HELP with 1991 Diamondback Ascent

Hi,

I'm new in bikeradar and wanted to get some help on converting my old bike frame.
I have a 1991 DB Ascent and wanted to convert it to a dropbar with brifters. I recently got hold of a Shimano Claris 2400 set (brifters, RD and FD). It also came with a FSA Gossamer Crankset (CKM-6100 and a Mega Exo BB). I also got Dia-Compe 986 cantilever brakes since the dual pivots won't fit my setup.

I had my LBS put in the parts and things were going great. Hit a bit of a snag installing the crankset as the BB needed a spacer so that my left arm won't hit the chainstays. But then one of the mechanics said that my spindle was too short. It was a road type and I needed an MTB one, he said. (I'm guessing this is because the BB was a 68mm and my BB shell on the frame was a 73mm).

Anyway while riding home, my left arm crank suddenly fell out. So I had to push my bike and walk home (LBS was already closed by the time I left them).

I wanted to know what would cause this? I'm guessing its because of my BB?

Should I replace my BB with a 73mm? Or would I need to replace the whole crankset?

If replacing my BB would be the solution, would any BB be compatible with the FSA cranks?

Thanks! (sorry, im such a noob).

The following photos are my old bike setup and the new one (still being rigged though).
As well as photos of the FSA crankset.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The spindle in the crankset is too short, it's designed to go on a 68 mm BB shell and that's the bottom line. So when you mount it, there is not enough purchase for the left crank, which inevitably falls off. You need a MTBike crankset or even better you could get hold of a square taper road chainset and install a square taper bottom bracket for 73 mm shells
    left the forum March 2023