Identifying a vintage bike

Hi. I've recently acquired a very old ladies bike which my local bike shop Guy has dated to around 1910 (based on the wheels - hookless 28 inches, I think he called them Westworlds?) The bike has some Dutch components - bell and saddle (Fongers Hygienisch of the cropped variety) and some English parts - the aforementioned wheels, pedals and handgrips. There is evidence of red paint, but it is currently sporting a very well laid coat of khaki - likely paint-gun applied as there is no evidence of brush strokes. Handlebars are also khaki but the original chrome is showing through. I'm wondering if it might have been impressed into army service at some time. Bike is equipped with rat-trap style rear carrier with leather panniers. An engraving at the bottom of the frame says this: "WA - M.T Mennr 1-3-14" A number is stamped at the top of seat post: 22536. Tyres are of a cheap Chinese type so no clues from them...Front mudguard has a small chrome frontpiece. No discernible makers mark on cranks/cog. Strangely enough for a bike of this era there is no chain guard fitted. Some of the frame is bolted as opposed to welded. Any ideas, anyone? I'm fascinated by this thing! Rides well, all I had to do was put some air in the tyres and fix the bell. Have lubricated without any dismantling and will preserve in an as-is basis. Will post pictures ASAP.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Photos please
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Nice... I wonder if 1.3.14 is the date the frame was built... you know, in the days it only took one day to build a frame, unlike now, when posh bespoke frame builders spend two weeks on a frame and charge accordingly
    left the forum March 2023
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Apparently the Nazis stole 'all' the Dutch bikes towards the end of WW2 fleeing from the Allies. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard of chants at football matches, between the Netherlands and Germany, along the lines that they want their bikes back. Maybe the bike has more history than you think?
  • I've found a frame number, but don't have a brand. Does it look like any particular company's work?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535

Nice... I wonder if 1.3.14 is the date the frame was built... you know, in the days it only took one day to build a frame, unlike now, when posh bespoke frame builders spend two weeks on a frame and charge accordingly

a search on Google images for "Fongers Hygienisch" shows an identical(?) saddle dating it as c.1910 so the above sounds very plausible
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535

I've found a frame number, but don't have a brand. Does it look like any particular company's work?

https://fongers.net/rijwielen/

Looks like Fongers made the bikes too. The "dating" section of the website explains how to translate serial No. to a date.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    The hubs might have a date stamp on them too.