Wheels, wheels, wheels. Probably the most talked about thread.

Hi all. I’m looking at getting some new wheels for my TCR rim brake. Been looking at Hunt aero race wide, DT Swiss pr1600 spline 32, fulcrum racing 4 c17 and Campagnolo scirocco c17 35. Any recommendations on either set or any faults you’ve encountered would be greatly appreciated. Don’t really want to go carbon as I can’t justify the price when essentially they are a wear and tear part on a rim brake bike.
Thanks

Comments

• dynamokev
    dynamokev Posts: 38
    Not the same, but if my experience of Racing 5 LG disc wheels is anything to go by I'd avoid Fulcrum like the plague. Crap design means water and other muck gets in the freehub and bearings very easily. Only had them since September and already on third freehub and front bearings. Waiting for some Borg 22s to arrive from Cycle Clinic which by all accounts are bombproof.
  • drexel1975
    drexel1975 Posts: 70
    Got a set of wheels from Ben Sharp at Sharp Precision Wheels. Excellent customer service and great wheels. Fully customisable. Recommends options rather than pushing you towards things that you may not need.
  • I’ve just had a set built by Harry Rowland, great wheels that feel great on the bike and very reasonably priced. Told Harry what I wanted out of them and my weight etc and they were built for me and sent very promptly. Highly recommend
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I'll have a bit of a summarise of what this thread will say:

1) Buy handbuilts
    2) Hunts are great
    Insert bike here:
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited July 2020
    Just in case you wanted to be overwhelmed with options, DCR and Wheelsmith are two more producers of handbuilt wheels who I've only got good things to say about.

• shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    mpatts said:

1) Buy handbuilts
    2) Hunts are great

1, Agreed
    2, Don't know personally but the consensus on here is usually that they're ok wheels at a premium price that reflects the expensive marketing and not necessarily the quality of the components.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    shortfall said:

mpatts said:

1) Buy handbuilts
    2) Hunts are great

1, Agreed
    2, Don't know personally but the consensus on here is usually that they're ok wheels at a premium price that reflects the expensive marketing and not necessarily the quality of the components.
    I would say decent wheels at a middling price point, with excellent customer service. Their wheels aren't without fault (I've gone through a couple of freehubs over four years of all weather riding) but on the occasions when I have had a problem, they've been very quick to respond and have replaced parts at their own expense.
  • deebeegee
    deebeegee Posts: 9
    Just to add. I got a set of the Pave 28s from Superstar. 32 spoke (I'm heavy at 100kg and reasonably powerful - blame years of rugby and cricket) and they're bang on with the weight, spin very easily and Superstar are confident enough to offer excellent back up on them.