Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Replacing chain rings

hi all.

Newbie here. I have a GT Zaskar and finally got round to replacing the chain to realise I need a new cassette. This done I had slipping which I have narrowed down to worn chain rings, unsurprisingly, im a weighty guy and its had a lot of use. However, I can find a replacement outer ring but have been searching for 2 days for the inner ring. Am I missing something? I can only find the pair with a whole new crank set for a fair bit of cash. Is this only how they come? I'm surprised that I cant just buy them as a pair.

I'm after Shimano SLX FCM675 10 Speed Double Chainrings but can only find the outer ring.

Its all a learning curve for me but enjoying learning to do my own maintenance, but I'm stumped.

TIA

Shaun.

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,237
    You should be able to pick up the individual chainrings new from ebay easily enough. Just make sure that bcd and tooth count match your old ones.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=shimano+slx+fc-m675+chainrings&_trksid=m5467.l1311&_odkw=shimano+slx+chainrings
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • starclassicstarclassic Posts: 2
    Sheesh.. what a muppet I am! How did i miss this! I literally searched everywhere but ebay! 🙈
    Thats great, thanks for the quick reply!

S.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,237
    I had similar issue searching by OEM crank set part number, if you know the individual chainring part number it's a lot easier to find.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,633
    edited 22 July
    You just need a chainring with a 64mm BCD.
    CRC have the 24T ring for £21 if you want to stick with Shimano.
    SJS Cycles have a 26T ring or a 28T ring for £15.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009