: https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-bike-lights-for-road-cycling/
    Assistant Editor for BikeRadar.com. Keep up to date with my latest work here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Another vote for Trace and TraceR, mine are well over 5 years old.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Personally I go for the Moon rear lights. Had a few Lezyne models over the years but I think Moon are better. Try the Nebula.

One tip, when riding in a group have your lights on constant rather than flashing. It can get very irritating following another rider with a flashing light on.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Agree with both of Paul's comments.

I use a moon nebula rear which is amazing. Also has a saddle rail mount which is very tidy.
  • Bontrager Flare R under the seat post and Cateye X3 on the seat stay as a backup. Both bright enough in isolation or use both to be ultra visible in rainy conditions etc.

One tip... smear a small amount of Vaseline on any joints in the light case and around the charging port (if your light is rechargeable). I used to regularly kill lights when cycling in the rain, this completely solved the problem.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737

Another vote for the Exposure, expensive but worth it

Unfairly good. Get this. You won’t regret it.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Bontrager Flare R, compact, cheap, bright and automatically adjusts for day/night.