How to avoid Garmin Connect

2»

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    fenix said:

What's the best route planner out there for garmin now ?

I liked their popularity function - it meant you didn't choose a road that nobody else has done because it's usually not a passable path...

Strava's route creator - you can choose surface, see the heat maps overlaid on roads etc.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Agree, Strava is good
    left the forum March 2023
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    fenix said:

I use RidewithGPS and have done for years.

• ugo.santalucia
    wongataa said:

fenix said:

It's OK but editing existing routes is a pay for feature I believe?
  • Dorset_Boy
    wongataa said:

fenix said:

RidewithGPS loves adding in off road sections, even when you ask it to stay on the road. It did just that over the weekend, yet again, on a club ride route.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Strava routes is subscription only too I think ?

Anything for cheapskates ?
  • I've had the same issue with the computer recognising my Edge 1000. The other option is to save your activities to the memory card (if you have one) on the device rather than to internal memory. That way you can use a memory card reader rather than a cable to the device. It will obviously only work for new activities as I don't think that you can transfer old activities over to the memory card using the device.
  • wongataa

wongataa said:

fenix said:

It's OK but editing existing routes is a pay for feature I believe?
    I don't know. I pay for it so I am not sure which bits are available for free.
  • wongataa

wongataa said:

fenix said:

RidewithGPS loves adding in off road sections, even when you ask it to stay on the road. It did just that over the weekend, yet again, on a club ride route.
    This sort of thing can happen to any route planner. You should always double check the route to make sure it goes where you want it to. Often the issue is down to the underlying map data which the route planner can't do much about. If you use the OSM maps you can correct errors yourself but it usually takes a while for corrections to filter through to the route planners, not just RwGPS.
  • s_j_pwmb
    s_j_pwmb Posts: 75
    fenix said:

Strava routes is subscription only too I think ?

Anything for cheapskates ?

I like Komoot and it’s free for your local area. Until the latest Strava heatmap routing I used Komoot exclusively, and still go back to it when I want a direct route. It’s great at showing the road surface type along the route too.
  • Dorset_Boy
    wongataa said:

wongataa said:

fenix said:

This sort of thing can happen to any route planner. You should always double check the route to make sure it goes where you want it to. Often the issue is down to the underlying map data which the route planner can't do much about. If you use the OSM maps you can correct errors yourself but it usually takes a while for corrections to filter through to the route planners, not just RwGPS.
    In my experience of using both Strava's route planner and RWGPS regularly over the last couple of years, it is a very, very rare occurance with Strava, but quite a common one with RWGPS.

It's not always possible (time wise) to check a 100 km route, but as a club we use RWGPS for group rides as it is free to share routes, whereas you have to be a Premium Strava member to be able to receive shared routes.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Garmin Connect seem to be working again BTW.

It took two syncs to download everything from my watch to my phone, and previous data shows up despite there still being a "server down for maintenance" message in the app.

No idea if automatic Strava uploads are working again yet - I did all my activities manually.
  • ugo.santalucia

Garmin Connect seem to be working again BTW.

It took two syncs to download everything from my watch to my phone, and previous data shows up despite there still being a "server down for maintenance" message in the app.

No idea if automatic Strava uploads are working again yet - I did all my activities manually.

yep, same here
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    I have had the same issue with USB cables. Digging into it there are two types of USB cable charging and data/charging. I bought a Garmin830 last year, threw the cable somewhere in the big cable bin ..... never found it again. More annoying is being on holiday and then being able to put them into the Garmin.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Garmin elevation data is totally rubbish I always correct it with Strava own, my 810 was spot on my 820 is shocking it’s also going back because the battery is lame, with everything pretty much turned off I’m lucky if it’ll last 4 hours
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin said:

Garmin elevation data is totally rubbish I always correct it with Strava own, my 810 was spot on my 820 is shocking it’s also going back because the battery is lame, with everything pretty much turned off I’m lucky if it’ll last 4 hours

Well... I am not sure if Garmin is rubbish or Strava is rubbish... certainly Wahoo is rubbish, as you can easily rack up 3,000 feet of climbing in the Fens with that...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

itboffin said:

Well... I am not sure if Garmin is rubbish or Strava is rubbish... certainly Wahoo is rubbish, as you can easily rack up 3,000 feet of climbing in the Fens with that...
    Both my Elemnt Wahoo and ROAM have been totally reliable with elevation.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • wongataa
    People seem to complain about the elevation accuracy on all devices. I solve the problem by ignoring the elevation.
  • I’ve got a Garmin and it’s better than your Wahoo!

I’ve got a Wahoo and it’s better than your Garmin!

Repeat to infinity...
  • Only one of my SB cables works with my 530, and its not the cable the Edge came with. I use Plotaroute for route planning and Strava to see the most popular routes of where I'm going.
  • My Garmin uploads fine with a cable. You have to make it into.a mass storage devise first. With the 1030 that holding the lap.reset button when you plug it in and keep.it held in until.it boots up.as a mass storage devise. There are similar tricks for other Garmins.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Here's a link that suggests Garmin paid the ransom.

http://news.sky.com/story/garmin-paid-m ... s-12041468
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    I use a mixture of Komoot and Strava for route planning, but tending more towards Strava now as I've recently got a Garmin (delivered on the day of the hack, annoyingly enough) - and your starred routes in Strava automatically download onto the Edge whenever it syncs. I also found when riding routes created in Komoot that live segments didn't work, so hoping that when I try out a route from Strava route planner they will.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    What is the current state of connect? Went out today, and didn't send beacon text, didn't auto upload either. Went fine with wired. thanks all
  • ugo.santalucia
    50x11 said:

What is the current state of connect? Went out today, and didn't send beacon text, didn't auto upload either. Went fine with wired. thanks all

Seems fine... uploads readily from an Edge 530
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    50x11 said:

Working fine for me too on a 530.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Thanks for the replies, maybe it's my unit. It's an 520 plus.