Rear disc hub for 130 OLN drop outs

I want to convert my existing Titanium frame ( Airborne Cape Diem ) to a rear disc brake. I am fed up replacing my rear rims due to brake wear - it is my winter/wet weather bike. I can only find road bike disc hubs for 135 mm drop outs. Is there a 130 option any where or can I modify a 135 hub by replacing non drive side spacers. Also I have a lathe so not against a bit of home machining! Being Titanium I don't think cold setting the frame as for steel is an option.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I urge you to think again.
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo. can you expand on you comment - eager to learn
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    How will you mount the disc caliper on a non-disc specific frame?

PP
  • Hi PP. I have the ability to fabricate stuff. I bought a cheap Chinese bolt on bracket as a basic guide to dimensions. I imagine a bolt on design in CNC'd aluminium with possibly some carbon fibre clamping features. What I cannot make I can get made so not really an issue. Might take a while to do though!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Conversion kits to attach to the drop outs are available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073PVPV8K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_I-ypFbF3M7PPC

But I'm with Ugo on this. The loadings through the seat stays will not be what they were designed for.

Does anyone still make ceramic coated rims? That's what I used before I switched to disc in 2009(!) for my commuter.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    If you have the ability to build a bracket for disc brakes, then surely replacing a rim shouldn't be a big deal. It takes me less than an hour to replace a rim on a wheel and it's something I do every other year or so... I really don't see how a bodged disc brake is going to be a better solution.
    At some point there were some 130 mm rear hub options for disc, but they are rapidly disappearing as standards change. It's all going towards thru axle 142 mm. 130 mm QR for disc is obsolete... even 135 mm QR is becoming obsolete
    left the forum March 2023
  • I had not thought about ceramic rims , that might be a good option. I like to think I am sufficient an engineer not to bodge but biting the bullet and changing the rim for something more durable less frequently might be the way forward. Thanks.