Bar tape

I'm looking to replace the bar tape on one of my bikes. I have 2 Supersix's, one is standard and the other is a EVO Hi-Mod with carbon stem/bars and 55mm carbon rims. The problem I find with the later is that my palm ache after say 25 miles on the same route verses the other bike, they have both been fitted to me.

Is there any recommendation for bar tape that is more absorbing and how difficult is tape to fit.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    There will be sections of the old tape unworn. Run this along the contact points before wrapping with gel tape. Buy better mitts, let some air out of the front tyre.
  • nick67
    nick67 Posts: 111
    Thanks for the replies

Yes I had seen that other thread but makes no mention about cushioning
    Mitts are well padded

Letting air out of the front might be the solution, what pressure would anyone recommend, have been running 110 back and front on both bikes, GP 5000 tyres
  • pblakeney
    nick67 said:

Letting air out of the front might be the solution, what pressure would anyone recommend, have been running 110 back and front on both bikes, GP 5000 tyres

Depends on your weight and tyre section.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • nick67
    Thanks I'll try 100 and see how it goes
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    100 is a lot if you're talking 23mm tyres and you aren't heavy, that's what you'd need if you were say 95kg.
    I always work that if using 90 in a 23mm then 80 in a 25mm is about right too, less pressure needed in a fatter tyre.
  • nick67
    mfin said:

100 is a lot if you're talking 23mm tyres and you aren't heavy, that's what you'd need if you were say 95kg.
    I always work that if using 90 in a 23mm then 80 in a 25mm is about right too, less pressure needed in a fatter tyre.

Is that for both back and front?
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2020
    nick67 said:

mfin said:

Is that for both back and front?
    I normally go for the same, and once I disconnect the pump head I might let a quick blip out of the front.

(The graph link posted above isn't far out, for me I'd say it's a bit over-pressured, by up to 10psi where I'm looking for 23s and 25s, it's always personal preference. Unless someone is really quite heavy then alarm bells ring at 100psi and 110psi even more so, all it does is make the ride uncomfortable)