Issue with new Ribble carbon frame

Morning folks

My new Ribble 872 arrived last week. I've noticed half the top of the seat tube appears to be unpainted carbon fibre- the bottom edge is slightly rippled which stops the seat clamp sitting quite true.

I have emailed Ribble but their response times are pretty dire at the moment. My thoughts are they should swap the bike (I commute on it so can't really be without)

Does this seem likely would you think?

Many thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Not good enough and a bit surprised, 'cause Ribble is usually pretty good
    left the forum March 2023
  • Rilkal47
    Rilkal47 Posts: 26
    It does look like a flaw to me. I would speak to them, I called the other day and was only on hold for 15 mins.

The chap was most helpful.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not so much a 'flaw' as poor preparation/masking while in the paint shop. It could be sanded back, but Ribble should probably swap it for another. Having the seat collar at an angle like that risks placing some undue stress on that area of the frame/seat post.
  • minibbb
    minibbb Posts: 5
    Thanks chaps. I just got through by phone and he said it is likely a protective film and to peel it off.

I have tried and there is nothing to get any purchase on- tried carefully with a knife blade with no joy so have emailed them again further to see what they suggest
  • minibbb
    minibbb Posts: 5

Not so much a 'flaw' as poor preparation/masking while in the paint shop. It could be sanded back, but Ribble should probably swap it for another. Having the seat collar at an angle like that risks placing some undue stress on that area of the frame/seat post.

Thanks matey you commented just as I replied. I tend to agree re the angle- can't be ideal. I'll see what they come back with.

Does it look like a film over the carbon as they say? If it is it's virtually cemented on there!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    The old r872 had a double height twin bolt clamp which is quite nice; that way the collar could clamp around the post and the tube.