Super strata bikes

Not sure what to make of it. 3d, custom printed, carbon fibre bolides. Kickstarter project which seems to have taken off m8ghtioy.mightily

Not sure how long the frame will survive as the design is somewhat left field.

What thoughts does everybody have?

Not a Giro Hero!

Comments

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    With no seat tube there's gonna be a lot of stress at the drop outs where the seat and chain stays meet!
  • My thoughts exactly.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696
    edited July 2020
    Looks nice, but I can't see anywhere for your water bottle to go
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Kestrel used to make frames like that in the 90s. Beam bikes were also a thing.

So the lack of a seat tube isn't the issue with this one.

Not new technology in any case, just hasn't been used in bikes, probably for good reasons. Resulting material similar grade to injection molded CF composite - i.e. what you get in mid-level shoes. Hence a 3lb frame weight, which is a bit 2003.

The only USP is that it is infinitely customisable in geometry. Not sure that's enough to make it worthwhile though.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Kestrel used to make frames like that in the 90s. Beam bikes were also a thing.

So the lack of a seat tube isn't the issue with this one.

Not new technology in any case, just hasn't been used in bikes, probably for good reasons. Resulting material similar grade to injection molded CF composite - i.e. what you get in mid-level shoes. Hence a 3lb frame weight, which is a bit 2003.

The only USP is that it is infinitely customisable in geometry. Not sure that's enough to make it worthwhile though.

You don't think the lack of seat tube will lead to huge stresses on the chain/seat stay junction? The thing looks like a giant spring to me.