Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Removing tubeless valve stem

dandancpdandancp Posts: 2
Seems like a dumb question but I don’t want to damage anything. How do it remove this stem? I thought it would just push out but it’s not moving. Is it a push or a twist? I’ve removed the nut and washer from the other side.

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,205
    Mine push out after removing the locking nut on the outside of the rim, they are very tight though. Might help if you name the bike or the rims themselves.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 8,257
    edited 17 July
    Remove the valve core and tap with a light mallet, l have had to do it occasionally, I think with tightening up to tight and the sealant they tend to stick to the rim tape / rim
    Just a light tap though, have the valve in the 6 o’clock position on something soft
  • brundonbianchibrundonbianchi Posts: 340
    edited 17 July
    Once the nut and little washer are removed, it’s just a case of pushing it in. They can be tough, because of any cured sealant, but they will budge with a light tap from a mallet if needs be. Make sure the valve is covered with the cap before you tap it, if you want to reuse it though.
  • lesfirthlesfirth Posts: 1,075
    If your "final solution" for fixing a tubeless puncture is to fit an inner tube you will have to do this at the side of the road. Probably in the rain. I think I will leave the innertube at home in future.
  • dandancpdandancp Posts: 2
    Thanks all, will give that a try. My final solution for fixing a tubeless puncture on the side of a road is Uber XL!
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,205
    Tyre worms or plugs for all holes is the answer.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • brundonbianchibrundonbianchi Posts: 340
    oxoman said:

Tyre worms or plugs for all holes is the answer.

Good luck with that on a typical road bike tyre.