Corsa G+ came apart while riding

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited July 2020 in Road general
Luckily it happened going uphill, amazingly the tube stayed inflated.

The tread seemed to come away from the casing, and the tube pressure made the tyre bulge and deform. Happened with a bang, wheel sent a bit out of true as well.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If it had been a car, I would've said ,'remould'
    Remember them?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Look fairly new.
    I'd be contacting Vittoria to see if they are willing to help.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    Where did you buy it from as its them you have the contract with.
  • mfin
    edited July 2020
    I can't remember where I bought these from, I have a couple more spares than I bought from a forum member so I have a matching replacement ready to go. I'm not too bothered about chasing anyone for a free one.

It does make you wonder about a particular tyre though when that happens. That's was with 85psi in it. If it happened on a fast descent it wouldn't bare thinking about.
  • pblakeney
    I was thinking about the wheel as much as the tyre.
    Plus, tyre R&D. Want to stop this happening again.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    The wheel is only ever so slightly out of true. The 1st photo looks like a quite buckled wheel but it is the way the deformed tyre is sitting.
  • I'd definitely send that back to Vittoria as a safety/monitoring issue - this could highlight a manufacturing or QC problem that may need further investigation and/or correction. You were lucky...someone else might not be
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I had a similar issue. I noticed the tread was starting to separate from the carcass, but luckily before it got as bad as you experienced. I took it back to the shop, who then contacted Vittoria. Vittoria confirmed it was a manufacturing defect, and the shop replaced the tyres.
    The replacements have been fine, and I've got through quite a few of these tyres in the past without a problem. But yeh, I agree, a little disconcerting.
  • mfin

I'd definitely send that back to Vittoria as a safety/monitoring issue - this could highlight a manufacturing or QC problem that may need further investigation and/or correction. You were lucky...someone else might not be

I sent a photo to Vittoria in case they are interested.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    I love these tyres but this set will be my last, this seems to be a common problem with them! The pave`s were great and rubino controls are a good winter tyre but the corsa`s seem very fragile.
  • pblakeney
    You can still get Paves.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    This is a bit worrying as it's my go to tyre for the race bike. I realise it's likely to be a tiny proportion of their tyres but on such a safety critical item and one where I tend to think any of the major companies are within a gnats whisker of each other in terms of performance anyway it would put me off if this is more than a one off or near enough.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • spatt77

This is a bit worrying as it's my go to tyre for the race bike. I realise it's likely to be a tiny proportion of their tyres but on such a safety critical item and one where I tend to think any of the major companies are within a gnats whisker of each other in terms of performance anyway it would put me off if this is more than a one off or near enough.

I`m not that sure its a tiny proportion to be honest, its a real shame because in every other way they are a great tyre!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    edited July 2020
    You should have noticed cracking of the rubber thread before hand? I always inspect my tyres when I wash the bike, remove embedded flint and check for cracks... could be a storage issue... maybe they've been too cold/damp over the winter
    left the forum March 2023
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I had some Corsas which I really liked but they do seem very fragile.

I was thinking about getting some more for my best bike but seeing stuff like this really puts me off.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ibr17xvii said:

I was thinking about getting some more for my best bike but seeing stuff like this really puts me off.

The idea is to buy them in spring, use them over the summer and bin them in the autumn. The problem is when these tyres hang around for ages. They are not meant to do that... the glue starts cracking, the rubber starts cracking...
  • spatt77
    My mates have delaminated after 2 months use! me thinks its more of a Q/C problem!
  • mfin

You should have noticed cracking of the rubber thread before hand? I always inspect my tyres when I wash the bike, remove embedded flint and check for cracks... could be a storage issue... maybe they've been too cold/damp over the winter

Bike stored indoors, checked over plenty as it is kept very clean so often I am looking up close, didn't notice anything before hand.
  • mfin
    Vittoria replied quickly, pointed that it could be under warranty and that would mean taking it up with the shop. Receipt long gone. Vittoria didn't ask to be sent it to look at.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mfin said:

Bike stored indoors, checked over plenty as it is kept very clean so often I am looking up close, didn't notice anything before hand.
    Aren't the G+ the older model? What I am trying to say is that maybe they've been kicking around for some time before you bought them, maybe stored in a warehouse in damp conditions or something
  • ibr17xvii
    edited July 2020

ibr17xvii said:

The idea is to buy them in spring, use them over the summer and bin them in the autumn. The problem is when these tyres hang around for ages. They are not meant to do that... the glue starts cracking, the rubber starts cracking...

Which was exactly how I used them. Had them on the bike for 2 summers & then started to get punctures so binned them.

Nice tyres but certainly only for best & maybe not general use on UK (summer) roads.

I was thinking about trying some Corsa Control's as they have a wee bit more puncture protection, £45 each though :/
  • mfin
    edited July 2020

mfin said:

Aren't the G+ the older model? What I am trying to say is that maybe they've been kicking around for some time before you bought them, maybe stored in a warehouse in damp conditions or something
    Yes, older model, so possible. Although I bought them when they were current and they've been stored inside then bike stored inside since fitting them. I think it's either a defect or maybe they are a bit of a time bomb because of the way they are made. Not sure.

Anyway, it's all guesswork. I know two things, that the tyre is toast and I'm glad that it happened when going uphill.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mfin said:

mfin said:

Yes, older model, so possible. Although I bought them when they were current and they've been stored inside then bike stored inside since fitting them. I think it's either a defect or maybe they are a bit of a time bomb because of the way they are made. Not sure.

Anyway, it's all guesswork. I know two things, that the tyre is toast and I'm glad that it happened when going uphill.
    Maybe they've just been around too long and the glue has degraded. Which reminds me that I have a pair too, which has been around for a couple of years... maybe time to flog them to some punter on ebay... :D
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes could be old stock. I recently fitted some pro4s I forgot about then found in the garage. First ride was a hot day and the central strip on one is coming away at the edges and the sidewalls of both look like some kind of adhesive has seeped into them. No idea where or when I bought them but must be a few years.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    Just get rid of them and put some GP5000 on your wheelset.
  • ibr17xvii
    zest28 said:

Just get rid of them and put some GP5000 on your wheelset.

If you can get them on.......... :o
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    mfin said:

Luckily it happened going uphill, amazingly the tube stayed inflated.

The tread seemed to come away from the casing, and the tube pressure made the tyre bulge and deform. Happened with a bang, wheel sent a bit out of true as well.

If you've got a batch number, can you DM me with it please as I'm running the same on the rear of the TT bike.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.