Charging a Garmin whilst riding

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
I’m sure many long distance bikepackers and audaxers have worked out how to do this, so I’m looking to tap your knowledge if I may!

I have a Garmin 1030 and I am planning a really, really long ride (400k, which in one go is long for me! ;-)

I know about battery saving mode, backlight off etc etc to preserve battery, and also that there is a Garmin battery pack available, BUT I DON’T WANT ONE OF THOSE for various reasons, but mainly due to cost (I’m only going to use it once or twice at most).

So, what I want to do for my one off ride is connect a power bank of some sort. This blog explains the problem of the Garmin switching off if you connect a power pack using a normal micro USB to male USB cable.

https://joewein.net/blog/2013/03/04/garmin-edge-usb-power-hack/

So it appears I need an On The Go (OTG) cable. This is where I am getting a bit stumped. I cannot find a male micro USB to male USB OTG cable. They all seem to be male micro USB to female USB!

Is anyone aware of such a cable? If not, do I also need a male to male USB OTG cable to connect from the power bank to the female end of the micro USB/ female USB cable?

Obviously I would rather just use one cable, as there will be fewer connections and less waterproofing to do.

Any help of advice appreciated.

PP

Comments

• pilot_pete
    Ahh, excellent! If ugo.santalucia is looking in, can he confirm all you need it the data blocker and a normal charge cable rather than an OTG cable?

Many thanks oxoman, very helpful.

PP
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Yes, that’s all you need.
  • pilot_pete
    Thank you very much. Infact, I’ve just found this!

https://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Condom/

I’ve placed a slither of sellotape over the two data contacts in the USB charging cable and then plugged it into my computer with it started (as in a ride) and hey presto it’s charging whilst recording!!!

PP
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    If all you need to do is block the data terminals, try using a cheap cr@ppy usb cable from a power bank.
    They often only have 2 wires in them ( + and - ) leaving out the data wires.

Might also save you 1g of weight which will save you half a bite of a mars bar over 400km :wink:
  • pilot_pete
    Haha! Great idea.... :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    I am pretty sure I can do a 400 km with my 530 without charging, but you might need backlight at night, which might suck more power than normal.

Yes you can, but normally you need a cable that only charges, so not a data cable. This is typically achieved by using what is called a "USB condom", you can buy one for a few quid on Ebay
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Did this recently on a very long ride.

Bought a little power pack from Wilkos for 6 quid.

When the Garmin charge started getting low I taped the power pack to my stem and plugged a short cable into the Garmin.

An hour down the road the Garmin was pretty much up to full charge and I took the power pack off.
  • pilot_pete
    Great stuff thanks guys. I’ve ordered a power pack and a usb condom (never thought I’d say that!)

PP
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    When I did 400 and 600 Audax rides, I found that charging when you stop to eat is a better way of doing it than riding with a cable sticking out of your Garmin. They generally charge quickly and it's likely a 30 minute stop half the way will be all the charge you are going to need (if you need any)
    left the forum March 2023
  • pilot_pete
    I was thinking that Ugo - I could just take a mobile phone charger, you know the travel ones where the ‘third prong’ slides into the body to make it more compact?

Problem is I’m not sure all the cafes are allowing you to sit in - I know at least one planned stop is take away only....

PP