Help with my bike sizing

barry1236Fq1dyCyA
edited August 2020 in Road beginners
Hi guys, i recently got back into cycling and i got this great deal on a planet x ec130 with a fsa power meter, i know its alot of bike for a novice but it was a great deal off €1200 for both.
im 182cm with 32in inseam.
I bought the planet x as the s eller said it was size 54cm, now planet x are funny in that 54cm is a large with a top tube of 570mm, stack of 560 and reach of 401mm. I thought coz ive a long torso short legs this would work.

However upon buying and cycling it realised its actually a 53cm(m) with a top effective top.tube of 54cm. So the seller advertised the top tibe length of 54cm and not the size planet x sizing
of 54cm.

I still feel sttetched out but the hub is way in front of my handlebars, with alot of weight in my hands. The fitting app says my shoulder angle is way too tight i should move the saddle forward? That will make my prpblem worse no?
Heres a pic
do.you think a 120mm stem(it has a 100mm) and a stack of spacers would fix my hands? Does it look way to small?

Im ot the most flexible as im.only getting back into it but i really dont want to sell and buy another bike.
I used to ride a 58cm cube peloton thenan emonda 54m and the lbs fit me to both, the said the reach was the same on both even thought they were different sizes. So i dont know where i am size wise as both rode really well.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Any 'fitting app' that suggests you move your saddle to fix your 'shoulder angle' needs to be deleted.

The pics are too small to be of any use, tbh..

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Helpful...

Happily I have a larger screen. But its really difficult to just eyeball these things I'm afraid.

FWIW I'm 4 cm shorter than you, but have a (custom) frame and a couple of others with a roughly 55cm ett. I like a 110 cm stem. So the frame could be on the small side for you, but hard to say if the next one up would be too large or not.

I just looked at the Emonda 54 geometry and the ETT is 2 mm shorter than that PX (53 is a medium, ETT is 545, next size up quite a big jump).

To relieve pressure on your hands, the bars need to be higher, but that looks maxed out already without flipping the stem. But, the angle of your back doesn't look stupid, so perhaps this is just you getting used to riding again?

Try putting the saddle *back* a bit to stretch you out more. If moving the saddle back does the trick and makes you feel less hunched over the bar, you could then invest in a longer stem.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Pics need to be higher res...I'm assuming you have a baggy t-shirt on and is your heel on the pedal?...but from what I can tell the bike is probably too small for you. You may as well post some better pics though as you've bought it now so you may as well be sure. If the seller misdescribed it you should have returned it.

Find it hard to believe the Trek in 54cm was the right size for you either as you are well above Trek's recommended height for that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • What’s your inside leg measurement?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

What’s your inside leg measurement?

Do you not read threads before replying Nick? It's right up there in the first para.
  • First.Aspect

What’s your inside leg measurement?

Do you not read threads before replying Nick? It's right up there in the first para.
    I think it was a joke, mate.
  • First.Aspect

Any 'fitting app' that suggests you move your saddle to fix your 'shoulder angle' needs to be deleted.

The pics are too small to be of any use, tbh..

All other things being equal, if you move back on the saddle, isn't this exactly what happens?
  • What’s your inside leg measurement?

I see it now. OP I would say the 54 would be too small for you, no matter what you try with bits and bobs to adjust things. The 56 would be better. The 54 wouldn’t be unrideable, but I wouldn’t expect you’d ever find it comfortable.

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

All other things being equal, if you move back on the saddle, isn't this exactly what happens?

That demonstrates that you don’t understand bike fitting too.

A bike fit starts from the pedal/ cleat interface, then the saddle is adjusted fore and aft and up and down to get the correct knee bend angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke and KOPS (old school method), which is just trying to get your CofG in the right place - too far forwards will put excessive weight on the wrists, too far back will have you over stretched.

The pedal cranks (unless you change them) are fixed, so the saddle must be moved around them. Moving the saddle to adjust for reach is completely wrong because it will throw out the leg angles and CofG.

Reach is adjusted with stem/ bar/ spacer adjustments. You can only do so much with the front end - if the frame is the wrong size you may not be able to get the reach within your optimum measurement.

PP

• First.Aspect

That demonstrates that you don’t understand bike fitting too.

A bike fit starts from the pedal/ cleat interface, then the saddle is adjusted fore and aft and up and down to get the correct knee bend angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke and KOPS (old school method), which is just trying to get your CofG in the right place - too far forwards will put excessive weight on the wrists, too far back will have you over stretched.

The pedal cranks (unless you change them) are fixed, so the saddle must be moved around them. Moving the saddle to adjust for reach is completely wrong because it will throw out the leg angles and CofG.

Reach is adjusted with stem/ bar/ spacer adjustments. You can only do so much with the front end - if the frame is the wrong size you may not be able to get the reach within your optimum measurement.

PP

Mmm. Lots of words. Must be right.

Bike fit doesn't start with the feet, necessarily. The two professional ones I ever had started with saddle height, but what do they know.

If you apply your reasoning, it would not be possible to have a relaxed touring bike, a TT bike and a MTB all fit the same person, because the saddle sure as hell won't be in the same place wrt pedals for all three.

