Light set with 1 battery

Hi,

I'm struggling to find a front and rear light that runs from 1 rechargeable battery pack. Just charge the 1 battery in the evening and you know you're set the next day.

Surely this exists somewhere - any pointers?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    You can do this with some Exposure lights, though they aren't cheap. The front lights can have a smart port on them, which can be used for a remote, but can also be used to run a rear light from the battery of the front light.
  • Thanks. I've just looked - you're right - they aren't cheap :)

I don't understand why manufactures aren't doing this. I suppose the alternative is to find front and rear lights that run from USB (and don't turn off while charging), and have a USB power block mounted somewhere.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    I suspect part of the problem is cabling - to do this neatly you need to run cables inside the frame.

Dynamo lights are often set up that way from necessity, and some have a cache battery, so dynamo light suppliers might be the best place to look other than exposure.

I have a pair of Cateye lights which use the same batteries on the front and rear, which lets me carry a single spare battery that can be used in either light. (Volt 300 + Volt 50.) Unfortunately they don't make them any more.
  • You can do this with Hope lights too. I have been running a Hope R4+ front and a district rear off one 4-cell battery for my winter commute set up for a few years. I strap the battery to the rear of the seat tube and run the cable (including a splitter) externally. It's a robust set up but not that cheap. I commute 25 miles each way on mainly unlit country lanes so require a decent front light to see.
    I'm not sure a cheap decent set up like this exists. I've been there with cheap cree front lights etc and the battery life (not to mention the weight) is woeful.

I'm about to change to a dynamo set up for this winter. I'll still have to run the cables externally but they are much smaller and I won't have a battery pack strapped to the frame or have the faff of making sure it's charged.
  • shiz
    shiz Posts: 19
    If you are more concerned about being seen, then I would recommend the Zecto Drive Leyzene lights. Easy to recharge, light, practical.

If you need to light up your own way in the pitch dark, then you'll need something more powerful. You can look at the dynamo hub set up, or make do with big battery packs.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599

You can do this with Hope lights too. I have been running a Hope R4+ front and a district rear off one 4-cell battery for my winter commute set up for a few years. I strap the battery to the rear of the seat tube and run the cable (including a splitter) externally. It's a robust set up but not that cheap. .....

I have similar set up on my Mason Bokeh bike. Cables are routed internally and I've installed 2cell battery pack into a fabric cagelless tool keg on the 3rd bottle mount on underside... Best set up again really robust decent to see light set up, the initial outlay bit expensive but best value for money/quality/lumens/spare/extra parts eg additional batteries or charger, best mounting system. Out of all the lights I've got as thus far this is best all round setup.

I too nearly went for dymano set up but that worked out more expensive (Son deluxe hub with supanova 3 plus charging circuit) and wasn't sure how much of an effective the hub would have on speed (granted minimal) or feel of magnets in the hub. Plus was tempted with different wheelsets, eg winter/off rd 650b as well as the 700c currently fitted and my only set. Finally I wasn't sure about the brightness of them, I get it's about the lenses and beam patterns etc but again the Hope R4 has more lumens then most dymano lights...

You'll have to let me know how your dymano set up compared to the Hope set up.

• Thanks @andyh01. I get what you mean about the lumens on offer from the Hope lights. I'm yet to buy the dynamo set up but have found this link useful in coming up with a short list of dynamo front lights at least.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

Hopefully others may find this useful as well.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I bought a set last year, from Magicshine - https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/magic-shine-combo-led-mj-902/137130898/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=8503476&country=uk&gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQnoNZwIlBuk-yfAiFKPIggvJDWymPRvGGcSbMNYtDDCqOegx6384XRoC5JgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

it says they are now unavailable, and I paid about half that so I was very happy with it.

There are lots of bargain CREE lights on ebay, might be able to find a front and rear combo there.
  • andyh01

Thanks @andyh01. I get what you mean about the lumens on offer from the Hope lights. I'm yet to buy the dynamo set up but have found this link useful in coming up with a short list of dynamo front lights at least.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

Hopefully others may find this useful as well.

Yes I was going to suggest that to you actually, when I was looking I came across it, still hi are to tell the beam patterns from the still photos though.
    Like I say, the optics has a lot to do with it and as you would be aware, a dynamo hub light setup, may on paper seem to have less lumens but have brighter "useable" light on the road. My other reservation was how the dynamo lights brightness can vary with speed (even with the "standby"/capacitor charge when stationery)

As I say to OP I think the Hope R4 plus the district rear light is the best value light that's serving me well
  • andyh01
    Just another option is Lumicycle they do some good packages. It's where I got the Idea of installing the battery in to a tool keg/water bottle. Again though more expensive than the Hope set up but various brightness/beam pattern and battery pack options depending on your needs/requirements eg on or off road flood or spot lights etc