Road...selling advice?

So, although I totally adhere to the 'n+1' philosophy, a recent naughty moment at Sigma Sports and the COVID situation making my London bike redundant have meant I'm left with...
...too many bikes.

I have:
- New road bike (Tarmac SL6)
- Old steelie (531 from my teenage years - I will never sell it)
- Winter road bike (foolishly not gravel/Cx compliant)
- (now redundant) Cinelli Saetta, all fine but no longer needed, really (piccy hopefully below).

I could:
1) keep the Cinelli and use it as the Turbo bike, a role currently being done by the winter bike
2) Sell the Cinelli...and use the space for a gravel bike
3) Sell the Cinelli...and use the winter bike as gravel (would need new frame)
4) Sell, and build a hack gravel/CX bike out of new frame plus assorted bits lying around.

Dilemma 101.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• If you have the funds, make room for something like the new Boardman ADV 8.9, nothing I'm aware of comes close to its spec for £1k (less 10% if you have BC membership).

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adventure-bikes/boardman-adv-8.9-mens-adventure-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-389606.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Yep agree with @oxoman. Get rid of the Cinelli and buy a nice gravel/adventure frame and build that up. You'll get double the enjoyment - firstly from the build process then from riding road and or gravel with big bouncy tyres. On One Free Ranger could be a good choice.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOFR/on-one-free-ranger-frameset

Can be built up 1 x or 2 x drivetrain. Takes 700c or 650b wheelsets and up to 50mm tyres. Fill your boots
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Yeah, OK, but what's the Cinelli worth? I chucked it on Flea Bay and it reached £350, but then buyer disappeared

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    edited August 2020
    I'd thought 2nd hand bikes were going for good money at the moment, and the Saetta is a nice bike, so surprised it hasn't gone for more on the well known auction site...
    I have similar dilemmas but never seem to do anything about reducing the stable. One of the frustrations is the mix of wheel standards between bikes, etc.
    That Boardman looks good
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    You said you had too many bikes, but your options all seem to end with the same number as you have now...
    I.e. sell the Cinelli and buy / build something else.... :smiley:
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Yep, sounds like the OP just wants a gravel bike but needs to make room. I'd suggest trying to sell on the finally and the winter bike (or at least plan to) and buy a suitable steed in whatever budget you have. Just get one you can double up the duty with guards and you have your winter bike again.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    singleton said:

You said you had too many bikes, but your options all seem to end with the same number as you have now...
    I.e. sell the Cinelli and buy / build something else.... :smiley:

you got me - the issue is that I don't use the Cinelli
    I have thought about moving all the Winter bike kit onto a gravel frame and getting rid of the frame - should have bought a gravel bike to start with!

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

If you have the funds, make room for something like the new Boardman ADV 8.9, nothing I'm aware of comes close to its spec for £1k (less 10% if you have BC membership).

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adventure-bikes/boardman-adv-8.9-mens-adventure-bike-2021---s-m-l-xl-frames-389606.html

Be prepared to replace the chainset fairly quickly . The FSA Omega is rubbish. The GRX replacement is about £100.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Dump the Cinelli and the winter bike. Get a Gravel bike with a spare set of wheels (one gravel tyres one road), and bobs your mothers brother.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    Don't sell anything, just buy yourself a gravel bike. There. Said it. :) Get a nice frame that can take big tyres and crack on.

I've just built up a 2019 Fugio frame with 1x GRX, a dropper and 650b/27.5 wheels and 2.25" rubber. Its a hoot.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,609
    mrfpb said:

If you have the funds, make room for something like the new Boardman ADV 8.9, nothing I'm aware of comes close to its spec for £1k (less 10% if you have BC membership).

Be prepared to replace the chainset fairly quickly . The FSA Omega is rubbish. The GRX replacement is about £100.
    What are Boardman adv frames like? Looking at this gravel option, ok upgrade the chainset noted. It has Shimano GRX cassette. Can't see a bike weight on the spec, for comparison with my n, n-1, etc. I'd look to swop out the wheels for e.g. Malcolm's Borg22 32 spoke. So c £1500 total.

Given I'm heavy 100kg+ I reckon I'd trash std wheels on whatever basic off shelf option I'm looking at. Example Cannondale Topstone alu 105 (2020 model) is listed (unavailable) at £1500, expect 21 model to be more. Then I'd need to change the wheels anyway, upping the total cost.

So if the Boardman frame is ok for general gravel messing about plus it has the std Shimano components, seems a fair priced option. Any views?
  • sell the lot excepts the tarmac, then spend it on a hot bub and hookers.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    I think at present you would struggle to buy a Boardman Adv. They are out of stock on line. My local Halfords has hardly have any bikes at all in store. They say they go out as soon as delivered. Some on EBay at the moment.
  • orraloon
    Yeah. Aware of stock shortages. I have logged an interest online for a 2021 model when they come available, but who knows what the stock levels will be like.

As an aside, I put in an online order for a Carrera MTB for my daughter, nothing in store of course, and within 10 days I've taken delivery. So the frames are there, somewhere..
  • orraloon
    A wee update. Decided to keep a watching eye on availability for the 2021 Boardman ADV 8.9 as discussed above. There's been nothing. Except last night it came up as available... gone for it, due to arrive end of next week. 👍 Think it's a good value for money punt including future wheel and chainset upgrades. And it's c 5kg lighter than the steel road tourer I've semi converted to gravel this summer.
  • orraloon said:

A wee update. Decided to keep a watching eye on availability for the 2021 Boardman ADV 8.9 as discussed above. There's been nothing. Except last night it came up as available... gone for it, due to arrive end of next week. 👍 Think it's a good value for money punt including future wheel and chainset upgrades. And it's c 5kg lighter than the steel road tourer I've semi converted to gravel this summer.

Hi, how do you find Boardman ADV8.90 (2021)? What size did u get? How it goes on a road and off? I'm currently looking for my first gravel bike and boardman ADV 8.9 looks a decent choice for the price. The only thing i cannot understand is colour, on official site it looks black and white but in store it looked like black and pink. Strange But i may be ok with it if the bike is decent overall. Thanks