Upgrade or start again?

Hey,

I've got a Rockrider 540 which is falling to bits, but I like the frame etc. My sus is bust, wheels at bit bent and spokes broken, bent chain, needs new tyres, seat, grips...etc basically well loved!

I've got about £500 to spend on replacing it, and I'd have probably just bought a new bike to replace it. However, I can't find a new bike for love nor money..

So that's got me wondering, could I upgrade my bike with a similar amount of money?

What I need...
  • New wheels
  • New Tyres
  • Front forks
  • Seat
  • Grips
  • Pedals
  • Chain
What I'd like
  • Change to a 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 etc
What would be ace
  • Dropper..
But I know nothing about what a good component from the above list is...where I should overspend or underspend etc

Can anyone help? Target use is a fair amount of local brideways, the odd small jump every now and then, and a couple of trips a year to wales to do some blue/red routes...

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    I’ve been scratching my head on this as how best to help and have come up with 3 options that aren’t too helpful but give you an idea on the dilemma that you are facing:
    1. Buy new - if you were to go down this route you will blow your entire budget on the wheels and forks alone
    2. Buy secondhand using eBay, Facebook marketplace etc. But by doing this you run the risk of unwittingly buying faulty goods
    3. A combination of the 2.
    Buying new leaves you with a problem of having to buy the lower end stuff To fit your budget and with most things especially in the MTB world the phrase ‘buy cheap, buy twice’ often rings true.
    Try looking at a few online bike shops for the best deals. On a recent build I used companies like Rose Bikes and Lordgun. They are not based in the uk so delivery is more expensive, but what you pay for delivery you more than save in their cheaper prices.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd look for good used parts off evilbay, facebook market place and other classifieds (such as here or pinkbike). You could put together a nice spec bike for £500 with some care.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnwards
    johnwards Posts: 10
    I guess my biggest problem with stuff buying right now is I don't know what forks/wheels I could buy.

Options around sizes confuse me, and I'm not even sure how to find out what the right size is for my bike other than I know it's got 27" wheels :)

TBH I'm happy at putting on what I'd get at a £500 entry-level bike, then maybe splashing out for a slightly higher level on a specific component.

Take https://www.wiggle.co.uk/rockshox-judy-silver-tk-solo-air-forks for example, is that entry range, mid range? I've no clue....sorry Noobie here! Also the size, 42mm Rak, no clue!

Could really do with some specific pointers like "this fits" then I can work back and forth on spec/price/new/used etc!

Thanks everyone for sticking with the noob (I'm 41 I feel like I shouldn't use that word)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    johnwards said:

Hey,

I've got a Rockrider 540 which is falling to bits, but I like the frame etc. My sus is bust, wheels at bit bent and spokes broken, bent chain, needs new tyres, seat, grips...etc basically well loved!

Sounds more like totally unloved!

Not meaning to sound nasty, but if you can't maintain the bike do you think you'll be able to upgrade/rebuild it?
    You're probably better off scouring the sale sites (eBay, Pinkbike, Singletrack World, etc) and getting a good second-hand bike. They are out there if you are patient.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • johnwards
    JBA said:

Sounds more like totally unloved!

Fair comment. Look at this as a project to learn how to maintain :wink:
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Learning to do your own maintenance is a must. So many problems can be fixed in minutes if you know what you are doing.

If you are going to go down the upgrade route then don't forget to factor in the cost of any tools you will need. Looking at your list of parts you need I'd suggest the following tools as a minimum:
    • Decent set of allen keys
    • Pedal spanner, maybe
    • Tyre levers
    • A decent pump
    • Shock pump if you get air forks
    • Chain splitter
    • Bottom bracket tool
    • Cassette ring tool
    • Torque wrench
    If you get new forks you will need to get the steerer cut to the correct length and a strangled nut fitted. You may also need to get a new headset fitted. These jobs are best done by your LBS as this will be much cheaper than buying the tools that you may never use again.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • johnwards
    Bumped into the owner of my LBS last night and ran this crazy idea past him.

He was very patient and explained it would only be cost effective if I'm spending well northwards on 1500 on a bike usually.

Ah well, I'll just have to wait till stock comes back and hobble along on what I have at the moment.

He did say he's expecting stock August/September.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    John why not sell current bike add funds to your £500 you will certainly be able to get a good second hand model.
    So Far!
  • johnwards
    I worry about a second hand bike, getting one as unloved as mine as I'm not sure what I'm looking for tbh. I'm not yet clued up about bike tech to take that jump informed enough. Any pointers welcome!

Hoping for some of the Calibre or Vitus Nucleus bikes to come back in a few months as those will do just nicely I think.