Steerer crown race?

s_j_pwmb
s_j_pwmb Posts: 75
My headset has been getting progressively noisier and rougher so I’ve bought replacement bearings and today stripped the headset down to replace them.

When I removed the (corroded, pitted, and generally gummed-up lower bearing) I noted that there does not appear to be any crown race on the tapered carbon steerer 😱 This differs from every other headset I’ve dealt with.

Is it normal for the lower bearing to mate directly onto the steerer tube on a carbon steerer? Picture (of the cleaned) lower bearing loose on the steerer is attached. It’s a FSA type 42.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    My Cervelo has no crown race either
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,241
    Sign of the times... a lot of money for very poor engineering. That fork is not designed to hold a crown
    left the forum March 2023
  • s_j_pwmb
    Thanks for allaying my fears both. I shan’t worry that the bike was originally mis-built then!

Much as it pains me to slot the race directly onto the carbon, as there’s been no discernible damage thus far I shall continue in the same vein.
  • It’s increasingly common to
    find no crown race. It saves weight you see, it’s nothing to do with cutting costs ( honest)
  • s_j_pwmb said:

Thanks for allaying my fears both. I shan’t worry that the bike was originally mis-built then!

Much as it pains me to slot the race directly onto the carbon, as there’s been no discernible damage thus far I shall continue in the same vein.

With sealed cartridge type ACBs it’s not a problem.

• s_j_pwmb

It’s increasingly common to
    find no crown race. It saves weight you see, it’s nothing to do with cutting costs ( honest)

No other reason ever crossed my mind ..... 😉