How much faster would I be?

Hello everyone, I am new here :) I've been cycling for some time now and finally decided I want to buy a road bike.

About me:
Sex: Male
Height: 194 cm
Weight: 85 kg

Currently, I am riding on this approximately 15 years old Merida MTB, it weights around 15kg, the bike has not been serviced very much but is in good shape otherwise, the front fork is locked and it has road tires.

I will post some pictures of the bike as well as some stats from my latest Strava ride.
How much faster I would be on an entry-level road bike, something like Focus Izlaco, Fuji SL or something like that in around 1200 GBP bracket.

Cheers :)

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    30 minutes...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    singleton said:

30 minutes...

+1...

by which I mean 31 minutes
    left the forum March 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    £1200 for a bike is rather more than an entry level bike.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    webboo said:

That was my thoughts but maybe I'm a bit Yorkshire.
  • I know I'd be happy to average ~15mph on a hilly route (60+ feet per mile) on my ~14Kg fatbike, although I suspect that leave me wrecked the next day. Not tried doing anything like a 40 mile ride on it since at least 2018 and those wide tyres add so much more rolling resistance compared to road tyres.

On similar hill ratio routes, I did my first two sub 4-hour 100Km rides in June and July, averaging ~17mph and not feeling too bad the next day, although my legs were screaming when I got back from South Harting two Sundays back having chased and beaten my best time up the "Turkey Island" climb.

On the same hilly ~40 mile route, time difference could easily be 30mins+.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If the bike rewards effort, that is to say what you put in results in more forward motion, rather than being wasted by rubbish components and the bike bouncing up and down, rather than moving forward, you’ll normally find yourself going quicker. Firstly because most of your effort will end up propelling the bike forward, and secondly because you’ll find you put in a bigger shift, because it’s obviously not a wasted effort. at the 1200 quid mark, you’ll be into reasonable sportive territory, not entry level, and you’ll start seeing more reward for your effort.
  • webboo said:

Unluckily for me, from where I am from (Slovenia), these bikes are sold for much less competitive prices and the used market is not full of bargains either.
  • If the bike rewards effort, that is to say what you put in results in more forward motion, rather than being wasted by rubbish components and the bike bouncing up and down, rather than moving forward, you’ll normally find yourself going quicker. Firstly because most of your effort will end up propelling the bike forward, and secondly because you’ll find you put in a bigger shift, because it’s obviously not a wasted effort. at the 1200 quid mark, you’ll be into reasonable sportive territory, not entry level, and you’ll start seeing more reward for your effort.

Thank you, what would be your guess in percentages?

Thank you, what would be your guess in percentages?
    It depends on the exact choice of kit, but 20 percent wouldn’t be a bad guess I think.

• webboo
    And what are basing 20% on. Just some random number you thought of.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited August 2020

If the bike rewards effort, that is to say what you put in results in more forward motion, rather than being wasted by rubbish components and the bike bouncing up and down, rather than moving forward, you’ll normally find yourself going quicker. Firstly because most of your effort will end up propelling the bike forward, and secondly because you’ll find you put in a bigger shift, because it’s obviously not a wasted effort. at the 1200 quid mark, you’ll be into reasonable sportive territory, not entry level, and you’ll start seeing more reward for your effort.

Fair play Nick - you don't disappoint. I always click on your posts expecting to read utter bullshite - and you never let me down....
  • imposter2.0
    the clown show continues...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,023
    My sensible answer would be "quite a bit". How big your bit is depends on a lot of things.

Overall I think you'll find a road bike much easier and enjoyable to ride on smooth roads, if they're pot hole heaven then you may be better on what you already have.

The main thing is you'll find riding much easier and responsive on a true road bike.

But, if you get a red one I'd say at least 30.65% faster on a Wednesday.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • It depends how good the road tyres are that you have on your existing bike.
    25 parsecs
  • webboo said:

I’m basing it on my personal experience of going from a reasonable sportive bike, to a state of the art super bike, on the same course in similar conditions. I do record a lot of data, and 20 percent would be a conservative estimate, for me anyway.
  • webboo said:

I’m basing it on my personal experience of going from a reasonable sportive bike, to a state of the art super bike, on the same course in similar conditions. I do record a lot of data, and 20 percent would be a conservative estimate, for me anyway.
    If by "conservative" you mean "lying boris johnson conservative", then maybe.
    But if you use two GPS units so you go twice as far? no, i don't think so.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited August 2020

A quick cigarette packet calculation I’ve just done, based on Normalized power figures gave me a 73% Improvement, just by having a much better bike. It’s horses for courses though. There are a lot of parameters to consider.

• webboo
    Would your super bike be a Bianchinesecopy be everything else about you is fake.
  • imposter2.0

A quick cigarette packet calculation I’ve just done, based on Normalized power figures gave me a 73% Improvement, just by having a much better bike. It’s horses for courses though. There are a lot of parameters to consider.

73% increase in bullshiit quota is quite impressive - even for a walt like you :lol:
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited August 2020
    webboo said:

Would your super bike be a Bianchinesecopy be everything else about you is fake.

If it is, it’s a bloody good one. They’ve even managed to blag the QR code under the frame that gives all the build details.

• If by "conservative" you mean "lying boris johnson conservative", then maybe.

73% increase in bullshiit quota is quite impressive - even for a walt like you :lol:
    I’d love to put you firmly in your place about that “Walt” comment, but there aren’t enough hours in the day, or days in my life, to bother with it to be fair.

• webboo
    Hours spent gaining experience to comment on the performance plateau thread. The nearest you’ve been to a competitive event is the Tour de Weatherspoons.
  • imposter2.0

I’d love to put you firmly in your place about that “Walt” comment, but there aren’t enough hours in the day, or days in my life, to bother with it to be fair.

"Firmly in my place" - you mean like resorting to violence or something? Coming up for your 11th forum ban, I think...
  • webboo said:

Hours spent gaining experience to comment on the performance plateau thread. The nearest you’ve been to a competitive event is the Tour de Weatherspoons.

Yep, that is bang on.

• If by "conservative" you mean "lying boris johnson conservative", then maybe.

"Firmly in my place" - you mean like resorting to violence or something? Coming up for your 11th forum ban, I think...
    Really no. I don’t do violence.
  • imposter2.0

Really no. I don’t do violence.
    But you're always threatening it though, aren't you? That's what trolls do...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    What silly little fishes you are.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.