Newbie looking to buy first road bike

Hi all,

I'm new to road cycling, I'm looking to purchase a new bike through C2W. I'm Looking at the Boardman SLR 8.9 carbon. Currently I have a spesalized sector that was given to me that is several years old.

Don't know if the Boardman is going to be a good for a first road bike and what size tyres I can put on this for winter riding.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Comments

• Yes, I'm sure it'll be a great bike, very useful for winter riding that it takes mudguards.

Looks like it takes 28mm tyres though may be limited to 25mm with mudguards fitted.

Service from Halfords can be hit or miss depending on the store. The Boardman website gives sizing advice to check which should work for most people.
  • I think they're fantastic and am waiting for the stock to arrive. Pretty much the only carbon rim brake frame that takes proper mudguards. If you're new to this then it's perfect as it makes a great winter bike when you get the bug and buy something bling for the summer.

Massive proviso though in that is it's if you want rim brakes. If you're not odd like me and are like the rest of the world and want disc then you've a million options of road bikes with proper guards so ignore this.

Out of interest, does your company have the "right" scheme as Halfords are fussy and only take their own. Tredz (part of the Halfords group) are less fussy but it's less certain what stock of Boardmans they'll get.
  • I think they're fantastic and am waiting for the stock to arrive. Pretty much the only carbon rim brake frame that takes proper mudguards. If you're new to this then it's perfect as it makes a great winter bike when you get the bug and buy something bling for the summer.

Massive proviso though in that is it's if you want rim brakes. If you're not odd like me and are like the rest of the world and want disc then you've a million options of road bikes with proper guards so ignore this.

Out of interest, does your company have the "right" scheme as Halfords are fussy and only take their own. Tredz (part of the Halfords group) are less fussy but it's less certain what stock of Boardmans they'll get.

Regarding work, my wife works for NHS and Halfords is listed on the portal