Internal brake cables...something inside stopping the hose

I am (was?) in the process of switching over my internally routed disc brakes on my cross bike. They are internal so I spent the money to get a magnetic internal routing kit. The old cable came out fine with the magnetic attached leaving me with part of the tool running through the frame, all good. When I go to insert the new thread from the other direction that was something preventing the hose from going through and I, unfortunately, pulled hard enough for the magnet to lose its connection. So now I have no way of getting the hose through the frame. Whats more, there seems to be something in the frame, when I try and thread the hose through the chainstay it get's about 2-3 inches in (so not as far as the bottom bracket area) and seems to hit a slightly squishy wall, no progress. Threading the magnetic tool the other way hits the same spot and refuses to go any further. I can insert a skewer in from the chainstay end and it seems to hit the same, slightly squishy yet immovable object blocking the path of the hose. I am at a bit of a loss, has anyone else had something similar?

And I was being so careful and even bought the correct tool :'(

Is it frame over?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    It might have something like this inside the tube, which was previously around the hose: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-internal-routing-anti-vibration-foam

Are you able to reach in with something like a spoke to see if you can pull/push the blockage out of the way?
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Turns out it was something similar. There is some foam pipping that got rucked up. I had to remove the BB (Push fit, so hopefully goes back squeek free) and use a USB endoscopic camera to see what was going on.

Now I am not sure what to do, should i put it back in to stop vibrations or leave it out for simplicity.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    You probably want it around the brake hose inside the frame to stop it rattling against the inside of the frame.thats probably where it came from and the pulling out of the old hose left it in there.

PP