In any case, it's just an app. With simple guidance. That you are over analysing.

If you move backwards with your hands in the same position, what happens? Personally I don't have a telescopic torso so my arms straighten and my shoulders change position. That's all it is saying. I'm sure the OP isn't expecting it to be a bike fitting panacea, and it's a tad insulting to infer this.

Perhaps it's not intended but if you wade into a beginner question (a sensible one at that) and your opening gambit is "you don't know what you are talking about" what impression do you think that gives? Of you, principally.

Saddles have a range of adjustment. For figuring out the OPs issue without buying a set of stems of different length, it seems sensible to try. If it makes him feel less bunched up, as I said, you then get a longer stem. If not, it's too small.

But thank you so much for telling me all about bike fit. There's little I like more of an evening than condescension.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Whatever, I won’t be asking you for bike fit advice.

PP
  • First.Aspect

Whatever, I won’t be asking you for bike fit advice.

PP

No, your centre of gravity would be all wrong and your bike would not float. You need to ask a rocket scientist instead.
  • Or lay out some moolah for a bike fitting.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • First.Aspect

Or lay out some moolah for a bike fitting.

You don't need a bike fitting to get the right sized frame. A bike shop or a modicum of proprioception should suffice.

Bike fitters would disagree, but there is now a whole industry for over complicating things there that didn't exist 20 years ago. Like asking a chiropractor if there's anything wrong with your back.
  • I'm 178cm with ~82.5cm cycling (not trouser) inseam, looking at geo from https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTPXEC130/planet-x-ec-130e-rivet-rider-carbon-aero-road-frameset compared to my "58cm" Cube (that has 388mm reach and 610mm stack, with a 110mm -6 degree stem), I'd want at least a 110mm stem if not 120mm to get a similar fit to my Cube.

If you are 4cm taller than me with even shorter legs for your height (I have a feeling you have stated your trouser inseam), you would almost certainly need a longer stem than 120mm.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

You don't need a bike fitting to get the right sized frame. A bike shop or a modicum of proprioception should suffice.

Bike fitters would disagree, but there is now a whole industry for over complicating things there that didn't exist 20 years ago. Like asking a chiropractor if there's anything wrong with your back.
    Well, FA, we will just have to agree to disagree on this.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • First.Aspect

Mmm. Hard to believe anyone could ride a bike before 1999 isn't it.

I had my first bike fitting in 1979 at Condor courtesy of the late Monty Young. Hard to believe that anyone could ride a bike before 1979, isn't it?
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • First.Aspect

I had my first bike fitting in 1979 at Condor courtesy of the late Monty Young. Hard to believe that anyone could ride a bike before 1979, isn't it?
    Yeah, we aren't going to agree. It's not a bike fitting yes/no thread anyhow (that's a yes, sometimes) It's a can we advise someone about buying a bike in Gumtree without the help from Retul yes/no thread. Please for the love of God let the answer to that be yes.
  • Hi Guys thanks for the info, yes im not looking for a bike fit, just looking to see if i can make this bike work for me or if its so out of range its better to move it on.
    the planext x website does say this medium size fits 5'8-6ft.

i have the spacers up to max and i flipped the stem, with the stem normal the front hub was way out in front, with it flipped the handlbar now hides the stem, its a little more comfortable but when i try to get in an aero position my arms dont hang at 90' to my torso they are close to my ribcage, with my elbows knocking off my knees. if i posteriorly rotate my pelvis back my arms feel more comfortable but this is hard to maintain.
    heres a better picture i hope!

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I claim no expert knowledge here, this is just my unbiased opinion based on what I see in the pics you have posted. That bike looks waaaay too small for you. Also any marginal aero gains the frame might give you will be wiped out in spades by running a stack of spacers and flipping the stem. I'd move it on, take the hit and buy something that fits and if that means going to a physical shop and trying before you buy so be it. Good luck.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited August 2020
    shortfall said:

I claim no expert knowledge here, this is just my unbiased opinion based on what I see in the pics you have posted. That bike looks waaaay too small for you. Also any marginal aero gains the frame might give you will be wiped out in spades by running a stack of spacers and flipping the stem. I'd move it on, take the hit and buy something that fits and if that means going to a physical shop and trying before you buy so be it. Good luck.

This^^
    The bike looks way too small and just wrong for you IMO and a longer stem would make it look even more wrong.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have the same position when I ride my 6 year old grandsons Frog bike.
  • jessand
    jessand Posts: 45
    Hi Barry
    You've probably come to the conclusion that the bike is too small for you. 54cm top tube generally fits a rider of 5'8 or 9 - other things being equal. You also say you're not that flexible which means that this type of bike may not be ideal anyway. I would suggest that you take the size and geometry of the bikes that fit you and use that as you main criteria for a new one. That planet x is never going to fit you properly (IMO).
  • Thanks guys, it's crazy how planet x actually recommend this size to someone even taller than me and for it to be so far left field its nuts, here the size guide. Off to Ebay and get myself a roubaix or a defy!