Saris M2 trainer tension ( clutch wheel ) and roller issues

Not sure if anyone can help. I got a Saris M2 trainer a couple of months ago. At first the clutch wheel didn’t click at all and I had to guess what tension to apply. Then the retailer sent me a replacement wheel which does click. They took it off another Saris model but it looks the same. At the same time I also got a trainer tyre. I had ordered the Saris one but the stock ran out and took a Continental as a substitute.

The clutch wheel does not click until the tyre is about 1/3 compressed and the indent is as deep as the tyre wall. I’m also now getting a groove in the roller which I didn’t get before. Tyre is at maximum 120psi.

I have the option to return the trainer but I’m reluctant to do that because I can’t quickly get another and I don’t actually know if anything is wrong or not. The retailer hasn’t been that helpful and I’ve also raised it with Saris but they never respond.

The tyre also wears quite strangely and I initially had rubber marbles on my mat (a bit like Formula 1 but smaller!). I think it is quite noisy.

I've heard of others having initial issues with the wheel not clicking but nobody with so much pressure on the tyre or such a significant marking on the roller.

So my questions are:

1. Is the pressure from the roller on the tyre normal? See photo.
2. Is it normal for the roller to get a groove like this? See photo.
3. Would I have been better with the Saris tyre? Is this tyre performing as expected?
4. Is the yellow clutch wheel the same on all models?
5. Is 120 psi correct? With lower pressure it will just indent more.
6. Is it normal on calibration for the last "coast" part to only take about 2 seconds (If I use the Rouvy app it takes about 2.something seconds)?

I really appreciate any help! Thanks.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,147
    Is the Saris M2 basically the same as the Cyclops M2? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQJyanxCPwo

I've no experience with that particular trainer, but that tension looks way too high to me. The groove in the roller doesn't look right at all - I've got a "line" on my turbo after a few months but it's not a groove.
  • macneill72i71bYfzG
    edited April 2021
    I have the same trainer...thought it was bizarre as hell to deflect that much tire. BUT, according to my research, we are good. I use the Rouvy calibration. I understand from my reading that Saris knows the calibration is broke with Zwift.
    I run 120psi and yes I get a wear track but not the deep groove you have. I do see that your flywheel is black and mine is silver, so not sure if that’s a mid model change or not

Just remember to let off the pressure when your done. I have popped a tube/tire and broke a spoke. But have had no other issues since then. I try to remember to loosen the tension before I take off my shoes.

Hope this helps.
    MARTIAN