size advice

Hi there, I'm considering buying my first mtb but with stocks very low the options seem limited. I have my eye one an x-caliber 8, however one shop has only M/L in stock and another shop only L. Based on the recommendations my height (1.80) I would fit both, would it be better to buy the smaller one or go for the bigger one?

One thing I was considering is that I would like a narrower bar, on rental mtb's I find the bars often too wide. I read that with a narrower bar you need a longer stem so I was wondering if for that reason the smaller size bike would be better.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    The best way to know is to test ride both sizes if possible (or at the very least sit on them both) and see which one feels the most comfortable and fits the best. You may find both would be ok or one size will feel better than the other. Take your time in the shop and be sure you're happy and confident with the size you choose.

If you aren't used to riding mtb's and only do it occasionally the bars will feel wide but only at first, ride it for a few days and you won't notice and you will get used to it.

I reckon concentrate on getting the right size bike and give it some time before thinking about customising your cockpit.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The bars are wider so that you have more leverage to resist the turning forces on the front wheel exerted by rocks and other trail features. Narrow bars are great if you are commuting through heavy traffic, otherwise not.