Bora Advice

Was wondering if slightly used Bora Ultra 50 tubular would be a better purchase than new WTO 45 clinchers? I'd be coming from Vento's and off brand carbon tubulars so I'm sure either would be a good upgrade.

The used ultra's are the exact same price as the new WTO 45 so I'd get the better bearings without the huge price premium.

Complete weekend warrior, there are good climbs on the route. I assume the 5mm difference won't make a difference with crosswinds?

I guess by 'better' I mean would I actually notice a difference riding. If not I'll go for the 45s with a warranty.

Comments

• The second hand wheels will have big CAMPAGNOLO BORA ULTRA 50 logos. This beats the new WTO hands down!

On a serious level - Ultra 35s and 50s are superb wheels and the latter is absolutely fine on a climb. Valverde road them on all terrain!

I ride Ultra 35 tubs myself (Dark Label) but I still fancy a set of 50s.

Oh and the braking is as good as it gets for carbon. It’s astonishing!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited August 2020
    I think the benefits of ceramic bearings are over played and don't justify the extra cost. Other than that I think they're both highly rated wheelsets and it's down to if you want tubs or clinchers.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    As a weekend warrior, you should stay away from tubulars. They are tyres for racing, not for club rides.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Why. Tubs are fine. Got many bikes with them. Just be sure to strap a spare tube pre glued under the saddle.

Dugast tubs are my current favourites. Got them on three bikes now. Plush does not fully describe the ride.

Should I go with tubular wheel or clinchers is more about which type of tyre you prefer. One you can get cheap tyres a d of course they are jank from the other the cheap tyres are still jank but the good ones are quite expensive.

If £70 a tyre is your thing then tubs are the ones you'll love. You may also like the ritual of gluing tubular. It is a ritual and if you like the ritual there's no substitute.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited August 2020

Why. Tubs are fine. Got many bikes with them. Just be sure to strap a spare tube pre glued under the saddle.

Being one of your followers on Strava, I would say that tubs and tubeless are giving you quite a lot of grief... :)

Besides, you get them at trade price, most people pay RRP for them

Tubulars are fine if you ride on main roads or well maintained roads... they are not suitable if you ride on lanes. The marginal performance boost can be matched by using good quality clinchers and inner tubes, without all the faff of glueing/taping... not to speak about tyre repairs.
    I rode tubulars for one year... it was one year wasted, in terms of cycling

• steph79
    steph79 Posts: 21
    I've been riding tubular for the past 2 years, they're really nice but that probably comes down the the tyres I put on them. They haven't rolled off yet so I guess I glued them alright, didn't mind that process at all. I haven't had to experience a flat yet though.

It the difference in the bearings between WTO and Ultra is pretty minimal I'll probably just stick with he WTO and give the business to the LBS. Nice guy there.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I've ridden tubulars around the lanes of Exmoor for 70,000 odd miles without any issues.

I do have a secret however, I ride on Clement Strada LGG's, which are a tubeless tubular (like Tufo's but a much better tyre) these beauties just don't cut up at all, and are very hard to puncture.

And if you do get a puncture, the sealant works as it would in a tubeless clincher without the mess and hassle of tight tyres etc. Worst happens you use a plug, I've never had to do that.
  • Agreed.

It’s 2020. There’s absolutely no need to ride tubs with a spare strapped to your bike. Tufo Extreme and a couple of Co2 canisters. Job done.

I’ve raced and trained in all weathers on six different tubular wheelsets and I’ve had two tub flats in seven years. Both were fixed with sealant then the tyres were ridden until the tread had gone.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    And of course tubulars are a much safer option in the rare case of a high speed descending blow-out. Yep, it's something that might never happen or only ever happen to you once, but if it did happen I'd much rather have my tyre glued to my rim.
  • I think the benefit of the WTO's is a wider profile and therefore you can run wider tyres i.e. 28mm at lower pressures and be more comfortable and faster.

I have Bora 50 Ultra's and they do take the wind. But then they aren't for the wet and wild days.

And yes the braking is exceptional for carbon.
  • steph79
    steph79 Posts: 21

I think the benefit of the WTO's is a wider profile and therefore you can run wider tyres i.e. 28mm at lower pressures and be more comfortable and faster.

I have Bora 50 Ultra's and they do take the wind. But then they aren't for the wet and wild days.

And yes the braking is exceptional for carbon.

I hadn't considered the width actually, that's a good point. Getting them for a new frame that's rated for 28mm so that would be perfect.
  • The Bora 35/50s are optimised to take 25 to 28mm tyres.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited August 2020

I’ve raced and trained in all weathers on six different tubular wheelsets and I’ve had two tub flats in seven years.

That's the same as Malcom (above) has in 7 weeks... :D